Single Stack Pistol Gun: Spartan or Taurus? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-26-2007, 08:51 PM

Single Stack Pistol Gun: Spartan or Taurus?

Looking for new Single Stack gun in 45 and trying to determine which would best fit my needs in this category. Let me say up front I posted this specifically in the Competitive Shooting forum because I only want to get input based on shooting them in SSP Class- there are already a ton of 'Spartan v STI v RIA Tactical' threads around. But specifically how does the STI stack vs Taurus for SSP. Either purchase would be used 'as-is' and I'm not going to sink a bunch of $ into a 600$ gun; only costly addition to either would be a mag well. STI would get skateboard tape frontstrap; Taurus would get fiber-optic front (depending on how I adjusted to the Heine's).

I understand some shoots pay out a contingency for STI guns....as a very smalltime competitor C Class shooter I seriously doubt that would ever be a factor for me.

STI Advantages:

Fiber Optic Front
Adj. Rear

Taurus Advantages:

Ambidex. Safety
Lifetime Warranty
Checkered Frontstrap
'Reportedly' Better out of box triggers
Polished Feed Ramp

I'm sure both would work well and are great for the $, but I enjoy viewing different opinions and welcome them all.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 AM
More Cowbell...

Get the STI.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Another vote for the STI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Ummm. OK, 2 votes for the STI,,,,,which begs the question- WHY?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:41 PM

I would have to say STI simply because I've handled the Taurus. I went with the intentions of buying a Taurus and couldn't do it. I'm as cheap as anybody and enjoy inexpensive guns, but don't see ever owning a Taurus 1911. There are plenty of happy Taurus owners, but the Spartan hasn't disapointed any that I've heard of either. For the price difference the STI (to me) is a no-brainer. Go handle a Taurus and decide for yourself.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:32 PM

Another vote for the STI.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 PM

STI.

Better gun and they give huge support to the shooting sports.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:47 PM

The only STI gun I ever shot was a slick-running and accurate pistol. That experience, combined with the poor QC I have seen in Taurus revolvers, would make me pick the STI and never look back.

Visit us at The Sixgun Journal or the archive, at http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/
Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsexton
Ummm. OK, 2 votes for the STI,,,,,which begs the question- WHY?
If you don't like it, you will be able to get your money right back out of the STI...
Old 01-27-2007, 08:05 PM

HMMM.
The responses seem to be overwhelmingly STI....

Quick questions:

are these still 'in stock' from STI?

Their website is a bit vague on what their warranty coverage. Is it lifetime?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:47 PM

STI.

My friend Greg has put countless rounds through an STI 9mm and it won't quit. He shoots more than anyone I know and usually with that STI.

It now looks terrible and is missing bluing all over the place, but he doesn't care and the gun doesn't seem to either.

Brent
Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 PM

STI.

At only $600, that's a lot of money left over for ammo.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
HMMM.
The responses seem to be overwhelmingly STI....

Quick questions:

are these still 'in stock' from STI?

Their website is a bit vague on what their warranty coverage. Is it lifetime?
Warranty on firearms? make sure your lawyer reviews it. Are you reloading your ammo or using factory? I understand you only want magwell but customizing your gun is like eating doritos...you can't stop. I suggest you don't base your decision "mostly" on warranty. Let us know which one you buy. Good luck.
BTW, +1 for STI. Last I heard you might need to wait to get the Spartan..couple of months.

Last edited by palcapt; 01-29-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Hello: I would look at the STI and also Kimber custom II and some Springfields as well. There are alot of good pistols out there for under $800. Thanks Eric
Old 01-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Get the STI. I saw one at a local shop this past weekend for $519.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM

Follow up:
Well, that's it, the STI wins. STI is out of inventory for the first production run of Spartans imported into the US. They did help me find a dealer with a few in stock. Seems the next production run will hit our US shores Feb 1st (ish) and changes to be made are the FLGR will be drilled for easier takedown and the hammer will be changed to a std styl commander hammer. Glad I got in on the first set as the squated STI style hammer is just the bomb! STI told me they pretty much had a lifetime warranty on their guns for 'reasonable wear n tear' along with the 'if you're stoopid and take a dremel to our gun we wown't warranty that' which should go without saying but some people get an inch and try to get a mile. Prices on the first batch were 'accidentally low' due to import rules and the excise tax, so it seems some of the first guns went in the 570$ range, but from here on out 594$ will be relatively a std price.

Range report to follow??????
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 AM

Good deal. I have the feeling that you are going to be pleasantly suprised with how much gun you are going to get for less than $600. STI really has a winner on their hands with the Spartan IMHO.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 AM

After looking at the Taurus I decided to get the Spartan even though I have only seen pictures of it. The PT1911 I saw had a light mainspring maybe in a effort to get a light trigger and I did not like what they had done to the Heinie Sight. Based on reviews here and on other forums by well know shooters and pistolsmiths I have placed an order for the Spartan.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 AM

I have an STI wannabe - RIA Tactical. Maybe one day I can join the Club. All three guns are priced well for what you get. OTOH I would not buy the Taurus because of the funky 80 Series safety.
While I do not feel there is any need for an adjustable sight on a pistol that would not stop me from getting the STI.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM

The Spartan has landed. Posting impressions and etc over on the STI forum from now on! Then later on to the range reports when I have some range time and data to post.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The Spartan has landed.
Congrats on your new Spartan.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Looking for new Single Stack gun in 45 and trying to determine which would best fit my needs in this category. Let me say up front I posted this specifically in the Competitive Shooting forum because I only want to get input based on shooting them in SSP Class- there are already a ton of 'Spartan v STI v RIA Tactical' threads around. But specifically how does the STI stack vs Taurus for SSP.
What is "SSP Class"? Since you've bought the gun already, it's a moot issue, but since you wanted it for a specific reason, it would have helped to know which sport/division.

I don't think you meant "stock service pistol" in IDPA, but probably meant either the provisional 1911 Single Stack Division in USPSA or a gun that is suitable for the 1911 Single Stack Classic?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:57 PM

IPSC: Single Stack Pistol, aka Single Stack Division.
SSP is the best, it keeps costs reasonable, guns are level and it's just plain fun!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:11 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
SSP is the best, it keeps costs reasonable, guns are level and it's just plain fun!
You do realize that IDPAs SSP Division does not allow single action guns like 1911s?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Thanks.
I don't know the technical term, but all I shoot is IPSC with a 1911 with mags of 8 rds, and everyone else in my class shoots the same gun with 8rds in the mags. SSP? SSD? Dunno. But appreciate the input.