"Are you a police officer?" Strange Exchange at the Range - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-12-2003, 10:14 PM

Cops and defensive shooting (tactics and all) go together.

If you were in a field admiring corn and talking about manure everyone would think you were a farmer.

Funny thing is... I shoot all the time, but at the department range. I have never been to a civilian range. I asked around and the departments in this area (SE MI) have their own ranges.

My .02
Old 07-24-2003, 06:53 PM

I don't get asked if I'm a Police Officer when I'm at the range but I do get asked if I'm ex-military(my USMC tattoo gives me away).

I've been a martial arts instructor for many years and an have had many Law Enforcement Officers who were students and I've gone shooting with them. All of them were great shots.

As with every profession there are good and bad.

Only those close to me know I'm a martial arts instructor and Concealed Handgun Permit holder. I prefer to blend in wherever I go and will not normally engage in conversation with many people.

I have encountered all kinds of "interesting" people while at gun ranges, karate tournaments, even while working as an armed security officer. It does seem that any kind of skill attracts people who can come across as a little weird. I remember a guy asking me at a karate tournament if he could see my "hands and feet are a lethal weapon" license. He figured every Black belt had one of those. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail...just kidding...

Back when I owned a Harley('92 Softail Custom) I rode it to the office where I worked. Everyone didn't look at me the same way.
And that was kind of sad. I went from nice computer guy, to bad ass biker(and though I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years...I'm really not a bad guy). I can imagine how they would have treated me if they knew I was gun-owning, kenpo karate, marine.

A great friend of mine once said something to me about martial arts that I like to apply to many other private facets of my life. She said, "I do martial arts for me, not to show off or tell the world, so I'm very careful whom I share that part of my life with."
It makes a lot of sense to me.

Kenpoman
Old 07-25-2003, 10:24 AM

I get asked ALOT if I am a cop when at the range or in shooting/reloading stores.
I go to a range in the norther part of the Twin Cities where really good shooters (including cops) go. I go there because I can usually pick up a tip or two from one of the more seasoned shooters. I don't get asked as much there by the folks who go there alot, or by the LEOs.

I went to Bill's Gun Shop in Minneapolis with a good friend of mine. He doesn't look like a LEO, but again, I get the stares. I pick out my .357magnum with handloads and start firing. I have 4 LEOs on one side and 3 on the other on the range.

The muzzle flash is what scares the ba-jee-beez out of them, and then the head tilts and they lean their bodies out to see who is shooting.

After my 5th set of 7rds, I turn to see 3 cops standing almost right behind me staring at my grouping from 25yds. (nice 3" groups...pretty proud of myself...nice what 3K rounds through the same gun will do)

I turn around and say hello to them. Then I see their targets. Be affraid.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I have ALOT of respect for LEOs,. but, Minneapolis Police should not be allowed to carry guns if this is the type of shooting skills they posess. I have seen better grouping with bird shot out of a 22lr.

Yes, I do get asked if I am a cop. I always tell them "no", or don't answer because I would rather just keep shooting. And it is almost always by 18yr old kids or people who don't look they could make it through the police academy and become one themselves.

-Warlock
Old 07-31-2003, 05:31 PM

I am relatively new to internet forums, but I have noticed that many people are of the opinion that “cops” are notoriously poor shots and don’t know or have never been taught safe gun handling. It has been my experience, after almost thirty years in the “cop” business that this belief is patently untrue. The majority of LEOs don’t particularly like guns. Most LEOs regard guns, pepper spray, batons, flashlights, handcuffs, etc. as simply tools of the trade. Having said that, LEOs in every jurisdiction I have ever worked were always required to qualify, at the very least, once a year. My agency requires twice a year qualifications, a daylight shoot with a possible score of 300 and 270 to qualify firing 60 rounds. Basically the same course is fired the same night with the same parameters, but adding a flashlight, automobile headlights, and flares. The same day we must qualify on the agency’s FATS system. You don’t have to like guns, you don’t have to enjoy shooting, you don’t have to practice, but you must qualify. Why, because if you don’t you are suspended until you do! Why so strict? Legal liability! Many, many departments and agencies mandate the same procedures. Before you ask, yes, our Director has to run the same qualification course as the troops and if he fails, the same result. We have a good boss. This is his program and he leads with the attitude, “I’m never going to require anybody to do anything I’m not willing to do myself”.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:46 PM

I think there is a stigma/sterotype that all cops/leos are good shots as opposed to all cops/leos are blind.

First hand knowledge tells me this is not the case.

I didn't mean for this to become a discussion of how one should (or should not) perceive police officers/law enforcement officals.

But there is a trend at alot of ranges to see newbie's standing around and asking if the best shot on the range is a real life "Dirty Harry Calahan". (even though most LEO's no longer carry revolvers or AMT Automags)

I have seen really good shots who are ex-military who have joined the force. I have also seen a few Rosco P. Coltrain's (who look more like Boss Hogg) on the range who should not even be allowed to chew gum. (let alone carry a firearm)

My $.02

-Warlock