Added a Crimson Trace grip to my SR1911 with an Ambi-Safety - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-29-2016, 07:35 PM

Added a Crimson Trace grip to my SR1911 with an Ambi-Safety

I decided to add a Crimson Trace LG-401 to my SR1911. I had been fighting the urge but as my eyes age I felt I could use some help.
I am left handed and I added the Ruger Ambi-Safety a couple of years back. I was concerned that I have a problem with the safety and the CT.
A phone call to CT indicated there would be a problem, turned out not so much.

Here's a video of the install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNR_DLhodw

I gather we still can't embed videos on the forum?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:05 PM

Ambidextrous Safety

Very nice. How do you like the Ruger ambi safety? I'm a left handed shooter and want to purchase an SR1911 but I need an ambi safety. A couple of threads say "only" Wilson Combat but I am not sure if spending $184.00 on a safety is fiscally wise. Additionally, was the safety all you needed or did you require other parts to install the safety, i.e. a pin? I'm new to the 1911 platform. I will be taking mine to a gunsmith but I don't want to show up with the part and he says "you need a (blank) also."

Nice video, thank you for posting.
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead0311 View Post
Very nice. How do you like the Ruger ambi safety? I'm a left handed shooter and want to purchase an SR1911 but I need an ambi safety. A couple of threads say "only" Wilson Combat but I am not sure if spending $184.00 on a safety is fiscally wise. Additionally, was the safety all you needed or did you require other parts to install the safety, i.e. a pin? I'm new to the 1911 platform. I will be taking mine to a gunsmith but I don't want to show up with the part and he says "you need a (blank) also."

Check the Ruger website, and you'll see that what they offer is a complete new safety in the Ambi Version roll pins and all. If I recall, I was a bit confused (3 yrs ago I was also new to all of thei) at the time since they had more than 1 on the site. So I called, they are very helpful. (336) 949-5200 for Pistols, in Prescott, AZ.
I believe a local gunsmith charged me $25 to install it.

Here's the link for the stainless version, they offer others, so check. Cost $74.95. (I think it $59 when I bought it)
http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Ambi-Saf...uctinfo/12400/

As to the gun itself, I love this weapon. For the money it is a great value. It is accurate and asside from the front sight issue, which I used as an excuse to put on Novak Night Sites, and a magazine spring needing stretching this gun has been flawless.

I have at least 4000 rounds down the pipe and it just keeps going. It takes whatever I put in it factory, self defense, and reloads. The likes to run "lightly" oiled and does not like to run dry. I usually use Ballistol on my guns but on occassion Rem oil. I do not use grease, and looking at all the grime a 1911 generates I would think that the combination of grease and grime would cause excess wear.

Sorry for the long spiel, just trying to help since you said that you were new to the platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead0311 View Post

If you were also looking at a Crimson Trace, these are the guys I got it from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crimson-Trac.../381543631215?

They seemed to have the best prices on E-Bay
Old 03-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJC View Post
Check the Ruger website, and you'll see that what they offer is a complete new safety in the Ambi Version roll pins and all. If I recall, I was a bit confused (3 yrs ago I was also new to all of thei) at the time since they had more than 1 on the site. So I called, they are very helpful. (336) 949-5200 for Pistols, in Prescott, AZ.
I believe a local gunsmith charged me $25 to install it.

Here's the link for the stainless version, they offer others, so check. Cost $74.95. (I think it $59 when I bought it)
http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Ambi-Saf...uctinfo/12400/

As to the gun itself, I love this weapon. For the money it is a great value. It is accurate and asside from the front sight issue, which I used as an excuse to put on Novak Night Sites, and a magazine spring needing stretching this gun has been flawless.

I have at least 4000 rounds down the pipe and it just keeps going. It takes whatever I put in it factory, self defense, and reloads. The likes to run "lightly" oiled and does not like to run dry. I usually use Ballistol on my guns but on occassion Rem oil. I do not use grease, and looking at all the grime a 1911 generates I would think that the combination of grease and grime would cause excess wear.

Sorry for the long spiel, just trying to help since you said that you were new to the platform.
Thank you so much EJC, I will check out the link. No need to apologize, the more information the better. I truly appreciate all your information and expertise. I just looked at the link and it is a reasonable price for the ambi safety. Thanks again sir.
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

Last edited by Jarhead0311; 03-02-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: misspelled word.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:18 PM
1911 Aficionado

How are you holding the gun so that your hand isn't blocking the laser?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
How are you holding the gun so that your hand isn't blocking the laser?
My left thumb is just under the laser housing
My support hand (right hand) rests under my thumb

It does not block the laser