Ordering a CMP 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 09:03 PM

Ordering a CMP 1911

I went to the CMP website to order one of their 1911’s. It looks like they are out. Does anyone know if they are getting more anytime soon? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerdave View Post
I went to the CMP website to order one of their 1911’s. It looks like they are out. Does anyone know if they are getting more anytime soon? Thanks!
They aren’t accepting anymore order packets until the roughly 19,000 orders they currently have are filled, they may eventually start accepting packets again if they have the pistols to fill the orders. Just keep a close eye on the CMP1911 page and have your packet squared away so if you get the opportunity you can mail it in as soon as possible. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 AM

If you cannot wait until they process the 19,000 orders they are doing now, you can always purchase one now through their auction on their website. I believe they currently are auctioning 4 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13 View Post
If you cannot wait until they process the 19,000 orders they are doing now, you can always purchase one now through their auction on their website. I believe they currently are auctioning 4 now.
Hi, I think that to participate in the 1911 Auction you must have been in the original lottery but have not received a pistol yet. This sounds confusing but I believe I'm right. I did see a pistol on the CMP for sale section.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=258957

This pistol is a CMP pistol,( because of the picture) but it was my understanding once purchased they were not for resale. How they will enforce this rule is any ones guess, Mike
Old 02-15-2020, 02:49 PM

They took over 19k orders for the 8000 pistols in the first Gov't release.

No official word on if there will even be another release of pistols.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:45 PM

Hi, according to the CMP Forum they are at # 11948 now, Mike

Last edited by Uncle Mike; 02-15-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:55 PM

Mike
I've seen quite a few CMP pistols for resale. Typically at $300-$400 more than the purchase price from CMP.
Have seen several on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica as well as a few at local gunshots. I was not aware of a prohibition against reselling the pistols.
Did I read that correctly? CMP is approximately a year in the 1911/1911A1 selling business and they've only processed 1198, roughly a 100 a month? Surely I've misunderstood your post.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
Mike
I've seen quite a few CMP pistols for resale. Typically at $300-$400 more than the purchase price from CMP.
Have seen several on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica as well as a few at local gunshots. I was not aware of a prohibition against reselling the pistols.
Did I read that correctly? CMP is approximately a year in the 1911/1911A1 selling business and they've only processed 1198, roughly a 100 a month? Surely I've misunderstood your post.
Hi, that should be 11948. I will correct my previous post. I've been having more senior moments then I care to contemplate, , regards, Mike
Old 02-16-2020, 05:16 AM

Mike
According to my wife, I suffer acute senior moments on an increasingly regular and recurring basis. I completely understand the challenges.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Mike
Several months ago, one of the anonymous moderators of the CMP forum made a post condemning resale of the pistols and promising to “ban” anyone found doing so “for life.”

I don’t know if the post is still up somewhere, or if it is actual CMP policy. I got tired of that forum and rarely look at it anymore.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Mike
Ya only get one 1911 in yer lifetime anyway , according to current rules.

Weren't supposed to buy any other rifles with the in tent of resale either. But when a member buys their full limit every year for 5-10yrs running , they know what's going on. I knew several local gunshops and gun show hucksters would pay eligible people to buy all the CMP guns they could.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
They took over 19k orders for the 8000 pistols in the first Gov't release.

No official word on if there will even be another release of pistols.
They got a second shipment, I believe in September, but the mods over there want it kept quiet. They said there a couple gov agencies that want the sales stopped
Old 02-21-2020, 09:15 PM

And what agencies might those be?
Department of Defense, as I understand it, is the proponent and responsible agency, specifically the Secretary of the Army is the decision maker with respect to how many pistols, when and to whom they are released. As i recall, there was a schedule published outlining numbers and describing a time line.
I've seen nothing bubble up in the liberal House of Representatives, even by the anti gun nuts, talking about delaying the issuance and sale of the pistols.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
And what agencies might those be?
Department of Defense, as I understand it, is the proponent and responsible agency, specifically the Secretary of the Army is the decision maker with respect to how many pistols, when and to whom they are released. As i recall, there was a schedule published outlining numbers and describing a time line.
I've seen nothing bubble up in the liberal House of Representatives, even by the anti gun nuts, talking about delaying the issuance and sale of the pistols.
If I recall, he didn't directly say, but the feeling I got was one of them was the Army. I could be wrong it's been a while, and I don't think he named them, but they closed the thread.

Last edited by mtime7; 02-25-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/VA View Post
Several months ago, one of the anonymous moderators of the CMP forum made a post condemning resale of the pistols and promising to “ban” anyone found doing so “for life.”

I don’t know if the post is still up somewhere, or if it is actual CMP policy. I got tired of that forum and rarely look at it anymore.
The warning was placed on the 1911 sales page, and then was parroted around the forum. They have since taken it down. It was a veiled threat aimed at curbing people from buying for resale profiteering. Obviously that still happens, probably by people who don't know the CMP threatened it or don't care.

Link to 1911 Sales page: https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/1911-information/

Screenshot capture of the old "threat" post:

Old 02-28-2020, 05:04 PM

being that they received them for free and sell them for 1k x 15,000 so far thats been doled out , comes out to 15 million bucks and they are worried that some people will sell them on the open market ! I bet there are less than 2-5 % that will sell and half of those will sell for profit the other half will sell for necessity , life happens sometimes you gotta sell whether you want to or not.
I know of dealers/ at gun shows that order 5-8 garands a year and sell them for 25%-30 % more than what they paid for them.buy for
they are yours to do as you please they didn't come with a restriction at the beginning that was an after thought on there part.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM

I "think" what they wanted was for ordinary Joes to get these, not dealers looking to make a buck. Many have criticized the CMP for selling "mixmasters" for premium prices. I keep my eyes open and for similar clean mixmasters I see them going for well over what the CMP is selling them for, even without the provenance of coming straight from the military and being the first civilian to own them. I have always wanted a government issue 1911 and was lucky to snag a very clean field grade 1913 version with a 1943 Remington Rand slide from the CMP for $950 and have not seen one as nice as mine for less than that on Gun Broker. I say good on them for getting these 1911 in civilian hands to enjoy for a reasonable price. I will bet in a few years with the political environment this will not be a possibility.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:30 PM

I agree with Dan13. The resell issue is aimed at folks who buy to sell at a profit. Many do it every year with the Garand rifles. I have seen many, many of them at gun shows in my area. Likely started out as rack and field grade rifles. Sitting on tables with $1500. price tags on them.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13 View Post
I "think" what they wanted was for ordinary Joes to get these, not dealers looking to make a buck. Many have criticized the CMP for selling "mixmasters" for premium prices. I keep my eyes open and for similar clean mixmasters I see them going for well over what the CMP is selling them for, even without the provenance of coming straight from the military and being the first civilian to own them. I have always wanted a government issue 1911 and was lucky to snag a very clean field grade 1913 version with a 1943 Remington Rand slide from the CMP for $950 and have not seen one as nice as mine for less than that on Gun Broker. I say good on them for getting these 1911 in civilian hands to enjoy for a reasonable price. I will bet in a few years with the political environment this will not be a possibility.
It might be just one year, this is an election year.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:21 PM

Just picked mine up at my LGS last night. 1943 Remington Rand frame and Slide. Ordinance Department marked and has Col. Frank Atwood's stamp. No rebuild mark on the slide, so I believe that it maybe a replacement. Barrel is 7791193 replacement, MS on right side, MP on left side. Marked as 45 AUTO.

Brad

Last edited by CPD253; 03-04-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPD253 View Post
Just picked mine up at my LGS last night. 1943 Remington Rand frame and Slide. Ordinance Department marked and has Col. Frank Atwood's stamp. No rebuild mark on the slide, so I believe that it maybe a replacement.

Brad
Pictures would help. I don't recall US rebuild marks on slides. Yours may have the correct Remington Rand slide. Let's have a look.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Pictures would help. I don't recall US rebuild marks on slides. Yours may have the correct Remington Rand slide. Let's have a look.
Added pictures, easier than I remember!

Brad

Last edited by CPD253; 03-04-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:35 AM

Everybody wants to make a buck

Everybody wants to make a buck and those so inclined will not forego an opportunity to do so on an in demand product. Also, there will be buyers who would pay more to obtain one of these pistols rather than go through the process required. And.......am certain that there are those who may have received their pistols and, for whatever reason, are unsatisfied/disappointed with what they received, so they just get rid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-senor View Post
being that they received them for free and sell them for 1k x 15,000 so far thats been doled out , comes out to 15 million bucks and they are worried that some people will sell them on the open market ! I bet there are less than 2-5 % that will sell and half of those will sell for profit the other half will sell for necessity , life happens sometimes you gotta sell whether you want to or not.
I know of dealers/ at gun shows that order 5-8 garands a year and sell them for 25%-30 % more than what they paid for them.buy for
they are yours to do as you please they didn't come with a restriction at the beginning that was an after thought on there part.