Dropping Chip McCormick Power Mags on gravel - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Dropping Chip McCormick Power Mags on gravel

Thinking of doing some steel comps here in Wisconsin. Courses are full of gravel and rocks in most places with some dirt.

Wondering if anyone has done such comps with with Chip McCormick Power mags and let them drop hitting the ground during the heat? Do they crack a or is it not advisable? Anything I can do to cushion them if I need to do so?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:21 PM
1911 Aficionado

I shot over dirt, gravel, grass, mud, and concrete with 8- and 10-round CMC mags for over ten years, and never had any issues with bent or broken mags.

I often have to do a bit of cleaning of mags that had been on the ground, sometimes requiring disassembly, but I never took one out of action.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:29 AM

The 10 rounders are a little fragile on concrete.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2019, 04:46 AM

Magazines are consumables.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_jones View Post
The 10 rounders are a little fragile on concrete.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pic. Was that on concrete?
Old 12-17-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceSwaby View Post
Magazines are consumables.
I think it depends what kind of salary you are on.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Magazines are consumables if you compete and regularly drop them onto gravel or concrete. If you do lots of slide lock reloads the feed lips will spread. That is not an internet rumor. If the magazine always lands on the base pad it will hold up for quite a while. In the old days we used 1/2" thick solid brass pads which just about guaranteed it would land pad down. Plastic base pads will not hold up on a hard deck.

Last edited by drail; 12-17-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Magazines are consumables if you compete and regularly drop them onto gravel or concrete. If you do lots of slide lock reloads the feed lips will spread. That is not an internet rumor. If the magazine always lands on the base pad it will hold up for quite a while. In the old days we used 1/2" thick solid brass pads which just about guaranteed it would land pad down. Plastic base pads will not hold up on a hard deck.
I'm wondering where to get that thin foam that has an adhesive on one side and fashion a surround cushion on the bumper by cutting it to shape, one piece for the bottom and another to wrap around the vertical part of the plastic.

The CM mags work the best for me. I've even taken a follower from a Ruger 1911 magazine and stuck it in a Power Mag, not the Power Mag plus, because the followers in just the Power Mags in my opinion are not as good as those in the Power Mag Plus, though I lost a round using the Ruger follower, it cycles and loads much better than the follower in just a Power Mag.

Thanks for the info, by the way.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:00 PM

I use the 8 round CNC power mags and no issues on the pad or scratches dropping them on dirt/hard surfaces but don't shoot over concrete. CNC does have great customer service so I'm not too concerned if they need to be repaired.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT54 View Post
The CM mags work the best for me. I've even taken a follower from a Ruger 1911 magazine and stuck it in a Power Mag, not the Power Mag plus, because the followers in just the Power Mags in my opinion are not as good as those in the Power Mag Plus, ...
From Hilton Yam

https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-magazines/
Quote:
I am frequently asked whether I recommend the original Power Mag follower or the newer Power Mag Plus. I prefer the original Power Mag follower for most of my applications. You will need to decide for yourself which of the two followers has design characteristics that better suit your needs. The original Power Mag follower provides greater lift to the slide stop at lockback, and jumps forward slightly upon feeding the last round. If you have a gun that has a heavy slide stop plunger spring or one with a hard detent cut into it, you will probably do better with the original Power Mag. The Power Mag Plus follower produces somewhat less lift on the slide stop lobe, but its primary design features are that it does not jump forward in the tube and also rides very tightly up the inside front of the tube for more consistent follower engagement.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Dropping Chip McCormick Power Mags on gravel
One advantage the Devel follower (the follower used in most of the McCormick line-up) provides is it has less surface area and is less likely to drag in the tube with debris such as sand or gravel in the tube.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:09 PM

These Wilson steel bumper pads may fit on the PowerMags.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Base-Pa...uctinfo/47BLP/
Old 12-17-2019, 10:57 PM

The only magazine bases I have damaged by dropping were a couple that had been sanded or milled thin to get a gun in the IDPA CCP Box.

Power Mags and others have hel up in regular use, dropped on all surfaces in reloading.

I did have a couple of the original Shooting Stars break their spot welds, though.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Yep. The follower on the original Power Mag would almost come out of the mag tube for me, so I had to do something. First round feed upon letting the slide forward would sometimes jam as well. I didn't try it on more than one 1911, so it may be the pistol. I like the followers on the Power Mag + better.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
The only magazine bases I have damaged by dropping were a couple that had been sanded or milled thin to get a gun in the IDPA CCP Box.

Power Mags and others have hel up in regular use, dropped on all surfaces in reloading.

I did have a couple of the original Shooting Stars break their spot welds, though.
Good to know. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Base-Pa...uctinfo/47BLP/
Thanks for the input.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor View Post
I use the 8 round CNC power mags and no issues on the pad or scratches dropping them on dirt/hard surfaces but don't shoot over concrete. CNC does have great customer service so I'm not too concerned if they need to be repaired.
I'd like to use the 10 rounders as most of the steel comps are open class and many of the guys are using 9mm AR-15's with 40 and more round magazines so the extra two rounds makes a difference, in a sense.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input.
Quote:
I'd like to use the 10 rounders ...
Sorry, I was assuming you were using 8 rounders.

You don't want to use the steel pads with the 10 rounders. They won't prevent over-insertion. You need those big polymer wraparound pads for the 10 rounders.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Unless you have an awful lot of plates, if you have to speed load, you are probably out of the running anyhow.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:27 PM

Buy a couple of replacements before you break one. The whole point is to be prepared.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006057473

LOG

Old 12-19-2019, 09:28 AM

I've dropped a lot of Wilson and CMC mags on ranges in Wisconsin and I have never had an issue. They're pretty tough but they are easily fixed if something should happen.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S391 View Post
I've dropped a lot of Wilson and CMC mags on ranges in Wisconsin and I have never had an issue. They're pretty tough but they are easily fixed if something should happen.
That's good to know. I was thinking of going to Hobby Lobby and picking up some of that one sided adhesive foam rubber sheet on the other side and fashioning some absorption pads on the bumper just in case. But that is interesting and good to know. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
Buy a couple of replacements before you break one. The whole point is to be prepared.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006057473

LOG
Thanks for the link. Makes a lot of sense. Didn't think they made them. Thanks again.

WT
Old 12-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

If you're looking for 10-round 1911 magazines for .45 ACP, the Wilson 10-rounders with the wraparound base bad are extremely durable, and use the stainless steel mag springs IIRC. Also, their 8-rounder ETM in .45, as well as the 500-HD+P with the square wire mag springs, are very tough, durable, and reliable. The 500-HD+P magazines are a bit more difficult to break-in the mag springs, but as far as my experience has been are the best 8-round .45 ACP 1911 magazines.

For the 10-round 9mm, I have had no issues with their 500-9 ETM's.

I shoot over gravel, dirt, mud, crushed 1" rock tailings, and concrete - the only issue has been mud where I have to wipe the mud off after dropping them sometimes (depending on how they land/tumble).

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
If you're looking for 10-round 1911 magazines for .45 ACP, the Wilson 10-rounders with the wraparound base bad are extremely durable, and use the stainless steel mag springs IIRC. Also, their 8-rounder ETM in .45, as well as the 500-HD+P with the square wire mag springs, are very tough, durable, and reliable. The 500-HD+P magazines are a bit more difficult to break-in the mag springs, but as far as my experience has been are the best 8-round .45 ACP 1911 magazines.

For the 10-round 9mm, I have had no issues with their 500-9 ETM's.

I shoot over gravel, dirt, mud, crushed 1" rock tailings, and concrete - the only issue has been mud where I have to wipe the mud off after dropping them sometimes (depending on how they land/tumble).
Thanks. I will definitely check them out.