1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 10:57 AM

2020 colt python after 1,000 rounds

Forum members,

If you donít feel like reading this review, to summarize....ITS OKAY TO BUY THE NEW PYTHON. ITíS GREAT GUN AND THANK YOU COLT FOR FINALLY BRINGING IT BACK!!!!

2020 COLT PYTHON

First week in January of 2020 I went to gun store to buy ammo and started making conversation about the new release of the Colt Python with people at the store. The gun dealer told me his distributor promised to deliver him two 6Ē Pythons and if I put a $500 deposit down Iíd be on wait list for the 2nd one as he already had a deposit for the first. Without hesitation I plopped my card down and made a deposit. I expected it to arrive in several months, probably by the summer. Within one week of my deposit I received a call from gun shop to come by and pickup my new Python! I was super excited even though it was not in my budget to pay it off right then. I paid MSRP and have the new 2020 Python and really happy to own it. I even bought a set of vintage Colt Python grips to complete the look and feel of the original.

Iíve now put well over 1,000 rounds through it and feel I have enough time with it to tell consumers thinking of buying it what the average joe thinks. Iím not an expert, so this report comes from a guy who just loves to shoot and own firearms. There are many on this group who Iím sure can speak in better technical terms about it...Having said that, Iíll do my best to describe my experience with a complete lack of proper terminology...so go easy on me as I try:

OVER ALL FEEL 1979 v 2020

I really love my 79í but Iíve always babied it because I paid a lot for it and because itís in such great shape Iíd hate to scratch it. I bought my 79í around 2012 I think (during the Walking Dead craze) so I paid a good chunk of change although not as much as what they go for now. The 20í Python balance, weight and feel is exactly the same to my 79í, especially if you slap a set of vintage grips on them. I think, however, the 20í may be about an ounce heavier than my 79í but not enough to notice a difference. Because the steel is different material than my 79í the 20í tends to get hotter after a lot of continuous rounds. So, It can be a little annoying for what itís worth.

TRIGGER 1979 v 2020

The only real difference is in the trigger and although itís different it still retains the essence of the Python trigger feel...if that makes sense. In short, I think the 20í double action pull is better than the 79í. The double action is smooth, not quite as ďbutteryĒ like the 79í, but smooth in that the pull is consistent all the way to the break whereas the double action pull on my 79í is ďbutteryĒ but gets tighter as you continue pulling back towards the end (stacks). The single action, however, is better on my 79í... but not by a lot. I think part of the reason why I like the single action better is because the hammer is longer and has more material to grab onto with your thumb, the tread surface is better to the touch than the serrations of the 20í. The trigger return is more responsive. It bounces back quicker than the 79í which ultimately helps in rapid fire. Overall, Although the trigger isnít exactly like my 79í it does seem durable and in some ways improved.

ACCURACY

I shot my 79í next to my 20í at paper targets to compare groups. In short, they both shoot great but I was able to achieve tighter groups with my new Python over my 79í...no BS. Iím more accurate with my 20í...donít know why...it is what it is.

NEGATIVES

Light primer strikes

To be completely transparent, I will encounter an occasional light primer strike. Iíd say it occurs one or two times out of a box of 50 rounds. So far all Iíve used 357 Fiocchi and Ńguila 38 special because I have a lot of it. Itís happened to both brands of ammunition so I donít think itís an ammo brand issue. When a light primer strike occurs I simply put the bullet aside and load it into my lever action and it fires. At home I did open the cylinder of both the 79í and my 20í and noticed the firing pin on my 79í protrudes all the way out whereas my 20í does not come all the way out. If I push the transfer bar with my finger I can get the firing pin to come out all the way. I think it has something to do with the new transfer bar system. The hammer simply does not hit the transfer bar with enough energy and it may just be the way the hammer makes contact with the transfer bar.

1979 firing pin protrudes further out

2020 firing pin does not protrude out as far

Cylinder Rotation

Thereís been a lot of bashing going around on the internet about this issue, most notably Hickok45's video and Golden Web, and I can only speak to my gun. After about 200 rounds through it started to lock up and the cylinder stopped turning. I thought to myself, oh no, I got a lemon too!!!!...but after careful inspection I discovered the problem with my gun was due to a loose side plate. Basically the internals are held in by the side plate and when it rattles loose it can cause the internals to get a little wonky. Itís hard to detect because it looked like it was sitting flush but after removing my grips, I noticed the back screw underneath the grip was backed out causing the side plate to vibrate loose. The side plate probably moves while shooting the gun which affects the internals. In my case, the side plate lifted up slightly causing my cylinder latch to move forward exposing a little plastic sleeve behind it. If the latch moves out of place i believe it somehow causes the hand to become misaligned with the star on the cylinder because the hand rests directly behind the latch/side plate. I'M NOT A GUNSMITH but since Iíve torqued down both of the side plate screws (front and back) with a little blue lock tight Iím 100% certain I resolved the problem because Iíve been shooting it hard ever since, well over 1,000+ rounds now, and have not experienced cylinder rotation issues to date.

Cylinder Latch vibrates forward due to a loose side plate. Tighten your side plates, especially back screw behind the grips!!!!

Customer Service

After I initially began experiencing these issues I called Colts customer service multiple times and after two or three days I finally got through. A guy named Steven Potvin gave me an RMA label and asked me to ship it to them and TAT would take approximately 4 to 6 weeks. He doesnít speak much to the issues but instead takes down your complaints and emails you a shipping label. After resolving my side plate issue Iíve opted to keep my gun and keep shooting it until things settle down over there because thereís no telling how long Iíd be without it and the light primer strike issue is so intermittent and infrequent that I donít have the desire to part with it for the time being. I believe Steven Potvin is the ONLY guy dealing in customer service which is disappointing for a major gun manufacturer.

OVERALL

Despite the negatives I think itís a great gun and I have no regrets buying it. Iím enjoying it and continue to shoot it. I finally have Rick Grimes gun, Itís dirty as hell right now and canít wait to shoot it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by spurbitten; 02-12-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the write up and while I miss my '74 python, I think I will stick with my s&w model 19.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:33 AM

My father got a new one last week. Were shot it next to our other pythons. My opinion is the new one is better in almost every way. Double action is great, single could be a touch lighter. Accuracy with my reloaded 38 wadcutters was great. People will hate colt no matter what. Just like car guys older will always be ďbetterĒ. Iím going to enjoy my old ones and my dads new one. For people who want a shooter this is a phenomenal revolver without the vintage price.

Last edited by snakebill; 02-12-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 03:07 PM

I'm familiar with how to deal with light primer strikes on a 1911, but what do you do if it's happening on a Colt Python?
Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 PM

Thank you for writing the review and posting.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:38 PM

2020 colt python after 1,000 rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
I'm familiar with how to deal with light primer strikes on a 1911, but what do you do if it's happening on a Colt Python?

If I knew Iíd fix the problem myself but if I had to guess I think the hammer, the way itís cut, does not hit the transfer bar flush. In otherwords, if there was more material on the transfer bar it would make better contact with the hammer and push that pin with enough energy all the way out...or it needs better alignment. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 04:22 PM

A nice review And explained it all well with no slow mo and loud music playing.And exploding water bottles in slo mo..

GUYS who served i never remember ever making contact with paint cans and water bottles to shoot and kill.

Anyhow nice pictures and thoughts thanks for that it might convert some to check out the Python.The one pictured will hurt the wrist after 20 or so rounds.
RON K.
Attached Thumbnails
280acc396521935964997026cd2f5a17.jpg  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:22 PM

Would a longer firing pin solve the light primer hits ?

And where did you fine those beautiful grips ?
Old 02-12-2020, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the very informative post. Enjoy your new Python.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 02-16-2020, 01:03 PM

Thanks for your detailed review.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:12 PM

Excellent review and critique. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:54 PM

Very nice.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the review!

Since you take such nice clear pics , any chance of a close-up pic of the lockworks with the sideplate removed?
Old 02-19-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON K. View Post
A nice review And explained it all well with no slow mo and loud music playing.And exploding water bottles in slo mo..

GUYS who served i never remember ever making contact with paint cans and water bottles to shoot and kill.

Anyhow nice pictures and thoughts thanks for that it might convert some to check out the Python.The one pictured will hurt the wrist after 20 or so rounds.
RON K.
My wife wanted that gun so I bought it and two different boxes off ammo for it. I hope she will decide to at least fire one round through it, I had a friend that bought one for his uncle and I thought my wifeís 44 mag Mountain gun Smith
Kicked harder.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:30 AM

plastic....? Very interesting. I like to see someone taking one apart one and take a closer look at the plastic internals.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSBuhMC5JLA

Pretty much answers many of the questions.