1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-26-2001, 02:52 PM
Awesome

Kimber Classic Custom

Yes, this is one of those guns with the "SURPRISE" stainless frames covered in some kind of black oxide finish. SLide is Carbon Steel though (Thank goodness).

Gun comes with fairly crappy 7 round magazine but it works.

Noticed upon initial inpsection that the slide was binding. Spent several minutes stoning the front left frame rail until the slide would move freely.

Barrel bushing had many burs and scratched the slide severely when disassembling. When I smoothed the burs and went to touch up with cold blue....SURPRISE....stainless bushing (I think, won't take the blue). Good thing the filing was on the back corners only.

To my surprise, the trigger had some creep and considerable takeup. Takeup was easily fixed using the tabs. Sear will need some stoning. Hammer hooks are right at .020.

Everything else was as expected from Kimber. Excellent slide to frame fit (tight, too tight even). Tight barrel bushing and SOLID lockup. Gun feeds and functions great (didn't fire it until I stoned the frame so I probably would have had a problem or two as it came).

Will probably end up taking a bead blaster to the frame as the finish wears off (doesn't seem to be very durable) and make a two tone gun. Guess that will require a new grip safety and mainspring housing. I usually replace the Kimber mainspring housing anyway as they let the mspring housing pin retainer drop too far down and it makes it a pain to get together - and I don't like flat or plastic mspring housings. One plus on the stainless bottom is that it will make installation of the Brown beavertail easier as the bead blasting will cover up the frame work and no refinishing required.

This is the first Kimber I have had a real problem with and I have to admit that I am a little disappointed. Now that the little problems are fixed with no money invested, I am content.

Old 02-27-2001, 11:28 AM

My brother-in-law just got a Kimber Custom Classic Stainless, his first handgun. He got it at my recommendation, even though the only Kimber I have is an Ultra CDP. It was just my opinion that for an OOB pistol, the Kimber was the best bet.

I have to say that I was impressed. The trigger broke clean (as far as I could tell--I'm not a trigger connoisseur) at a hair under 4 lbs, and the fit was nice and tight (just enough to smooth out nicely after a few rounds downrange).

Now that I recall hearing about the surprise stainless frames, I almost wish I would have told him to stick to the blued. Your two-tone idea sounds really good to me.

Thanks for the report!

[This message has been edited by gtf (edited 02-27-2001).]