"G.I." Springfield - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-03-2005, 10:46 AM

"G.I." Springfield

Well I took my new Springfield "GI" to the range yesterday. when I bought it Monday , I stripped it down, cleand, inspected it and relubed it. When I looked at it, I had some concerns about the Extractor being kind of loose. It Fell right out when I dissassembled the slide. But I checked it with a empty case, when I reassembled the slide. It held the case ok.
Now off to the Range. I fired about about a hundred and fifty rounds of "Hardball" through it. No problems whatsoever!!
My only problem was Old eyes, and original military sights. Using my "Merit Optical attachment" on my glasses I was able to shoot it respectfully. hold a 25yd target ten ring at 15yds. And hold 8's at 25 yds.
Everyone talks about lowering and flaring the ejection port. But it sure isn't necessary on this one. The brass was ejected over my right shoulder, some hitting the position divider, most landing about five yards behind. the brass wasn't deformed at all. I guess I stick with the "loose fitting Extractor". The magazine that came with it looked kind of chinzy, but again functioned flawlessly.
What am I going to change on this?
Not much. I'm left handed so an Ambi safety is in order, probably a Mueschke from brownells (621-145-002). Thats the least obtrusive looking safety I've found. I'm going to get rid of the "ILS mainspring housing" I'll dig one of the old arched government housings out of the "Junque" box ( I generally like a flat mainspring housings), order a new mainspring, cap, housing pin retainer, and cap pin.
I'm trying to get a pair of military bakelite grips from my buddy and get rid of the "UUUgly' grips that came with it.
Other than the above changes everything else will remain stock. It's just going to be a "Fun" gun. to plink with.
If your thinking about, Go buy one. Other than the sights, you won't be disappointed!!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:20 PM

Good report...

You and I think alike. Sights if you need 'em, MS housing, grips and trigger (I like WWII short w/checkered face) to suit, if you want 'em. Forged extractor, firing pin stop, hammer strut and slide stop are always a good idea if you are packing "in harm's way". The important thing is, that the gun WORKS and shoots pretty well- which it sounds like yours does.

You boys are a bad influence on me... NOW I am wanting GI!

Visit us at The Sixgun Journal or the archive, at http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/