"Are you a police officer?" Strange Exchange at the Range - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-05-2003, 11:34 AM

Yeah......I get that all the time. Go figure!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 01:43 PM

"are you a police officer?"

This could be a legitimate and honest question that this person asked you, and on it's face, it appears to be. When you look at it from a safety viewpoint however, I think that it is extremely strange for someone to ask you something like that at a range that is off the side of the road or in a shooting area in a park. If you think about it, it is not really rational for someone who is a regular shooter, or even shoots occasionally, but not every day or week to ask a question like that, or especially make a statement such as " I just asked because you were really 'blazing it up' out there". The person who asked you could have had a legitimate interest in asking you, or they could have perhaps watched too many television shows and movies about police, and how they shoot or act. Really, the majority of police officers (not all, but surely alot) use their firearms purely as a tool of their trade, and rarely if ever practice shooting, let alone at an area other than a training range which is sanctioned by the Police Dept. Lots only shoot when they have to, and during their qualification and recertifications. Up here in Alaska, I see lots of Police officers and State Troopers shooting for practice and for fun, but I think that nationwide, that happening is an exception.
I am leery of people who ask strange questions such as the one that you were asked, because I have read too many reports and heard from too many people about someone asking a question such as the one proposed to you, and then being assaulted, or harassed when answering either " no" or "yes".
Beware of people who act strangely, especialy when dealing with firearms and other dangerous objects.
The question could have and probably was genuine, but I usually keep my hearing protection on, even when not shooting when I am at areas like the one described, but I remain highly attentive to my other senses, and am constantly checking my surroundings for threats. This way you can be safe, and avoid or deal with problems appropriately, but you appear to be concentrating on what you're doing, but very conscious of your environment so people won't try to take advantage of you since they can see that you are paying attention to what is going on, but it keeps the chatter to a minimum. Nothing wrong if someone asks you questions when you're not shooting, such as taking a break, or going to your car, but they should'nt approach you when you are off in the woods, or on a highway pullout when you're shooting.

Just be aware and cognizant of your environment and read the body language of those around you, and approaching you. Also, if you talk to someone who approaches you, make sure all of your weapons are secure and retained in your control at all times.

-Jason in AK
Old 01-13-2003, 02:14 PM

for McNamara-keep quiet about having a CCW to the general public and friends

This reply is for everyone, but specifically McNamara.

You said that many people who find out that you are getting a Concealed Handgun Permit feel that you should have a "reason", but don't 'really' mind are lying. If they truly were not bothered by law abiding citizens protecting themselves, they wouldn't give you the lame "why do you need it?" question or be telling you you don't have a reason for obtaining one. You don't need a reason. Your reason could simply be that you are excersising your 2nd Ammendment rights. Those individuals also irk me. They are closet anti-gun/ guncontrol advocates. They either don't realize, or don't care that by their pretending to be tolerant or accepting, but stating that a reason is necessary to excercise a right are just the same as a group or individual that out and outright states their opposition to the matter.

I would'nt and don't tell anyone who does'nt need to know that I have a concealed handgun permit, and I would recommend that you don't volunteer the information to anyone other than your family, not even to your friends, unless they are also shooters, and can remain quiet about it. Because it is in our nature to gossip, and the current social stigma involved with any type of firearm, the fact that you carry is information that is privy, and best kept to yourself, and a close circle family, and friends. The whole purpose of having one is to have it concealed, for self-defense, and if everyone knows, or if one of your friends just can't keep it to themselves and spills the beans to mutual acquaintances or people that you don't even know, then people will treat you like you are a violent paranoid war monger, or avoid you altogether, and most important, IT IS NO LONGER A SECRET- The concealment may be visual, but if someone is telling everyone, then the fact that it is hidden from sight is irrelevant.
It is not good to have people disclosing personal information such as the fact that you carry a weapon (excercising your 2nd Ammendment RIGHT) . From what I have seen and heard from people I know who have told that they have one to someone who doesn't need to know, and people who would love to cause problems or heartache because you carry a weapon for self defense, always seem to have someone harrassing them, looking at them in an undesirable way, or treating you much, much differently than if they did not know. Only people who are authorized to know should be told (such as LE officers, and Dept of Public Safety officials, etc...), no one else.
Some things are best when kept private.
- Jason in AK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 12:44 PM

We have a nice setup in pensacola, very informal, no double taps though, but also unsupervised, was alot of fun, and only 5 bucks to get in, will definitely be goingback. I an officer in the USAF, and was not asked if in military, or law enforcement..haha
Old 02-02-2003, 03:23 PM

They don't hang around long after breakfast

Hi Steve
Yes happened once and took the avenue of stating I was a undertaker on break.........

I will listen to them but they certainely must listern to my "Internship "

and what does a "cop" look like.......excuse my use of cop as they are also a professional as in law enforcement officer and deserve the respect of the office.........
Old 02-03-2003, 09:24 PM

A sure mark of an amateur is in his belief that a person's gun-skill level is measured in how small his groups are. Group size has very little to do with how "good" a person may be with his defensive firearm. The real indicators of a person's skill is in the ablity to do many things, a few of which are: shoot moving targets. Shoot while moving. Shoot moving targets WHILE moving. Proper use of cover and concealment. Applying tactics while clearing a room or turning a corner. Keeping your gun topped off while making sure no one is creeping up on your "six". Reloading an empty weapon automatically or clearing a malfunction without having to really think about it. etc.,etc.

Don't think, just because your local LEO might not be a human machine rest, that he can't use his sidearm in a skillful manner. After all it doesn't take a high degree of skill to shoot someone. The key is to be willing. And most of the cops that I work with are.

Chris
Old 02-03-2003, 10:37 PM

The local range here is an outdoor one. You pay $50 per year and they give you a key to the gate. Your fee entitles you to unlimited use. The facility has skeet, trap, 300 yard rifle, and a pistol range. The range is unsupervised except for skeet and trap and you can pretty well do what you want. State, county, and city LEOs use the range just about every Friday for qualifications. They fire M4, M16, and HK full auto weapons along with their shotguns and service pistols. I've been offered a chance to fire their full autos several times but always decline. I spent 30 years in the Army. Been there, done that. No one even notices a double tap or any other rapid fire drill on this range. Hell, what's a double tap when people are running a 30 rd mag through a SMG right next to you? I just make sure I'm on the side away from their ejection ports and do what I want to do.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:07 PM

>>Nobody ever said that guns attracked only the smart, responsible, non-weird, law-abiding, and mentally stable crowd, did they?<<

I'm pierced, tattoo'd, and when I have hair it's probably not a natural color.

You should see the looks I get when I pull out my .45 and start shooting,(targets, obviously, at a range too). One time the guy 2 lanes down with his kid went and spoke with the rangemaster, to make sure I was "alright to shoot here".

They get even more sketchy when they saw me sighting in my .22 bolt barrel w/scope from my grandpa's elk rifle on it, at 50yds. (wanna see that cockroach dance the macarena?).

Tim.

Sometimes I can't help giving them the crazy look, just to play with them.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:38 PM

cop?

Never been asked I if I'm a cop ...directly. I have, however, been asked if I was Sonny Crockett, given my propensity to range practice in pastel leisure suits.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I was asked by the rangemaster to cease this undignified John Woo-esque display and shoot at the more respectable 1 per second rate. Also drawing a weapon to shoot, dropping mags /tactical reloading and any kind of rapid fire was not allowed. Anybody else out there stuck with only one range within sensible driving distance and a lot of rules ?. [/B]
Yes the secret is to become the rangemaster...at our local range they have all that but I am a volunteer there and on slow days I can slide over to the insrtuctional range and go at it
Old 02-26-2003, 11:38 AM

Funny topic.

I'm a newbie to the 1911 (just bought a Springfield 1911A1 loaded about 3-4 weeks ago) but the very first time I took it out I had similar comments. I was shooting outdoors at 25 yds and just getting a feel for the gun while breaking it in. I was trying different grips weaver, strong hand, weak hand and basically just working on form & consistency and I had a couple of guys ask if I was military. I told them no and they asked if I had a coach sometime. Again I said no, I just read a bit and check up on what people say on-line. They were amazed and both commented they'd hate to be on the receiving end.

I really don't consider myself a stellar shot (shoot .22 bullseye and have shot .38/.357 revolver for years) but I really concentrate on form and being consistent. After I got a feel for the gun, I didn't have any problem keeping my shots inside of 6".

I guess too many people just go to the range to simply sling lead. (not that there's anything wrong) I prefer to make better use of my range time and actually try to improve my skills. I guess it looks to someone that by me having a purpose, I must be professional.

BTW, you guys run a great forum... great info.

Take care
wannatikka
Old 03-08-2003, 05:34 AM

I've been asked if I were a cop three times. Twice while I was driving a cab in San Francisco. Go figure

Robert Stanton
a.k.a. Galileo
Old 03-11-2003, 10:25 PM

I haven't gotten the LEO question, but I often get the military/ex-military question. Although I have never been in any of the services, I consider it an honor to be compared to those who serve. I just thank them for the compliment and then set them straight.

As far as LEO's, I seem to come across one of two varieties at the range... look as though they spend a lot of time there and are very competent, or look like they need to spend a lot more time there and are pretty incompetent with a firearm. I don't run across all that many of the latter, but when I do, it always makes me stop and think about those people who want me to call the police in an emergency, rather than defend myself.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:35 AM

WOW

First I should say that I have asked people if they were "LAW ENFORCEMENT" I used the term LE because it sounds more proffesional and respectful when inquiring. I have not always been right. At the range I frequent they conduct the shooting test for conceal carry.

Asking if there LAW ENFORCEMENT and not a cop is usually an icebreaker and for the most part it been guys qualifying for there jobs.. (We have a prison nearby) and the guards come to the range. some LEO's are a dead give away, 7 feet tall, buzzcut, built like a tank! LOL
Old 04-03-2003, 02:39 PM

Chris,

Quote:
Don't think, just because your local LEO might not be a human machine rest, that he can't use his sidearm in a skillful manner.
Well, it's a pretty good indication.

If a person demonstrates an inability to engage a stationary target at a fixed distance, it isn't likely they will demonstrate a pronounced increase in proficiency when faced higher degrees of difficulty as you described.

The "expectation" that they would might be considered "amateur", though...

Old 04-10-2003, 12:59 AM

Charles,

Among many other reasons, the first that comes to mind is that carrying, or even owning a gun makes you a target. I am reminded of a story that I do not know for sure if it is true, but still sends shivers up my spine at the thought of it actually happening.

A man, his wife and child/children are caught in a robbery/holdup/insert "bad thing happening" here. The wife says "Do something you have a gun". That comment is overheard by on of the bad guys and the man is executed on the spot. True or not, it really does not matter except maybe to the widow and her kid(s), this story gets my point across. Don't give up your advantage of surprise.

My wife knows that I carry, and she also knows this story. So I should be ok ;-)

Another possibility is theft. If word gets around that you have guns...or even better that you have lots of guns. Guess what any opportunistic criminal might want to do with that info.

Just a little something to think about...

Mike
Old 04-16-2003, 05:01 PM

chrisS wrote:
Him: Are you a police officer?

1) Damn, I keep forgetting to not wear that "FBI" cap when I'm
undercover. . .

2) No, I'm a hit man for the mob. . .

3) I work for the Mossad. . .

4) Shhhh! "They" will hear you. . . .
(while pointing at the sky)

5) I'm with the IRS. . . What's your
name. . .

6) I am. . . >THIS WEEK<

:-)

Bill Vojak
Old 04-28-2003, 01:13 PM

Oh please, try being an unsupervised chick at the range.

I don't get asked if I'm an LEO. I get asked where my husband is, because CLEARLY I need supervision. The fact that I can field strip my Kimber in record time after shooting to spray it out before the good cleaning back home means nothing.

While I certainly appreciate gentlemanly gestures, and have never begrudged a man holding open a door, or offering friendly advice; I can't help but take issue with people who think that a girl should have her husband or boyfriend with her at the range. I know the end with the big hole goes down range. I know that when I pull the trigger, there's going to be a loud noise. I also know that if I did my job right, there should be a nice hole in the paper after that noise.

Of course, at my indoor range, I eliminated that problem. I compete in IDPA, I'm not the best, but I'm not bottom of the heap either.

Though I do think I had the best comeback when I was doing some rapid fire exercise and I guy laughed and said, "I'd be scared."

I pulled in the target from the ten yard line; the light shining through the holes in the center mass and said, "No. You'd be dead, I would think."
Old 04-29-2003, 08:10 AM

No kidding. May I never have to deal with that.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:54 PM

Since when can cops shoot?

The club where I shoot gives free range use to local PD, Sheriffs and the CHP. You can usually tell when PD are shooting--by the fact that they aren't hitting their targets. Truly... last time I was there, they had 12" diam black bulls set out at 25 yards. Out of about 40 shots at the target, only about 6 were in the black. Many holes 2 feet or more from the x ring.

I think the average hobbyist pistol shooter is better than the typical law enforcement shooter, at least in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:16 AM

when i lived in texas i know that a LEO that could hit a target consistantly was a rare thing indeed. saw em at the range in their batman belt getups all the time and few if any could shoot. i have more faith in a CCW holder than a police officer being able to shoot. now that im in wisconsin things arent much different. cops i see in public have rusted guns and magazines and the ones i see on the range often violate safety rules and they still cant shoot.

yeah there are cops that can, and some frequent these boards, but they are the rare few in my belief.

my wife likes to go to the range by herself and she usually takes the sigP220 and im stuck with the P226 for the day. she prefers my .50DE but she cant cycle the slide on her own so she only shoots that when im there. makes me wonder how someone that cant cycle the slide on a DE shoots it as well as she does. sometimes she outshoots me with it *sigh*

but when i dont go with her she always tells me stories about "helpful" people at the range trying to teach her how to shoot. her best story is this one helpful guy that insisted on showing her how to clear and lock the slide back with the muzzle pointed at his own chest...
Old 05-05-2003, 01:02 PM

Yeah, where are the truly skilled guys when we need it?

Though the Hub almost took a .223 to the chest yesterday.

I'm zeroing in the new Bushmaster, taking my time, taking deep breaths, getting relaxed. I take up the slack on the trigger (there's not any actual slack on the trigger, but I don't like knowing when my shot will break) But after a few seconds, nothing happens.

Now, I know what to do. I tap the magazine, pull back the charging handle again, and for good measure, nudge the forward assist, just to make sure I'm not missing anything. Same thing happens again, no shot.

I check the safety (though I shoot a Kimber, disengaging a safety is a habit for me), and it's fine. I drop the mag, pull back the bolt, and lock it open. Once I've made sure that there are no obstructions and everything looks cool, I replace the mag, release the bolt, get the rifle back in line and release the safety. Happens a third friggin' time!

Now, at this point, I'm thinking I'm not seating the magazine right. I flip the safety switch back, drop the Mag again, and pull back the bolt to eject a shell. At least, that was my plan.

I hadn't flipped the safety switch when someone reaches across me to take the gun from me. The movement startles me and I jump, knowing if I had my finger inside the trigger gaurd, I would have just fired a round god knows where.

I swatted the Hub away and snapped at him. Then I put the gun on safety, dropped the mag and pulled back the bolt, locking it open. Then I scolded him good about sneaking up on people with guns and to never come across the firing line at me again.

He was very contrite and apologetic, explaining that he just wanted to help. Which I know, but I would rather not risk hurting him.

Any psychic powers the Hub is expected to have are shut off at the range in favor of safety. If I want help, I'll ask for it. Not out of rudeness or some disturbed sense of feminism..but out of safety.

Oh, and for the record, once we zeroed it in, the Bushmaster shot like a champ, nice jagged holes...much much fun.

I highly suggest shooting Pepsi Blue cans. The Blue fluid explosion is so worth it!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Electric_Armadillo
I used to have people ask me that alot until I changed the way I practiced. Oh, the routine is the same, draws from concealment, double taps, el Presidentes, etc. I still have a buzz cut, strong build, and shoot a plain looking .45. I just differ in the way I dress now.

I now own possibly the largest collection of ugly overshirts in existance. Bowling shirts, loud hawaiian shirts, asian mafia shirts, skater shirts, animal print shirts, plaid polyester shirts, and my currant favorite, the Sushi Assortment Shirt etc... I think of it as urban camoflauge. Now they seem too distracted by the shirts to notice my shooting.
Sounds like you and I have the same wardrobe. I dont have to worry about the shirt coming up a bit and exposing my gun, people are to busy looking at the shirt to notice.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:19 AM

My Husband wears Hawaiian shirts when he's packing too. Reminds me of a Mafia guy. But it works well.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:36 PM

I get asked if I am a cop a lot..... in fact I get asked more often if I work for the government in some capacity.... I just answer that if I told you I would have to kill you .... and smile...