why no Military and Veteran subforum? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Sorry I ruffled feathers, I did not intend to offend. From my view point, the students were arguing with the teacher. Sorry for the ill feelings, please forgive.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
Sorry I ruffled feathers, I did not intend to offend. From my view point, the students were arguing with the teacher. Sorry for the ill feelings, please forgive.
Your forgiven Senior Chief! Things have been crazy on the forum lately.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 AM

I'm LEO and I'd like to see either an LEO/Mil forum or both an LEO and Mil forum.

The 1911 is a firearm that is dear to both military and law enforcement. There are veterans alive today who used the 1911 in the most dire of circumstances. If law enforcement has a place to discuss "shop", then I would expect that the members of our military forces, who I deeply respect and admire, would have a similar place. I am thankful to be able to see all the historic photos and stories from veterans in other forums and I think, particularly in the 1911 forum, that stories, pictures, and discussions from veterans in a subject-specific forum would benefit the overall education and learning here.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired AF CE View Post
There is a problem with the LEO Sub Forum! The Military members are not allowed to post or comment on the LE Sub forum. Some of the Forum members are very hostile towards other people who are not LE but have significant experience in similar matters. So when a Military member does post, they get bullied embarrassed and disrespected.

I personally think it is disgusting how some of the LE forum members treat others on the 1911 forum site! They think they are exclusive. Truth is, they are the most rude on the forum in general.

This site has a lot of Active Duty and Retired Military with a vast amount of knowledge in 1911's, small arms, training and tactics with real world experience that get so disrespected because they just want to help other members and work together in solving real world issues with the 1911 and other high topic issues.
It works both ways. We seem to have attracted a lot of cop bashers on here lately, causing the LEO sub-forum to be one of the bigger headaches for the moderators in the past year. I know a lot of LEOs on here have gotten pretty defensive in light of the high-profile incidences in the news lately, what with all the anti-cop attitudes not just from the general public but from gun owners who should normally be on the same side as the police. As a result we're a bit reluctant at the moment to create a combined LE/military sub-forum until we can figure out a way to get a handle on all the negativity there. One other minor issue is keeping military talk separate from discussion of GI 1911s themselves which currently belongs in the dedicated USGI sub-forum.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the reply DSK!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:59 AM

Army; 26.5 yrs., a MIL forum would be nice! Trained with and fired my first 1911 when I became a WO.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 08-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
It works both ways. We seem to have attracted a lot of cop bashers on here lately, causing the LEO sub-forum to be one of the bigger headaches for the moderators in the past year. I know a lot of LEOs on here have gotten pretty defensive in light of the high-profile incidences in the news lately, what with all the anti-cop attitudes not just from the general public but from gun owners who should normally be on the same side as the police. As a result we're a bit reluctant at the moment to create a combined LE/military sub-forum until we can figure out a way to get a handle on all the negativity there. One other minor issue is keeping military talk separate from discussion of GI 1911s themselves which currently belongs in the dedicated USGI sub-forum.
Why would any American support illegality that is verified by video?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Why would any American support illegality that is verified by video?
What are you talking about?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:38 PM

I'm guessing he's talking about the recent videos of excessive force. But I do agree that if Military doesn't fit this format neither should Police. And I was both.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Administrator

A very small number of bad apples ends up causing some folks to hate/distrust ALL cops. Kinda the same way we gun owners are viewed every time somebody goes nuts and shoots up a store or theater. Thanks for proving my point that we have some obvious cop haters on here which is why the LE sub-forum is so difficult to manage.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:39 PM

I get a good amount of time with other military veteran 1911 enthusiasts at my gun club, don't need an Internet club for same.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 PM

You are absolutely correct dsk, then when you add in how defensive many police are about their profession it quickly escalates into problems. I'd leave them both out, neither are germane to 1911's as this forum was meant to be.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:17 PM

Active USAF 91-04, 05-15 DoD Civilian...

I've never felt a need for a Vet specific thing on any forum. There's plenty of places to get stroked by other Vet's and parse out war stories. I'm harsh and crass about it, but I never felt special, or needed other vets to soothe my ego in some way, some private hang out. It's 1911s, that's it. For me.

I think it's retarded to have a political section that just invites heavy moderation and argument but that's what they want.

But there's a very strong point of the LEOs having a section.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 AM

Navy / Army veteran. Don't see the point for a sub-forum.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
Navy / Army veteran. Don't see the point for a sub-forum.
Clarification: If vets want a section here to discuss things, what's the harm?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired AF CE View Post
There is a problem with the LEO Sub Forum! The Military members are not allowed to post or comment on the LE Sub forum. Some of the Forum members are very hostile towards other people who are not LE but have significant experience in similar matters. So when a Military member does post, they get bullied embarrassed and disrespected.

I personally think it is disgusting how some of the LE forum members treat others on the 1911 forum site! They think they are exclusive. Truth is, they are the most rude on the forum in general.

This site has a lot of Active Duty and Retired Military with a vast amount of knowledge in 1911's, small arms, training and tactics with real world experience that get so disrespected because they just want to help other members and work together in solving real world issues with the 1911 and other high topic issues.

You're probably right, but I can't really see why anybody should get disrespecful towards somebody else, I mean we are all 1911 enthusiasts, so everyone shoud bring his own experience and contribution towards helping other 1911 aficionados.
I like and share your above mentioned paragraph that I've evidenced in italic.
My 2 cents

coltfortyfive
Old 08-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
Clarification: If vets want a section here to discuss things, what's the harm?
Whats the point un cluttering up the forum with it? What more will come out of it?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Retired Administrator

See: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...=496983&page=2