Taurus 1911 ambi safety removal - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-31-2008, 02:23 PM

Taurus 1911 ambi safety removal

Hi everyone, I've owned my PT1911 from Taurus for about a year now (my only regret is I bought the blued, and not the stainless) and I couldn't care less for the ambi safety. My right side hasn't broke yet, and I know I can simply remove that side, which is what I'm comtemplating doing.

Has anybody used their PT1911 for an extended period with the right side safety removed? I'm most worried about getting gunk infiltrating the gun from the hole where I simply removed the safety. I'd say a little bit of duct tape would make a good temporary blockoff till I can get a new safety conversion, but the huge Taurus logo on the side has used up my ugly allowance. jk jk, I kid cause I love.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai9100 View Post
Hi everyone, I've owned my PT1911 from Taurus for about a year now (my only regret is I bought the blued, and not the stainless) and I couldn't care less for the ambi safety. My right side hasn't broke yet, and I know I can simply remove that side, which is what I'm comtemplating doing.

Has anybody used their PT1911 for an extended period with the right side safety removed? I'm most worried about getting gunk infiltrating the gun from the hole where I simply removed the safety. I'd say a little bit of duct tape would make a good temporary blockoff till I can get a new safety conversion, but the huge Taurus logo on the side has used up my ugly allowance. jk jk, I kid cause I love.

You can black out the Taurus Logo with a cold blue kit pretty easy, my pics in the "Show your Taurus" thread that is at the top of the forum will show what it looks like. Looks cool all in black like that I think.

On to the safety:

DO NOT USE A "HALF-A-SAFETY" IN YOUR GUN. Just buy a new single side unit and replace it.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 PM

I do plan on getting a new one-side safety...soon. First on my list are new grips, then new sights, then new safety.

I saw the pics of your gun, very interesting! Can you get some close up photos of that logo area? How close does it mimic the factory finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai9100 View Post
I do plan on getting a new one-side safety...soon. First on my list are new grips, then new sights, then new safety.

I saw the pics of your gun, very interesting! Can you get some close up photos of that logo area? How close does it mimic the factory finish?
Yeah, I will try and get some closer pics for you, but please change the defective safety first, then do your other stuff second. The Cold Blue matched the slide pretty damn close and unless you look with a magnifying glass, you really can not tell. It is easy to do the job using a q-tip and taking your time.

If you are that worried about messing up your gun I would be glad to do it for you if you want, you just need pay to ship the slide. But it is easy to do yourself if you take your time.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:01 PM

I think you mis-understood my original post. Theirs absolutely nothing wrong with my factory ambi safety. I don't like it that much, I'd rather have a smaller left side safety like all the other 1911 i've owned/shot.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Hello,

I'm a left hander.

I can send you a single side, small teardrop 1911a1 style safety. It's a takeoff part from a build I did. Color is blue.

It should fit. If it does, you could send me the ambi safety (I review them, being a lefty) if you'd have no further need for it. If the single side either doesn't fit or you don't want to part with the ambi, consider the one I send you a gift.

If this sounds like something you'd like to do, shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Josh <><
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Ambi safety not so safe for me

I am searching for info regarding switching out my big ambi safety for a shortened single sider....

I just joined this forum as a I searched for "taurus 1911 safety".
I need a shortened single sided safety, but haven't yet discovered if it is a direct switch-out.

Because of the big-double sided safety, my weapon is often found in my holster cocked and no safety on...scary! i need to get rid of those big paddles! Is anyone else having this issue?
Is there a direct replacement part?
thanks.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windage View Post
I am searching for info regarding switching out my big ambi safety for a shortened single sider....

I just joined this forum as a I searched for "taurus 1911 safety".
I need a shortened single sided safety, but haven't yet discovered if it is a direct switch-out.

Because of the big-double sided safety, my weapon is often found in my holster cocked and no safety on...scary! i need to get rid of those big paddles! Is anyone else having this issue?
Is there a direct replacement part?
thanks.
Nothing like hijacking a thread and a OLD one at that. Start your own thread for better results.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Highjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycat View Post
Nothing like hijacking a thread and a OLD one at that. Start your own thread for better results.
Rockycat...I will start a new thread, but did you read all of this thread? My questions didn't really highjack the topic in a new direction, since the original poster had the same issue of not liking his ambi either...I simply am looking for fresh info on the same topic.

Will you answer the new post with more information than you posted here?
thanks!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 PM

Read Josh's reply. It works and is exactly what I wanted/needed.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 PM

Jai,

I read Josh's offer to trade for a small GI style teardrop. Are you saying that is a direct fit? If so, I will jump on one right now.
thanks for the reply.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Yes, head on over to midway. They have them, I have josh's
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM

simple swap, thanks Jai !!

Jai shared with me the info that he discovered and I needed, that is that the ambi thumb safety can simply be removed and replaced by the typical, smaller profile "old-school" single sider with no voodoo involved.

Jai, thanks for valuable info that made my weapon safer for me....

Rockycat, thanks for nothing !
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windage View Post
Rockycat, thanks for nothing !

zing!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM

If Windage ever replys back you will see what a ZING really is. Drop in thumb safety, ooops. Search button would have done the trick.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Arise, thread!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Can I bump my own thread for lulz?