Duty 1911 pics - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM

I became "semi-retired" in 2014 (still do back country contract patrols).

My youngest daughter (read: Daddy's Little Girl) moved a million miles away to Missouri to get her RN credential, and when she heard I was retiring, she called and asked me if she could have the pistol that kept me safe all those years.....

Well...what could I do? I blackmailed her into coming home for Christmas and gave her my old, beat to death, Combat Commander, worn bluing...rust pits (the ones under the grips from condensation formed while getting in and out of patrol outfits at sub-zero temps were especially embarrassing....), warts and all. A lifetime of memories tied up in that old Colt really caught me by surprise (hot calls, felony stops, building clearances, shots-fired calls.... drawn in duty..., defense..., anger..., fear..., to protect my Brothers... ). We took it out to shoot it, took a few pictures, and the old warrior was off to a new home, protecting my little girl. She took a CCW course in Kansas City (Making the instructor eat his words about it being "too much pistol for a girl" by shooting top score in the class, and out-shooting several retired LEOs getting their LEOSA qualifications out of the way). I ended up needing another Commander shortly thereafter when the sheriff asked me to come back part-time.... I miss that old pistol, but it was too young to retire....Old Colts live forever...........and maybe some old cops.........
Tom

Last edited by TDW; 11-23-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:07 PM

Very late to the party. My Colt Combat Elite carried from 1987 to 2012.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-02-2015, 10:23 AM

This one is an "after" photo after some rehab. New ignition parts, new finish, new barrel and heavy duty barrel bushing.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149 (1).JPG
Views:	98
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	156644
Old 12-15-2015, 08:22 PM

Old 01-19-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty908 View Post
Here's my TRP that I use...

--Tim
I love the way the finish has worn on this pistol, anyone with experience knows that gun has broken leather many times, simply beautiful. I wish I kept my original revolvers they were worn in the same fashion.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDW View Post

My youngest daughter (read: Daddy's Little Girl) moved a million miles away to Missouri to get her RN credential, and when she heard I was retiring, she called and asked me if she could have the pistol that kept me safe all those years.....

Well...what could I do? I blackmailed her into coming home for Christmas and gave her my old, beat to death, Combat Commander, worn bluing...rust pits (the ones under the grips from condensation formed while getting in and out of patrol outfits at sub-zero temps were especially embarrassing....), warts and all. A lifetime of memories tied up in that old Colt really caught me by surprise (hot calls, felony stops, building clearances, shots-fired calls.... drawn in duty..., defense..., anger..., fear..., to protect my Brothers... ). We took it out to shoot it, took a few pictures, and the old warrior was off to a new home, protecting my little girl. She took a CCW course in Kansas City (Making the instructor eat his words about it being "too much pistol for a girl" by shooting top score in the class, and out-shooting several retired LEOs getting their LEOSA qualifications out of the way). I ended up needing another Commander shortly thereafter when the sheriff asked me to come back part-time.... I miss that old pistol, but it was too young to retire....Old Colts live forever...........and maybe some old cops.........
Tom
Great story and great pistol Tom! Thanks for your (ongoing) service, and congrats on raising your daughter right. Gives this new dad something to shoot for.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:35 AM

I just changed over from carrying a Glock for the last 18 years to a Kimber TLE II. Added Wilson combat ETM magazines.

Question for those carrying in uniform. I clean my gun on a regular basis but finding some "pitting" or slight rust stains. Any suggestions? We tend to get a lot of wet weather in Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Duty belt gun.jpg   duty belt gun 2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2016, 02:35 PM

I am in humid Victoria which is 5 hours south of you.

Is the Kimber stainless?

With temperature changes from AC vehicle to triple digital temps, a layer of dew will develop.

What about keeping an oily rag in a sealed baggie and when it gets rained on and at 42 time......just a quick wipe down to avoid surface rust.

Make this "routine" to avoid corrosion.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 AM

Kimber's frame and slide are stainless but their barrels are carbon steel in the white and rust really easy.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 AM

First post on the forum ladies and gentlemen. Thought my first should be what I carry on-duty.
Sig TACOPS with the Traditional slide... performs nothing short of phenomenal. Eats anything I feed it. Been a great experience thus far.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:05 PM

My Dad's old duty weapon after being carried from 1982 until 2007.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:07 PM

After coming out of my VERY short retirement to work part-time, I was told pretty quick that I needed to upgrade to a weapons-light capable platform.....well......Hey!!...I'm a lifelong Colt guy, so.....Rail Gun !!

This thing runs so slick and fast, I can keep up with the "kids" (pretty much)... I added a Smith and Alexander arched MSH with a magwell and the VZ Operator grips, and it feels like an extension of my hand.

They wanted lights so I put lights on everything......

You will have to forgive the old, beat-up Winchester shotgun....but it has been with me since the beginning, and has earned it's credentials in some dark and ugly situations...
Sgt. Tom

Last edited by TDW; 04-16-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Tom
Nice story! Family.
Hi Standard Sentinel Deluxe
S&W Model 19
Old 04-16-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Tom
I have to admit... I'm only 37 but this made me tear up a little. I have sworn by 1911's my whole life, as my Father did, but am admittedly just as comfortable with a high-cap pea shooter of the 9mm variety. My old man trained under Colonel Cooper and carried a 1911 for 23 of his 24 years with Houston P.D. Thanks to a certain b***h he dated after his divorce from my Mom, only 2 of his guns survived for me to find when he passed away in October of 2014; a Colt Trooper MK III and a Springer Commander sized I bought him for Father's Day a few years ago.

When he passed away, I had enough money left to buy myself one nice thing, and I have finally received it from Luke Volkmann. It will be my duty weapon as soon as I can con the local rangemaster into going to the range with me so I can qualify with it.
Attached Thumbnails
1911.JPG   1911.2.JPG   1911badge.JPG   holster.JPG  
Old 04-22-2016, 12:54 AM

Here's my duty weapon.

Currently looking for new grips.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 04-22-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
if you are referring to my DW CCO grip with the badge

the grips are Larry Davidson Chubs (little thicker than standard)

I provided the tie tac from the dept I work for. Got into a little hot water using it for the grip back when I got it done.

I sent him the tie tac and he inlayed it in the grip.

You can find his website under monkey grips.
Where is the picture of the DW CCO?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:02 AM

SW CQB 45.
I had a very similar situation some years back. My old Watch Sgt. called me on the carpet for a post I had put on this forum some years back. He succinctly and loudly explained to me that doing so, was "out of Policy". After his short "refresher course", I pulled the post as part of my penance.....I have been very careful to blur or cover any Dept marked items since then. He was right, I was wrong, and that was the end of it. I have given variations of his speech to some of the new hires, just to keep them out of hot water.
Sgt. Tom
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 PM

My duty Colt DE SS 10mm I carried the last 11 of 29 years. I recently returned to the profession and now carry an issued Glock 22.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 09-29-2016, 01:50 PM

These were carried for years. Pretty basic Series '80 Colt Governments that never failed. Nothing as exotic as a lot of you guys carried because we were only authorized the Series '80 Colt if we didn't carry a SIG or Glock. I had two set up near identically because I'd previously had a gun impounded for about 18 months after an on-duty shooting incident and wanted another Colt in case something similar happened again. They look almost new because I refinished the most used one, on the left, every couple of years when it would start to look kinda ratty. I have a bead blast cabinet,etc. so it was never a problem to make the old Colt/s respectable looking again.
Attached Thumbnails
duty -1.jpg   Old Duty II.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 02:17 PM

Started carrying my Springfield about 3 months ago.