Tisas 1911A1 U.S. Army - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Tisas 1911A1 U.S. Army

I just picked up a Tisas USGI spec 1911A1 for less than $400. It is a near perfect clone of the real 1911A1 except for the lowered ejection port. it is a very well made 1911.

I found out about Tisas while searching for a Browning Hi-Power. Tisas makes an excellent clone of the Hi-Power. Sootch00 posted a great video review of the Tisas Regent BR9 Hi-Power I decided to take a look at their 1911A1.

Inland Manufacturing makes a 1911A1 clone that is perfect in appearance but it has the series 80 firing pin block and is $500 more than the Tisas. So i decided on the Tisas because I can live with the lowered ejection port but not the firing pin block and I can use the $500 difference elsewhere.

Colt MkIV O1970A1CS
FN Hi Power
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
Old 12-27-2019, 07:57 PM

I think i was looking at them on classic firearms
Old 12-27-2019, 08:16 PM
Administrator

The Tisas and Auto Ordnance are probably the two best choices in a cheap, mil-spec 1911 these days. The Inlands are virtually identical to the Auto Ordnance, meaning they are grossly overpriced.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 09:35 PM

I have 2 and love them both. Of course I am sure others will jump in and tell you their shortfalls but they are fun
Old 12-27-2019, 10:12 PM

Does the Tisas Regent BR9 Hi-Power have a firing pin safety?
Old 12-27-2019, 11:53 PM

Pics or this never ever happened !!
Old 12-29-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The Tisas and Auto Ordnance are probably the two best choices in a cheap, mil-spec 1911 these days. The Inlands are virtually identical to the Auto Ordnance, meaning they are grossly overpriced.
I am still waiting to see if I will ever get a CMP 1911A1. My RGN is in the 18k range so we'll see....until then I have this and I really like the way it looks.

Colt MkIV O1970A1CS
FN Hi Power
Old 01-02-2020, 04:26 PM

My Auto Ordnance US Army 1911a1 usgi clone has been flawless. Purchased it decades ago.
But it’s not the shooter, beater gun I was after it’s much better than that. Even the SA GI mil spec 1911a1 wasn’t my pick for a shooter, beater gun I wanted. I gave up trying to own a usgi 1911a1 and purchased the AO, SA. But maybe the Tisas is what I’m looking for.?

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 01-04-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
My Auto Ordnance US Army 1911a1 usgi clone has been flawless. Purchased it decades ago.
But itís not the shooter, beater gun I was after itís much better than that. Even the SA GI mil spec 1911a1 wasnít my pick for a shooter, beater gun I wanted. I gave up trying to own a usgi 1911a1 and purchased the AO, SA. But maybe the Tisas is what Iím looking for.?
It could be. I was impressed with fit and finish of the Tisas. As mentioned the lowered ejection port is what separates this from a true 1911A1.

My copy is a great shooter, zero jams using 230 gr FMJ and 230 gr JHP both Remington.

Take a trip to your dealer and get one in your hands. For less than $400 its a no brainer.

Colt MkIV O1970A1CS
FN Hi Power
Old 02-18-2020, 07:37 PM

I just came across a few videos of the Tisas 1911a1 "clone" and checked the forum for reviews. It looks like I might be adding one to the collection ��
Old 02-21-2020, 11:21 AM

Based on all the positive reviews, and the price ($340) I couldn't resist so I bought one. I should have it in about 10 days. I'll post a range report when I get some rounds through it.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Better than the Springfield 1911 Defender which can be had for less than $500, IIRC?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Better than the Springfield 1911 Defender which can be had for less than $500, IIRC?
This, in my opinion, is the real question! :-)
Old 02-25-2020, 12:47 PM

I have one and have put about 100 rds thru it with no problems.
I'm having the barrel throated so I can use the SWC bullets. It
wouldn't go into battery with them. It does have the military barrel
that lets the bullet hit the rifling, but it feeds everything else I tried
in it.
Denny
Old 02-25-2020, 07:54 PM

Looks Good

Guys, picked mine up today. The build quality appears to be very good. Slide to frame is tighter than expected for this price point, the lock up of the barrel is very positive, and the finish is very good. I recommend a strip, and lube as my gun had the minimum of lubricant on it prior to shooting it for the first time. Going to the range this weekend to try it out-I'll let you know how it fares.
Attached Thumbnails
1911A1.jpg  

Last edited by Vulcanator; 02-25-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Additional first impressions
Old 02-25-2020, 08:02 PM

I think you'll find it shoots as good as it looks.
Denny
Old 02-25-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I'd be curious to read about a head to head comparison. In terms of GI aesthetics, the SDS1911 beats the Springfield hands down.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The Springfield Defender doesn't even look like a USGI pistol so it's not in the running as far as I'm concerned. I am talking about 1911s that look like proper WW2 M1911A1 clones with the tiny sights and vertical slide serrations. Even the RIA is borderline as far as I'm concerned because many of the contours are all wrong.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:20 PM

Good clarification, dsk! By "better", I am referring to quality parts and construction - disregarding authentic appearance to a USGI 1911-A1.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcut View Post
This, in my opinion, is the real question! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
I'd be curious to read about a head to head comparison. In terms of GI aesthetics, the SDS1911 beats the Springfield hands down.
Quote:
The Springfield Defender doesn't even look like a USGI pistol so it's not in the running as far as I'm concerned. I am talking about 1911s that look like proper WW2 M1911A1 clones with the tiny sights and vertical slide serrations. Even the RIA is borderline as far as I'm concerned because many of the contours are all wrong.

Springfield used to make a M1911A1 clone. It was made or partly made in Brazil. They weren't as well made as the Mil-Spec and was more hit or miss, I think. If I'm wrong, maybe someone can chime in.

I'm guessing it would be easy for Springfield to make a M1911A1 clone. I vaguely remember a Springfield WWII edition that may have been a sort of cross between their M1911A1 and their Mil-Spec.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:51 PM

It Shoots Good

As promised took the SDS 1911 to the range today and put about 50 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Feeding it American Eagle 230 grn ball ammo, my first seven rounds at 7 yard did this (see thumbnail). I'm frankly impressed considering my deteriorating eyesight. I was able to repeat this performance on subsequent targets. Apart from a minor sight adjustment for windage this pistol is going to be left alone. I'll post an update once I get more rounds downrange.
Attached Thumbnails
USGI.jpg  

Last edited by Vulcanator; 03-01-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Good shooting, Vulcanator. Once you get it sighted in give us a 15 or 25-yard report as well. I'd be interesting to see if they compare favorably with the accuracy of a Colt or Springfield Mil-Spec.

Quote:
Springfield used to make a M1911A1 clone. It was made or partly made in Brazil. They weren't as well made as the Mil-Spec and was more hit or miss, I think. If I'm wrong, maybe someone can chime in.

I'm guessing it would be easy for Springfield to make a M1911A1 clone. I vaguely remember a Springfield WWII edition that may have been a sort of cross between their M1911A1 and their Mil-Spec.
I briefly owned one of the Springfield M1911A1 clones, and it was advertised as a WW2 model so you may have been thinking of the same gun. While not exact in every detail it was still close enough to a WW2 pistol to fool the casual observer at any distance. I was a pretty miffed when SA decided to discontinue it, which if I recall was due to the fact that it was affecting sales of the pricer Mil-Spec which had a better margin.

Here's a link to an old, old review I did on mine: https://www.m1911.org//prodte30.htm
Old 03-02-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
...I briefly owned one of the Springfield M1911A1 clones, and it was advertised as a WW2 model so you may have been thinking of the same gun. While not exact in every detail it was still close enough to a WW2 pistol to fool the casual observer at any distance. I was a pretty miffed when SA decided to discontinue it, which if I recall was due to the fact that it was affecting sales of the pricer Mil-Spec which had a better margin.

Here's a link to an old, old review I did on mine: https://www.m1911.org//prodte30.htm

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2020, 06:48 AM

Happy to have read this thread. I'm picking up a new Regent ( $500 ) today. I love good economic Mil-Spec ( vertical slide serrations and all) 1911s.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Good shooting, Vulcanator. Once you get it sighted in give us a 15 or 25-yard report as well. I'd be interesting to see if they compare favorably with the accuracy of a Colt or Springfield Mil-Spec.

I briefly owned one of the Springfield M1911A1 clones, and it was advertised as a WW2 model so you may have been thinking of the same gun. While not exact in every detail it was still close enough to a WW2 pistol to fool the casual observer at any distance. I was a pretty miffed when SA decided to discontinue it, which if I recall was due to the fact that it was affecting sales of the pricer Mil-Spec which had a better margin.

I'll be happy to post another range report. I tried to use my friends sight pusher to drift the sight to the left, but it wouldn't budge. I should be able to do well at 15yds, but my eyesight, and the prescription I wear will do the pistol a disservice at 25 yds.