2 .45 acp 1911s side by side - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-18-2019, 01:29 AM

2 .45 acp 1911s side by side

I've been doing a lot of dry fire over the last six weeks. Even just five minutes a day is useful...grip and breathing...or sight picture and trigger pull...and also reloading.

But all my dry fire practice and my last two trips to the range have been with my RIA Compact...all steel, 3.5" barrel, iron sights, plain jane. I have just worked with that gun and ignored my Kimber Ultra Carry ll with its alloy frame and steel slide...3" barrel.

Today I took them both to the range, trying to put the dry fire into practice. First thing I noticed was that I had much better control with the heavier RIA 1911. It just absorbed more of the recoil and I got back on target faster. That is nothing against the Kimber, I just need more dry fire and range time with the lighter gun.

The area where I excelled with the Kimber was during one hand and off hand shooting. Here the light weight helped with better sight pictures.

With both guns, my dry fire practice on trigger pull and sight picture helped immensely. The areas still needing work are maintaining a solid grip and breathing.

I forced myself to stop after 165 rounds as I felt fatigue and sloppiness creeping in. Saved the ammo for a return trip in two weeks. Meanwhile back to the dry fire room.

I really love both guns and had no malfunctions. When I got home I enjoyed a glass of wine while I cleaned them.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:05 AM

Good report. Frequent use, either dry firing or range time is key. I am always amazed how bad my aim is after several weeks of not shooting. Hoppe's Pinot Noir is excellent for cleaning!
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 12-18-2019, 08:24 AM

Great range day!
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 08:38 AM

What KIND of wine?
Old 12-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
I noticed was that I had much better control with the heavier RIA 1911. It just absorbed more of the recoil and I got back on target faster. That is nothing against the Kimber, I just need more dry fire and range time with the lighter gun.
I'm not sure that can be fixed with dry fire. To practice recoil control, I think you need recoil. I bet the advantages you gained with dry firing the RIA transferred over to firing the Kimber, unless the triggers are significantly different.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
I'm not sure that can be fixed with dry fire. To practice recoil control, I think you need recoil. I bet the advantages you gained with dry firing the RIA transferred over to firing the Kimber, unless the triggers are significantly different.
Good point. At least the op was smart enough to stop when tired. I notice that after 100 rounds I can lose focus and then it is just wasting ammo.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:31 AM

Hi end airsoft pistols are a lot better than dry fire and a hell of a lot more fun!

https://airsoftpal.com/best-airsoft-pistol/
Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 PM

I purchased the 1911/cz co2 Bb pistols, m14 and full auto broom-handle/stg44

The grandson can shoot.

Soda cans beaware.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 01-10-2020, 11:03 PM

Did I miss the part where you ran them with one in each hand?
Old 01-11-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Hi end airsoft pistols are <snip>

https://airsoftpal.com/best-airsoft-pistol/
Children's toys
Old 01-12-2020, 02:11 AM

Went back to the range today. Felt like I'd been away forever and yet it is less than a month. All my dry fire since my last visit has been with the heavier RIA Compact, but for the range today I took the Kimber Ultra Carry ll. I was very happy with my improvements in terms of groupings, and with the increase of tempo that I was able to get back on sight picture and fire the next shot...this because I worked on my recoil recovery/control. I was much more comfortable with the Kimber than last time. I ran about 250 rounds using a variety of targets and disciplines. The distances varied between 10-12 feet and 25 feet. My trigger pull was more controlled but for this Kimber I still haven't found the perfect placement. But I feel very comfortable with this gun now.

And I can't wait to get back to the range with the RIA. I put some gold metallic paint on the plain metal front sight (Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch has a gold insert on his) and in my day time and night time dry fire it has made picking up the front sight much better.

Three of my human silhouette targets from the range are turning my small office into a dry fire, semi combat course. I've pinned them to various places the walls and doors, mixed in with various exercise targets. Not like a real combat course, but I can practice movement while shooting and also dealing with reloading as the mags run out. I use 3 mags dedicated to my dry fire drills, but also use as many as seven and eight when I'm making reloading the primary drill at the moment. The hard part is crawling around the room looking for all my dry fire dummy rounds.

More news after the next trip.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Children's toys
Hmmmmm.....

Many gun companies have adopted them for force on force training.

The good ones are extremely accurate.

Most of the major gun companies have licensed copies, even the rifles too.

I have yet to see someone try mine and not go out and get one.

Living in the upper Midwest they are great for practicing at home in the winter months and when your income drops through the floor due to health it can be all you can afford to shoot.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Children's toys
Hmmmmm.....

Many gun companies have adopted them for force on force training.

<snip>
Why are gun companies doing force on force training? Is that part of R&D?

I also heard Supersoakers are great training stand-ins for AR-15's. &#x1f609;
Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 AM

those RIA compacts are under-estimated in value and usefulness.
Old 03-13-2020, 07:07 AM

Does RIA make a commander?

Lucky
Old 03-13-2020, 09:30 PM

They make a commander sized 1911 with a bull barrel.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 03-14-2020, 12:06 AM

I found, during my IPSC days, that I could pretty darn near run a SS Officer's ACP just about as accurately - and about as fast - as my full sized Govt. Model "Limited" gun (Bomars, BarSto, titanium lockwork, checkering, etc., too).
Something about the balance of a steel Officer's size pistol just "sets right" in the hand. And the extra mass has got to help.... CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer