Ruger 57 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 11:56 AM

Ruger 57

I've read and watched reviews on Youtube. Any personal reviews from members?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:25 PM

My buddy has one and loves it. I know I’ll shoot it pretty soon.
Price point is great compared to FN as well as having excellent reviews.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:36 PM

I've had an FN57 for years. I'm looking forward to doing a comparison at some point. I've read that Ruger focused on specific areas of the FN and improved them on the Ruger. This may be one of those pistols that actually goes up in price as time goes on. May be a good time to move on one. Thoughts on that aaspect anyone ?
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 AM

Im waiting for mine. Seems Ruger can't keep up with demand, or they simply didn't make enough and are making them in small runs to see how they do. Im not holding my breath that they will go up in value. That would only happen if they dropped it as quick as they announced it. Which I guess could happen. I personally think as far as Rugers go, they're priced a little on the high side. Compared to the FN they are a bargain. Which is probably how/why they priced them as they have.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 AM

So there's basically a waiting list? What are they going got now? Are you saying the Ruger 57 is priced high or Ruger in general?
Old 03-16-2020, 09:26 AM

Just went on GrabaGun and they're out of stock. Budsguns you can reserve one by paying up front. Of course they're all over Gunbroker.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:15 AM

I'm keeping an eye on this pistol and hope it becomes a huge success. Nutnfancy and Military Arms Channel both have reviews on this pistol. On another note, perhaps Ruger will offer their PC Carbine in 5.7?
Old 03-17-2020, 05:51 AM

Here’s a friend’s with a vortex venom. What’s not to like...
Attached Thumbnails
C60C71CB-056B-44A6-92FB-B521F3914DFA.jpeg   14171827-52C8-4DFC-A19A-5DF051D9AA6D.jpeg  

Last edited by Plantar5; 03-17-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
So there's basically a waiting list? What are they going got now? Are you saying the Ruger 57 is priced high or Ruger in general?
I feel the Ruger 57 is priced high, for a Ruger. It has no reason to be any more expensive than their American line of handguns, but at $679.00 street price, its considerably more. Like more than double.

I think this pistol will have good early success. Those who have wanted a FN57 but didn't like the control layout and super high price will jump on it. That would be me and a few others. Some will get rid of their FN's for this. Once the market fills that void it will sell slow and either drop dramatically in price and become a success, or if it remains priced as is, will not sell well. The sweet spot (at least in our store) for price on polymer frame full size pistols to sell is $300-550. Its a rare day we sell full size polymer pistols that cost much more.

Last edited by M-Peltier; 03-17-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Hereís a friendís with an RMR. Whatís not to like...
Thats a Vortex Venom, not an RMR.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:35 AM

I have one. I bought it locally for just under $600. I ran 200 rounds through the gun last weekend. Overall I like it however it isn't without a couple faults.

The trigger is.......just ok. Even though it isn't a striker fired gun I'd rate it beneath a Glock trigger. Out of the box I adjusted the sights because I was shooting low and left. Probably mostly my fault. I was shooting 40 grain American Eagle.

I had two malfunctions that I believe were magazine related. One double feed, and once where the last round in the mag ended up like the picture shows. Next time I go shoot I will label the mags and see if the malfunctions are specific to one mag.

Like I said before I like it. Cool factor is high, and the round is interesting and fun to shoot. Is it better than the FN? Dunno, never touched one. Paul Harrell has a pretty good comparison video between the two on YouTube. Is it overpriced? Yes I think so. The gun is about the same as the Security 9mm in the way of quality and materials, and that pistol is much less expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
20200307_123207_1584462446435.jpg  

Last edited by KAS300; 03-17-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:01 PM

I do not see a lot beyond Cool Factor since sub-9mm is not allowed in my matches.
But, in the 1980s Jeff Cooper did a "Dear Abby" column in Guns & Ammo and most of the letters posted were cases that did not get his default recommendation of a 1911.
One such was the scientific expedition into the back of beyond. High profile, they pretty much had to abide by the local regime's restrictions to .22 caliber. So Cooper recommended the .22 Jet. With .22 LR cylinder or inserts in place, it would take small game for the pot. Loaded with .22 Remington Magnum (Jet) it would be better than rimfire for camp defense.
So if your Leader says .22 only, get a HOT .22.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:11 PM

Oh for what it's worth I like my 22 TCM better. It's a 1911 and fires a much hotter round.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS300 View Post
I have one. I bought it locally for just under $600. I ran 200 rounds through the gun last weekend. Overall I like it however it isn't without a couple faults.

The trigger is.......just ok. Even though it isn't a striker fired gun I'd rate it beneath a Glock trigger. Out of the box I adjusted the sights because I was shooting low and left. Probably mostly my fault. I was shooting 40 grain American Eagle.

I had two malfunctions that I believe were magazine related. One double feed, and once where the last round in the mag ended up like the picture shows. Next time I go shoot I will label the mags and see if the malfunctions are specific to one mag.

Like I said before I like it. Cool factor is high, and the round is interesting and fun to shoot. Is it better than the FN? Dunno, never touched one. Paul Harrell has a pretty good comparison video between the two on YouTube. Is it overpriced? Yes I think so. The gun is about the same as the Security 9mm in the way of quality and materials, and that pistol is much less expensive.
Its not unlike Ruger to have a few teething problems with new releases. They do have a habit of making it right though.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Is there any word from Ruger that on this next round of 57s that we are waiting for that Ruger is working out the bugs?
Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS300 View Post
Oh for what it's worth I like my 22 TCM better. It's a 1911 and fires a much hotter round.
Agreed, much prefer the 22 TCM and can have the RIA cheaper too