S&w1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-24-2003, 02:27 PM

S&w1911

Picked up my first gov't model-sized 1911 last week, a S&W1911. Had to wait to shoot it (work CAN intrude on what's REALLY important at times).
--
I had some Wolf .45 hardball laying around when I finally got a chance to punch paper with it. I must say that I think I've found a very sweet shooter.
--
Put 200 rounds downrange using both Wilson Combat 8-rnd mags. Not a single malfunction of any kind with the Wolf ammo, just a LOT of residue. Man, that Wolf is dirty in .45ACP. Wolf in 9mm & .40S&W is much less dirty.
--
Anyway, my new box-stock S&W 1911 ran like a champ. None of the problems I heard some folks reporting on. No need for a death grip to disengage the grip safety, trigger had a little take-up, but no creep, nad it was pretty crisp. Not crisp like a tuned single-action trigger on a S&W revo, but crisp enough that I don't think I'll spend any $$$ to tune it up.
--
The groups were pleasingly small, especially when a better shot than I put a few downrange. It shot to the left a bit: probably 5" at 25 yards. I'll adjust for windage when I select a carry load (probably some 230 gr HP, non-plus-P).
--
All in all, I'm really pleased with my purchase. My first 1911 (my wife owns a Springer Ultra Compact in 9mm). I can't wait to get a good IWB carry rig for social circumstances.
--
Thanks to all y'all who previously reported on the S&W1911. Forums like these beat the pants off the glosy gun mags & manufacturers web sites for the "warts & all" lowdown on equipment.

jfruser

"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity."
----Thomas Sowell
Old 11-25-2003, 11:11 AM

Were you the chap shooting in A Bay at the Bullet Trap the other day who let me shoot the N.I.B. SW1911? If so, sweet gun! Thanks for letting me shoot it.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:41 PM

Yep, it was I

sbow:

Yep, that was me. You're more than welcome. I don't often get to Bullet Trap, these days. Lots of good folks there.

I'm headed out of state for Thanksgiving & plan on giving the S&W1911 a more thorough workout Friday.

Take care & Happy Thanksgiving to you.

jfruser

"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity."
----Thomas Sowell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2003, 11:31 PM

I have about 2000 rounds though mine other than it not liking Hornadys no other problems at all. I polished the feedramp, barrel throat and chamber and now it feeds those too. For the price range I'd say it's a good buy and I'm sure there are a few others here that will agree with me. Now go out and shoot the snot out of it.

Steve
Old 11-26-2003, 10:15 AM

Re: Yep, it was I

Quote:
Originally posted by jfruser
Take care & Happy Thanksgiving to you.
To you as well. Have a safe trip.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 AM

In January I purchased a 29 oz S&W 1911 Sc 4 1/4 inch. I put over a thousand rounds (federal and Wolf Poly) and two magazines of Remington 185 grain+P Golden Saber. Light, extremely accurate, beautiful to look at, and extremely well fitted. At 1400 rounds I decided to use this as my everyday LEOSA for national carry. The only downside to this point was the continual backing out of grip screws which I fixed with Loc-tite blue. Then just the other day at around 1500 rounds, the gun locked up tighter than a python's squeeze. A round was halfway way chambered. The safety could not be moved on or off. I could NOT move the slide. Eventually, when I freed the round, the slide lock fell out and the entire slide, barrel, recoil spring and rod fell to the ground. It turns out that the two plunger housing stakes in the frame sheared off. It is at S&W as we speak. If I had been in a violent confrontation when this occurred, I might not be writing this. Has anyone heard of this breakage before? Guidance accepted, with thanks. Jack