Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC3 View Post
former USMC:

I think $600 per/yr ($50 per/mo) is out of sight. I belong to a new Range that charges $300 per/yr & if you can muster up 3 more shooters it's only $200 each.

I'd keep looking around.....
The actual price is 1200 a year but I thought that 500 would still be high but better than the unrealistic price of 1200; Although I guess if they charge that, someone actually pays that!

I am going to keep looking around. Thanks for the advice.

I come in peace! I didn't bring artillery, but I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes; If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Old 05-01-2008, 11:41 AM

Think about reloading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus109 View Post
It's getting pretty expensive to be a recreational shooter around here. The range I go to charges $15 to shoot (all day pass), and two boxes of Blazer Aluminum cost me a little over $25. I go through 100 rounds in about an hour, at a leisurely pace. If that's all the time I've got to shoot, it ends up costing me a bit over $40.

I guess the cost to shoot will be a little less after I pick up my M&P 9mm. Same charge to shoot, but I can go through 100 rounds for only $20. Hmm, not much of a savings, and not as much fun.

What are range fees like elsewhere?
I'll bet the people in "Merry Olde England," Japan, China, Canada, etc. would give their left nut to be able to go shooting - at any price.

Let's not lose sight of that.

Exercising your liberty teeth is not cheap but at least we can still do it - for now.

If you want to shoot centerfire, reloading is the way to go. You can reload for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of new FMJ ammo for .45ACP. It gets down to 1/4 to 1/3 if you cast your own lead bullets.

Reloading equipment pays for itself very quickly - and you get to shoot more. It's your basic win/win situation.

"When one gets in bed with The Government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." Ron Paul
Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 AM

The local indoor range charges $ 12.00 per hour but it is a bring your own ammo so I can save a little there. Other than the price the only problem is that you can not shoot any rifles other than a 22LR and no cartridges that is over 2000 fps I believe. But I am lucky enough to have a free public range about 35 minutes away so I go there more than I go to the indoor range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 AM

To me, anyone that takes the time to complain about ammo costs really needs to think about starting to reload.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM

When I have to go to a range, it costs me $7.50 per hour officially. The guys don't really care how long you stay though. When I'm home for a visit we just head out to an old strip mine and shoot there. Doesn't cost a dime.

As for ammo cost, reloading is the only way to go. I save over 50% by doing do. I couldn't afford to shoot if I had to buy factory ammo.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them. -- Thomas Paine
Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 AM

range fees

$15 a day, which isn't too bad, but you have to buy their targets- so most of us bring target patches so we can keep shooting up the same man-size target they sell. And you have to shoot at maximum distance, you can't set your target at like 10-15 feet for close quarter practice. Kind of a rip-off!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 PM

I tend to get the 100 round Winchester White Box from Wallmart for $20 (45 ACP)
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 PM

No matter what your range fees, shooting is overall cheaper than golf, and more fun and more relaxing.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 PM

I pay $45/year membership to my gun club, plus a non-work assessment fee of $25/year. $70/year is a damn good price, and cheaper than buying my own land to shoot on! I used to help out more and didnt have to pay the extra $25, but my girlfriend is important to me on weekends, and im only helping the club by giving them the extra $25. They have plenty of retired guys that help out any chance they can get

I reload my .45acp so $5/50 (untill my 1200 bullets left run out, then the price is going to...almost double), .22 is about 15/500 average for what i shoot...hehe im a cheapskate I think the .44cal Remington cap and ball revolver I just got is going to end up costing more than the .45acp to shoot but nothin like a big cloud of smoke from a blackpowder (pyrodex) revolver

Last edited by woodchuckssuck; 05-12-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM

I don't watch too close because it just brings me down. money is only good for counting so I figure I should put it to work. If the fun-fund is healthy I go and don't sweat it.

However, today I went to vent some frustration and try a model of 1911 I'm thinking about buying. Indoor range, one person lane, 1 poster sized target, gun rental, 3 boxs of magtech 45acp, eyes, and ears (yeah I just happened to be in the neighborhood and didn't have any of my stuff along)...$89. Money well spent because I figure i should probably see if I like the gun before I spend $1200 on it and I was low on 45 brass to reload, but jeez

Single lane indoor at the place is $20 (10 more to share with one or two people). unlimited time, unlimited number of guns you can bring in with you. It adds up if you go a lot, but i really only go frquently between march and now when the weather is more or less to crappy (ie cold and rainy) to be outside anyway.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM

I belong to Mass Rifle. It's $100 a year and its 24x7, all and all I think its a great setup.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 PM

Outdoor Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertac45 View Post
Free at the old gravel pits I go to. I havn't checked the range price lately, was $10 a hour which is crazy.
I live just outside Detroit, so we just step out the side door and blast away indiscriminately into the night sky
Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
No matter what your range fees, shooting is overall cheaper than golf, and more fun and more relaxing.
Sawbones, I never shot a golf. Are they hard to hit? Are they good eating?
Just curious...what do you use to shoot 'em with, handgun, scattergun? 50 CAL. BMG?..

Sorry, I just had to do it....
J.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 PM

Golf balls explode nicely when hit with a 230 gr .45 acp. Just takes a while to learn how to lead them properly.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberguy2004 View Post
This thread got me curious so I called the only indoor range here in Austin to see what a membership costs.. $400 a year.. But anyone here that knows Red would understand..
Red's is pretty spendy for what you get, but then again when you live around Austin, its almost surprising that there are ranges at all. I've shot at Red's twice with my Uncle who lives in Round Rock - actually fired my first shot from my first 1911 there. But, I don't plan on going back. Finally bought some property for myself, and have my own range set up. Cost = $300 to rent a Bobcat for a weekend to dig fence posts and $100 for some dirt. Now if only brass was cheaper...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:15 PM

Omaha, NE indoor range fee is
$6.00 Half Hour
$9.00 Hour

If join membership
$100.00
1/2 for LEO's and Service Men Ladies

Memberships are available for one year and include the following benefits: 50% off range time and gun rental (non full-auto), 10% off ammo, targets, and most in store merchandise and 5% off new or used firearms in stock!

You can use your own ammo.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 PM

Around here, at the gunshop I purchase all my guns from, they give you a pass for 10 trips to their indoor range, and since I purchase at least one a month that pretty much covers me for range fee's. Here, he charges $10 a range visit, or 49.99 a year membership. A long while back, natchess shooters had a sale on CCI brass cased 230gr fmj ammo at 6.97 a box, I think I purchase just about all they had as shipping charges ran nearly 150 bucks.

I did run into some .45 auto ammo somewhere on the web for under 10 bucks for 50, so I'm gonna try and backtrack myself and find it, and when I do I'll post the link.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:08 PM

In NC I go to an indoor range that offers pay as you go or a year membership.
It's $25 per visit 1 hour max I think) or $200 per year which includes unlimited time for me AND my wife. That works out to be about $.55 a day. I also get a member discount on firearms and ammo. I average about $40 per hour too
Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus109 View Post
Central Montana - Annual family membership is $20.00. Life Membership is $500.00. No other fees or dues. Bring your own ammo.

The shooting complex is 160 acres and more often than not, I have the place to myself.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 PM

Was $12 a day last time I went, might be up to 15 now.Though I rarely stay more than an hour and a half,even if the cost worked out to be the same, it would really bug me if the charge was hourly.It would take some fun out of it, knowing a meter was running,though I can easily afford whatever it might be.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:58 AM

$9 bucks an hour at one of my favorite indoor ranges here in NW Indiana. A buddy and I are usually there for about two hours, but they never complain. We're semi-regular customers, and we spend a butt load of money on stuff on the way in, and a second time on the way out. Free public ranges are about 40 minutes away, but they're crowded on weekends. I only use them when shooting blackpowder or high power rifle.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 PM

I started figuring out the cost of the range visit at $17/hour and shooting .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim. and....

I bought the one year membership for $186 with tax so after 11 visits it will go down below $17 per hour, no charge for range visits.

I also bought a CZ 75B 9MM and the WaMart WWB 100 rds for $18
and the Kadet .22 LR Conversion Kit is towards the top of my next to
get items. So, I don't shoot as much .45 ACP in the 1911 but
still do a box.

I also take my S&W 617 6" Bbl. 10 shot .22 LR not only cheap but
a really fun gun.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM

At my range, $16.80 an hour, or $340 a year, unlimited shooting. With decent .45's going for $18 a box now, I've let my membership lapse.

I used to shoot every Saturday, 150 rounds. That's when I could get Remmy UMC's for $8 a box (by the case, on sale). At $18 a box, I shoot once a month, and even then it costs me ~$85 a visit. Even shooting my AR has gotten ridiculous. $8+ a box for .223's?????? I'm hoping once the war is over, these obscene prices will drop.