Got bit by a Rhino - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 05:15 AM

Got bit by a Rhino

I tried a Chiappa Rhino last night. Put one horrible, stupid round through it.

So...in the process of holding it, forgot that it fires from the bottom of the cylinder. Mother ****er....felt like someone smashed my thumb with a flaming hot hammer. Not my brightest moment.

I am an idiot....I hate that gun.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:22 PM

When I first saw them advertised almost a decade ago, I wanted one.

When I handled the first one at a gun shop, I no longer wanted one. I didn't like the feel of the hammer. As it turns out the real hammer is internal and that external thing that mimics the look and function of an external hammer is nothing but a lever, and it just doesn't feel right. Unlike a real hammer on a S&W or any other DA/SA conventional revolver, it felt like the spring was too light nothing was really attached to it.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:38 PM

One of my buddies has one. It’s a neat looking gun. It seems to recoil more than expected but that’s just my impression. Thanks for sharing, we all do silly things from time to time.

Last edited by Chris1971; 02-18-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 07:14 PM

Sometimes there are good reasons for well-proven, conventional designs. Not to disparage inventiveness, as sometimes improvements are discovered.

Thanks Walter for sharing a bad experience that conveys and/or reinforces a few cautionary notes. Probably fair to say that it is prudent to either avoid or be exceptionally cautious with regard to firing unconventional, unfamiliar firearms.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 02-18-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the warning.

I've wondered about them for a while.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:28 PM

Same thing happened to my uncle and he sold his.He said that the trigger/hammer felt weird to him also.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:05 PM

They're just plain ugly
Old 02-22-2020, 11:41 PM

I always thought they were a bit odd. The logic of getting the bore axis low in the hand made sense, but like Kel-Tec, good ideas, bad execution.

I will admit though. I was kinda digging that blinged out Rhino that Harley Quinn was carrying in suicide squad. Naturally I'd change some of the words on it and a bit less rhinestone, but the overall look was kinda interesting. Didn't hurt that the sexy little psycho was holding it I'm sure.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW