Value of AR9 ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 10:15 PM

Value of AR9 ?

Hello, I have a gentleman who wants to trade me a build he did. Cmmg lower accepts Colt mags and a Wilson arms upper. Folding sights not sure if red dot comes with. The gentleman says it’s been shot 100 or so rounds and out to 100 yards. Would this be worth 500-600 dollars? Thanks any help is appreciated not really an expert on this.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Just me, but I wouldn't buy any put-together AR without first getting a complete list of the parts used. With decent fire control parts, barrel and BCG it can be a good deal; with cheap ones not so much.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:44 PM

This gets my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Just me, but I wouldn't buy any put-together AR without first getting a complete list of the parts used. With decent fire control parts, barrel and BCG it can be a good deal; with cheap ones not so much.
I would not buy a parts gun period. Unless I not only knew for certain what went into it. But I would have to have a pretty good certainty that it was built by somebody that really knew what they are doing. There are all kinds of people out there that claim to be able to put these types of guns together. A small portion of them actually know what they are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 06:30 AM

Thanks,that gives me a lot of help. I probably will walk.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
What dsk said! If he used all high end parts and knew what he was doing, I'd consider it, otherwise pass.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:11 AM

The fact that he wants to unload it after only 2 boxes of ammo is a red flag for me.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
The fact that he wants to unload it after only 2 boxes of ammo is a red flag for me.
True, but at the same time people are so well known for fibbing about the actual round count on their firearms. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody has bragged about their pet gun that has fired thousands of rounds without failure, but then later when they sold it claimed they only put "a box or two of shells" through it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:57 PM
More Cowbell...

I would go with a Glock mag based AR before I would go with a Colt mag based AR.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:25 PM

You can build your own for about the same price. I would not be afraid of buying an AR built by someone else. And it wouldn’t have to be all high end parts for me either. If you can buy it for the right price, it’s nothing you can’t upgrade on your own down the road. But $500-$600 is not really any kind of bargain. This is a serious buyers market right now.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 10-30-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman View Post
I would go with a Glock mag based AR before I would go with a Colt mag based AR.
Advantages/ disadvantages either way, I like loading rounds into the Colt mag much better and BHO is much more reliable for them. Mags are cheaper for Glock mags, but not many other real advantages to them.

If building new, I'd probably go with the CMMG Radial Delayed 9mm and the modified magpul/ ARC magazines, so there's that.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:16 PM

Glock mag guns only make sense when you have a metric ton of Glock mags already. Colt style mags are not that expensive, and uzi mags can be made to work.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:23 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Glock mag guns only make sense when you have a metric ton of Glock mags already. Colt style mags are not that expensive, and uzi mags can be made to work.
They are much easier to reload under stress because to the magazine well angle or lack of angle with Colt mags.

I have both. The only time I use Colt mags are for full auto with my M-16 RR. My SBR lower is set up for Glock mags.