(Slightly) Disappointed with Springfield EMP - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 PM

(Slightly) Disappointed with Springfield EMP

Hi, I am new here and wanted to get opinions from anyone else who has an EMP.

I took my new EMP 9mm to the range for the first time today and had some problems. Mostly I really liked it, it shoots nice, feels good in the hand, and has a very managable recoil for a 3" barrel. (I did not field strip it first - just took it out of the box).

My only other semi-auto experience is with an M&P 9mm that I have put just over 1000 rounds through and had only 1 malf- a stovepipe FTE with really cheap ammo.

So I shot about 500 rounds today with the EMP -- I realize that is too many for most practice sessions, but I wanted to "break it in" and test it out.

I had about 6 stovepipes and 2 double feeds! It seemed to mostly happen with Magtech ammo but a few times I wasn't sure what the ammo was. I was also shooting WWB, Federal AE, and Blazer Brass. (All FMJ, normal pressure, 115 or 124 gr).

Has anyone had similar experiences with the EMP? Is some ammo better than others? Is something wrong with the gun or should I expect the problems to go away now that I've broken it down and cleaned/lubed it a bit? Should I send it back to SA? Just curious what others have experienced and what you did about it...

Cheers,

TheNeko
Old 06-14-2008, 11:24 PM

Did you try more than one mag, and if so, did it happen with other magazines? Also, one thing I've noticed with the little three inch guns, your wrists get tired quickly compared to a full size weapon, which can cause limp wristing. Limp wristing can cause a number of malfunctions. I would try shortening your sessions to no more than about a hundred rounds with the compact, and see if any failures make an appearance. Good luck with it.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 PM

I tried all 3 mags that came with it. I know at least 2 had problems and possibly all three (they are brand new of course). I have a few more on order so I will see if that makes a difference. I will also try a shorter shooting session as you suggest. I have shot my M&P for as long (3 hours) but maybe the short barrel is more susceptable to tired (limp) wrists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 AM

I have had no problems with mine at all. I have only about 500 rounds or so through it so far. Have shot American Eagle 115 FMJ. Very accurate I believe.

I have no problem shooting it many times a session. I shoot 45 first, then the EMP is nothing.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 AM

What is serial #. The EMP had problems when they first came out. Most problems were with HP. Failure to feed, failure to extract, double feeds and sometimes failure to fire. These problems mostly happen if your serial number was under 2000 to 3000. Once they got past this 2000 to 3000 mark the EMP was much better if not 100% straighten out.

Anything man made can and will mess up. If you serial # is above what I have posted above keep feeding it till you get about 750 rounds through the gun. If you are still having problems send it back to SpringField, Springfield has the best customer service out there.

My first EMP my serial # was less than 800. I had problems with feeding HP. I got lucky once I got past the 500 round mark of HP they started to feed with out any problems. It wasn't untill I got past the 1000 round mark 50/50 Hp and range ammo did mine start working 100% of the time.
MY second EMP the ser# is above 3000 and not one problem in the 1000 rounds I have put throught it.

Bryan
Old 06-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Mine is EMP37xx so I thought it might be recent enough to avoid the early problems but I'm not sure. I will follow the suggestions above and keep an eye on it. Does anyone know what the "safe" serial numbers are (after what number a correction was made)?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:55 PM

If was a new pistol, I'd thoroughly clean/lube it, and try again....

I'd be most conecerned with a double feed as being a failure to extract...

I'd pull the extractor, and check the hook, and thoroughly clean the extractor tunnel with a qtip! dry the tunnel thoroughly, no lube goes in it!

Let's hope the stovepipes might have been partially induced by relaxed grip/fatigue after 400+ rounds thru it...

(Does Springfield make any EMP mags without the large basepad? Seems a nice pistol!)
Old 06-15-2008, 10:23 PM

^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbag View Post
These problems mostly happen if your serial number was under 2000 to 3000. Once they got past this 2000 to 3000 mark the EMP was much better if not 100% straighten out.

The info I posted was direct from SpringField. I called them a couple of months ago right before I bought my second EMP and that is what they told me. The EMP's with serial # higher than 3000 have far fewer problems. I guess you were one of the unlucky one that got one that some small problems. Just send it back and SpringField and they will take care of you.

Bryan
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM

My EMP runs fine on FMJ ammo. But, with hollow points, it will FTF 2 out of 9 times in all three mags. I have only been to the range twice with about 200 rounds through it. Clean and lubricate it between sessions. I will make sure to keep it well lubed next trip out and not get concerned until I have 500-600 rounds through it.

It is a nice shooting little gun.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:32 PM

I cleaned my EMP today and lubricated it with Break-Free CLP real good. Then, went to the range late this evening. Shot 12 magazines of JHP without a problem. Then I loaded a mag with Gold Dot +P 124 gr short barrel hollow points. No problems with that either. Hopefully, the trick is to lube the EMP real good. I will get a few hundred more rounds in by the end of the week and see how it goes.

I really like shooting this pistol.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky80 View Post
I cleaned my EMP today and lubricated it with Break-Free CLP real good. Then, went to the range late this evening. Shot 12 magazines of JHP without a problem. Then I loaded a mag with Gold Dot +P 124 gr short barrel hollow points. No problems with that either. Hopefully, the trick is to lube the EMP real good. I will get a few hundred more rounds in by the end of the week and see how it goes.

I really like shooting this pistol.
I cleaned and lubed mine with CLP too so I hope I have less/no problems this weekend.

I bought a bunch of Speer GD SB ammo too but the manual says don't use +P in any of their 1911's shorter than 4 inches -- do you think that I should take SA's advice? I initially thought that it's a modern gun and it should be fine but I thought I might take their word for it on this one. That was going to be my carry ammo until I saw the warning in the manual. Thoughts...?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 AM

Well, I will probably not continue to use the +P ammo. I have read nothing but good stuff about the Gold Dot +P 124 gr short barrel though. I may call SA and ask them about that round. I bet they will not recommend it though.

Edit: I called Springfield this morning and was told that +P is OK. Understand that if you shoot +P ammo extensively, it may put excessive wear on the barrel. But, for limited shooting, we should be fine. I was specifically inquiring about the Gold Dot +P 9 mm 124 gr short barrel hollow points.

Based on this phone conversation, I will probably stick with this ammo for carry (once I am confident with the EMP). I still plan on trying other rounds such as the Remington Golden Saber.

Last edited by Micky80; 06-18-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Made a call to Springfield
Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneko View Post
Has anyone had similar experiences with the EMP? Is some ammo better than others? Is something wrong with the gun or should I expect the problems to go away now that I've broken it down and cleaned/lubed it a bit? Should I send it back to SA? Just curious what others have experienced and what you did about it...Cheers, TheNeko
At least three fellow shooters at the range bought early production EMP's and a couple have purchased more recently. Three of the five had problems with two having major problems. When one of shooters contacted Springer he was told at that point, which was early on, that the EMP was made to run on 124 gr. ammo. Two of the troubled guns ended up going back to Springer and the third straightened out on it's own after a bunch of rounds through her. The other two functioned well (basically), although I do remember comments about being somewhat ammo sensitive, or at least one of the two was.

Four of the five still have their EMP's and one gave up on the gun in frustration. The four who still have theirs are all well pleased with the EMP now.

I did handle a friends both before and after he worked his over (new trigger, grips, finish) and that gun was a very nice shooter in hand, especially after the work.

If the problems continue, ship the gun to SPRINGER and they will get her running well.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM

BTW, Magtech ammo is *very* dirty. I shot only 50 rounds of this stuff and my TRP Pro internals were gunked up in no time. It *shouldn't* affect any feeding or shooting but I'm having my doubts now. I've used the stuff before and it's just too dirty for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcarr View Post
BTW, Magtech ammo is *very* dirty. I shot only 50 rounds of this stuff and my TRP Pro internals were gunked up in no time. It *shouldn't* affect any feeding or shooting but I'm having my doubts now. I've used the stuff before and it's just too dirty for me.
They probably got a good deal on Bullseye powder by the ton! :-)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 AM

1911's are not Glocks and need to be lubed....especially for a new pistol.

So you ran 500 rounds out of a new gun without cleaning/lubing it???
This might have contributed to your jams...

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 06-22-2008, 03:18 PM

I geussing that your problem is that the weapon was not cleaned before you fired it. also, the length of your shooting session could be something also.

I would take it out again after a cleaning and shoot the same session but with a clean weapon. by then you should know if it is a problem with the gun or something on your behalf.

as said before, 1911s need to be lubed and cleaned properly to function 100%.

for optimum performance, I would clean the pistol every 200 rounds or so. I've been doing that since I got mine and I have never had a problem. also, something that comes to mind is the heat of the pistol. after 20 rounds the pistol is too hot to touch and needs to cool down. even in the 1911 trials the pistols where allowed an hour to cool off between every 400 rounds. firing 500 rounds without stopping would make that thing hotter than hell.

Last edited by Stonyman65; 06-22-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 AM

for what it's worth

I don't have an EMP BUT, I have had similar experiences with Magtech while using it to break in a gun. Exact same malf's you described.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM

Emp

I just got one (EMP) sat. and went to thr range sun. with 200 hundred rounds, some hollow points some fmj.and am happy to say I love mine
no ftf fte. and it can shoot . after a good clening it's back to the range.