Staccato P Inbound ~ DVC L Update - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-23-2019, 08:59 AM

Staccato P Inbound ~ DVC L Update

I'm loving my new DVC L! In the 3 weeks I have had it, I just hit 1000 rounds! This gun just eats up ammo! It loves to shoot and it loves to shoot fast! Once you get in a rhythm with it, you don't want to stop pulling the trigger. Good thing it has huge mags!

Fortunately my DVC L absolutely loves my favorite sport shooting ammo Syntech 150gr Action Pistol ammo. Recoil is so mild with this load that it makes an already excellent handling gun even better!

8 rounds shot Unsupported at 10 yards with the Federal Syntech 150gr Action Pistol Ammo

I decided I liked my first STI so much, that I wanted another. I took a look at STIs 2020 lineup, and decided I honestly didn't love what I was seeing. I really love the current DVC line-up and very much like the looks of the two current Staccato pistols. I decided I wanted to pick up one of the 2019 models before they are all gone. I really want the DVC P, but $4K isn't happening right now with the new house and Christmas coming up in 2 days. I decided to grab one of the last of the gen 1 (2019) Staccato Ps.

The pics below are from the dealer I purchased the Staccato P from. He got 3 in on Friday and won't be getting any more of the gen 1 Staccatos. As you can see, it has the new STI 2020 grip, but it still has the Magwell (which goes away on the gen 2). I guess this would be considered a transition gun because of the gen 2 (2020) grip.

I had shot the aluminum framed Staccato C when it first came out, and was turned off by the harsh recoil. My alloy framed Dan Wesson's, even the ones with Officer frames, shot so much milder and have half the recoil of the Staccato C. The recoil was on par a Glock 19. My daily carry is a Wilson Combat Carry Comp 9mm Compact; mitigating recoil is the number one priority in a carry gun. Though I have not shot the Staccato P yet, it does have a steel frame and is about 9 ounces heavier than the single stack Staccato C. So I'm sure it is noticeably tamer than the lightweight Staccato C. In fact the Staccato P seems to be more of the linage of the DVC L than anything else. So I'm sure it will handle quite nicely. But we will see.

I'm not quite sure what role the Staccato P will play for me. It's definitely too big for Daily Carry for me. I live in South Florida and generally don't wear a lot of clothes But I have no problem concealing a Commander size all steel 1911 all day no matter how skimpily I am dressed (which is pretty much every day!). But there may be a day or two where I'm wearing enough clothes to actually carry the Staccato. We will see. Just in case I ordered the excellent Tucker Gunleather DC-2 IWB holster for it.

I have a feeling the Staccato will mostly serve as a range gun and a backup competition pistol for me; It fits in the same holster as my DVC L and it uses the same mags.

Pics of my new Staccato P from my Dealer; I will have it Friday

I do know I would love to have the barrel TiN/PVD coated Gold just like the barrel on my DVC L. Anyone know if STI will re-coat a barrel if you send it in? Or do I just have to send it to an aftermarket re-finisher?

Also, does anyone know if the barrel is DLC coated like the slide and frame?

I'm pretty sure pick up a used/like new DVC P or Costa Carry Comp at some point in the new year. I'm a HUGE fan of factory comped pistols. I have 3 Wilson Combat Carry Comp 9mm pistols that serve as my carry guns and range pistols. These are the guns I shoot most. I barely shoot my un-comped Wilson's at all. The difference in recoil is astounding. Based on my research and shooting experience, the Carry Comp cuts recoil by over 60% in 9mm. With certain loads it truly feels like you are shooting a 22lr. Follow up shots are incredibly fast and accurate because you barely come off target from shot to shot. I don't see carry an un-comped pistol much anytime in the near future. I would love to see how STI has done with their Island Comp and get a hold of a DVC P!
Old 12-23-2019, 10:06 AM

The barrel is DLC coated. STIís custom shop is closed until further notice so they will not recoat your barrel, youíll have to send it elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:19 AM

Iím considering changing my Staccato P grip to the new one but will leave my DVC P with the dragon scales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 11:51 AM

Awesome choices. I recently got the blackout version of your DVC L. Great shooter and has functioned perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
A32B362A-4F84-4A65-8D75-9FF37952C188_1577123567039.jpeg  
Old 12-28-2019, 11:15 PM

My Staccato P showed up yesterday. I'm going to try to slip out to the range tomorrow to run some rounds through it.

Anyone have experience with the Dawson Precision Tool-less guide rod for the Staccato P? Does Dawson help control recoil better than the factory Recoil Master unit that comes with the gun? I have got the 4.15" Dawson today and will try it as well as the factory unit. Just wondering what the thinking is out there. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2019, 12:53 AM

Howís the new grip? Been hunting one to swap out my tree bark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2019, 06:29 AM

That's a nice looking gun

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2019, 09:51 AM

Very nice.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:47 PM

I had 1 hour free to shoot my brand new Staccato P today. I put over 200 rounds through it using six different types of ammo and five different magazines. Unlike my friend's Staccato C that I shot a few months back, the Staccato P was a pleasure to shoot and exhibited very mild recoil. It handled far more like my DVC L than the Staccato C; and like the DVC L, the Staccato P does an excellent job of mitigating recoil, which makes it a flat and fast shooting pistol. In fact, I would say it shoots flatter and faster than most of my traditional 1911 9mm pistols. The exception would be my Wilson Combat Carry Comp; but that is not a fair comparison because the Carry Comp has a comped barrel. The DVC P (now the Staccato XC) would be a better comparison for the my Wilson Carry Comps.

My new Staccato P ran flawlessly with all six types of ammo and all five magazines. I'm not sure how I feel about the Gen2 grip. I really like the Tree Bark grip and the grip that is on my DVC. If I continue to feel that way, I can always switch out the grip. I'm fairly certain I'm going to change out the front sight to the thinner front sight found on my DVC L. I like to see a little more of my target on either side of the front sight than I can with the current front sight. I'm also going to have about 2 lbs taken off the trigger to get it to be more like the trigger on my DVC L.

I did actually make one modification to the pistol before shooting it. I installed the Dawson Precision 4.15" Tool-Less Guide Rod and recoil spring assembly. The factory recoil spring assembly on the Staccato P is called the Recoil Master. My DVC L, however, came from the STI Factory with the 5" Dawson Precision Tool-Less Guide Rod and recoil spring. I figured if STI opted to go with the Dawson Rod assembly on the more expensive DVC, there is probably a reason. My Staccato shot so nicely with the Dawson assembly installed, that I didn't break the gun down during the range session and shoot it with the factory unit. My time was really tight, so I figured I would just try the STI Factory Recoil Master assembly next time.

My New Staccato P fired over 200 trouble free rounds today of six types of ammo through 5 different magazines

Typical target inside 10 yards today

I cannot wait to get to the range and run more rounds through this gun. With the incredibly mild recoil and fast shooting and handling characteristics the Staccato P is literally a gun you could shoot all day and not be fatigued at all. Just like my Wilson Carry Comp that I put 1060 rounds through in 7 hours a few weeks ago. The Staccato is one of those guns that loves to churn through ammo and begs for more. In my experience, guns like that are pretty rare.

Last edited by Harrish; 12-29-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:30 PM

How was the Dawson tool-less guide rod? Any improvement over stock in recoil management?
Old 12-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrunner View Post
How was the Dawson tool-less guide rod? Any improvement over stock in recoil management?
Funny,
After I wrote the quick review above, I went out with the family and remembered I didn't mention the Dawson Recoil Assembly. I just logged back on to correct it; but you already caught it! Nice

I went ahead and included this above in my original post on the subject:

"I did actually make one modification to the pistol before shooting it. I installed the Dawson Precision 4.15" Tool-Less Guide Rod and recoil spring assembly. The factory recoil spring assembly on the Staccato P is called the Recoil Master. My DVC L, however, came from the STI Factory with the 5" Dawson Precision Tool-Less Guide Rod and recoil spring. I figured if STI opted to go with the Dawson Rod assembly on the more expensive DVC, there is probably a reason. My Staccato shot so nicely with the Dawson assembly installed, that I didn't break the gun down during the range session and shoot it with the factory unit. My time was really tight, so I figured I would just try the STI Factory Recoil Master assembly next time."
Old 12-30-2019, 05:04 AM

Thanks. I am glad to hear the tool-less guide rod was reliable. Looking forward to your comparison to the recoilmaster.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:03 AM

The tooless guide rod is just that, a guide rod. It has no bearing on recoil. It just means you don't have to use that little bushing to takedown the gun.

The recoil master does mitigate recoil some.

Bob
Old 12-30-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbert0005 View Post
The tooless guide rod is just that, a guide rod. It has no bearing on recoil. It just means you don't have to use that little bushing to takedown the gun.

The recoil master does mitigate recoil some.

Bob
If it was simply a "guide rod" you are correct that it would have no bearing on recoil; BUT, these are both recoil guide rod "assemblies". They include springs. In the case of the Recoil Master, the Assembly employs 2 springs in its operation. The Dawson has one spring integrated into their assembly. So both of these assemblies have a significant impact on recoil. There are 3 "parts" that impact recoil on a 1911/2011 pistol: 1) the Recoil spring/assembly, the MainSpring, and the Firing Pin Stop (FPS). The recoil spring/assembly has the most significant impact.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:01 AM

Hmmm, I have not seen a toolless guide rod with a recoil set up.

All of mine were basically just a guide rod with the pivot.

Bob
Old 12-30-2019, 12:11 PM

I think what he is talking about is Dawson sells a toolless guide rod that includes a plug and a spring. They also sell three different weight springs for it.
I would be more interested in the guide rod if you could get different weight springs by Wolf or someone. Add to that the set only works for 9mm, probably cause that's the only springs they have, and I have several 45's including the Staccato.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbert0005 View Post
Hmmm, I have not seen a toolless guide rod with a recoil set up.

All of mine were basically just a guide rod with the pivot.

Bob
This is the tool-less guide rod Dawson sells for the Stac P:

https://dawsonprecision.com/guiderod...son-precision/

It includes one standard (13#) spring. According to Dave himself, the springs for this particular tool-less system are proprietary in length and weight.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:27 PM

Got out to the range with the Staccato P a few times. 500 absolutely trouble-free rounds through it as of today. I really enjoy shooting this gun; the mild recoil makes the P a very fast and flat shooting gun. Now that I have gotten a little more comfortable with the factory sights, the groups go up very quick and tight

Absolutely can't wait for my next steel shooting day-long outing I will be bringing my Staccato P, DVC L, and my Wilson Carry Comp.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:23 PM

Very nice.