.22 Fun - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 PM

.22 Fun

Finally found an outdoor range to shoot my new Savage Mark II. The range had target sockets at 25/50/75/100 yards. I would say 100 yards is perfect for my bushnell 3-9 scope, .5" dots are hard to see.

A few targets, most of these were from 75 and 100 yards. Unfortunatly i left my prized last target on the holder when i left

Not bad for a rookie.

I also found that my 525ct box of Federal hollow points were more accurate than the CCI Mini-mag round nose. Hmmm
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Careful, those .22 guns can become addicting. Then again with a handle like TClark22 I think you may already be to far gone for intervention. That's a good thing.

Slip a bipod on that puppy, embrace your inner Walter Mitty in sniper mode, and feel lucky that it likes the bulk Federal and feed it plenty of them. There are plenty of worse ways to spend a morning or afternoon than working your way through a pile of .22lr while being able focus on getting a smooth, steady shot and trigger control. It can become rather a zen moment if you aren't careful. Not to mention it's just a heck of a lot of inexpensive fun. The few .22s I have around shoot the Federal 550 from Walmart well.

I've been wanting to take a piece of paper or poster board and glue Necco wafers in rows and columns to it and hang that as a target then work my way through them. One shot per wafer and see how much of a run I can make before missing one as well as a total hit/miss percentage. Like shooting small target spots, but more satisfying when you break one. Since I can't stand the taste of them it seems like a better use for them.

I've only heard good things about the Savage MarkII. Congrats on the new addition.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 04-01-2012, 11:52 AM

I did have it on a bipod for these shots, but it is the cheap winchester one from walmart.

I got compliments on my groups from the guy next to me shooting a sick 7.62 AR with a nasty scope on it. I really wanted to shoot his gun but too shy to ask him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Yep, looking good, btw. Forgot to mention that. Heck, you're set. I'm sure the cheaper bipod will do just fine. I lucked out and found a Harris BR some years ago at a yard sale for $10. I usually don't get that lucky. I thought it was missing something for a while and didn't use it. It wouldn't cinch down and tighten (I also didn't really know how the darned this worked since I'd never had one before.) Then I found out the previous owner had put a cross screw in a lower hole on the two claw pieces. I moved the screw back up and went to using it. It's on my old Remington bolt .22 now.

Now get back out there and do ammo tests, plinking targets, and all that other fun stuff. I wish I could but I have to go to work today. Bleh. Oh well, it's OT so I get more money for more stuff.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 04-01-2012, 06:39 PM

working on the weekend sucks!

The cheap winchester works fine, i read that they tend to break or whatnot but i don't see how, its built well and functions just as good. The only downside i noticed is that i have to extend one leg further than the other to get a level sight picture...
Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClark22 View Post
I got compliments on my groups from the guy next to me shooting a sick 7.62 AR with a nasty scope on it. I really wanted to shoot his gun but too shy to ask him
Heck next time offer to let him shoot it. He might let you shoot his. I have done this more than a few times. It makes the range a little more friendly. Not to mention gives you a nice icebreaker.