Magwell/magazine problem - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 AM
gtcooper gtcooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Age: 47
Posts: 158
Magwell/magazine problem

Ok. Got my sr1911 yesterday. Changed the main spring housing to a smith and alexander with magwell. I am having a problem inserting the magazines and them fully seating. As this will be my edc gun that may be a problem if a situation arises. Anyway. Is there a way to solve this? And is the magwell extension really needed?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2016, 08:17 AM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,060
Do you have mag pads on your mags? Did magazines seat and lock easily before you installed the well?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 AM
crashoverrideplik crashoverrideplik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,166
Magwells are not really needed, but you should be using a magazine pad with a magwell or you will have a real had time seating the magazine. I run the pads on all my guns with or without a magwell.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 AM
DCH DCH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Age: 69
Posts: 306
Look at the bottom of magwell with it installed on the gun. Sounds like the mag is binding or dragging on the sides of the magwell. You may have to file on the inter edges on the magwell to give the mag room to slide in and out. I just recently installed a S&A magwell on a Springfield and had this problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2016, 02:29 PM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,060
Parts almost never drop in without file or stone work. Look at the front of the mag's baseplate when the magazine locks in. Is there a gap between it and the frame - or is it touching the frame? Are these stuffed 8 round magazines?

Last edited by drail; 04-10-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 PM
gtcooper gtcooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Age: 47
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Do you have mag pads on your mags? Did magazines seat and lock easily before you installed the well?
No. And yes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:49 PM
gtcooper gtcooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Age: 47
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
Look at the bottom of magwell with it installed on the gun. Sounds like the mag is binding or dragging on the sides of the magwell. You may have to file on the inter edges on the magwell to give the mag room to slide in and out. I just recently installed a S&A magwell on a Springfield and had this problem.
No binding.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM
gtcooper gtcooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Age: 47
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
Parts almost never drop in without file or stone work. Look at the front of the mag's baseplate when the magazine locks in. Is there a gap between it and the frame - or is it touching the frame? Are these stuffed 8 round magazines?
Locks in when using thumb

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2016, 09:23 PM
drail drail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,060
You need mag pads unless you want to seat the magazine with your fingertips.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 AM
gtcooper gtcooper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Age: 47
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
You need mag pads unless you want to seat the magazine with your fingertips.
Ordered some

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved