ICE or S&A for Spartan? Which mags? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 09:39 AM

ICE or S&A for Spartan? Which mags?

It's down to the Dawson Ice vs the S&A magwell.
I've read many many posts by members of this forum and others. Here's what I want and don't ....

I have stock grips on my Spartan. Don't know what my aftermarket grips would be or if I'd put grip tape on the stock wood ones. I prefer a blued checkered flat mainspring. This will be a pure game gun which needs to make weight. Medium sized hands that like the extra room/shelf/support of a magwell.

New mags are in order but I don't want to buy extra bases and then have to grind them to fit in the box.

If I get the ICE do I need to get the extra insert to fill in the gap?
If I get the ICE do I need mags with a really tall/thick base and will it require filing?

The S&A will require new grips?
Any of the nicer 8 round mags and their padded base fit the S&A?
Is the S&A a simple add-on or is there drilling and filing and bending?

Last edited by YamaLink; 12-24-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:11 AM

Same Decisions

I recently went down this same path. I ended up getting the Dawson Ice. I've had S&A in the past, and they are fine, but why not try something new.

You didn't specify which game you are setting up for. I'm setting up for IDPA. One Spartan in 9mm for ESP class and another in .45 for CDP class. Dawson states their mag well is IDPA legal on their website so that's all the peace of mind I needed to know adding their mag well would be a legal mod. Can't help you on the weight question until I get mine installed. From everything I've read, the updated Spartans should fit the IDPA box and make weight.

I ordered the Dawson no gap for the 9mm because I could also order Dawson's 9mm mags that were designed to work with the no gap mag well. If the mags turn out to be bad, I can order a replacement Ice insert that will allow the use of mags from other manufacturers. From my initial evaluation of the mags, I think they are going to work out just fine, but it's nice to have the option to switch in the future.

For the .45, I ordered the mag well with the gapped insert. Dawson does not have their no-gap mags available yet so I will probably run Wilsons now and may run Dawson mags when they become available at a later date. If I do, it's only a matter of ordering a new un-gapped ice insert and I'm off to the races.

I ordered flat mainspring housings because I know I hate the feel of an arched housing. I ordered replacement grips that are flat at the bottom to accomodate the addition of the mag well. I'll know better after installing the mag well if they need some minor adjustment.

The Dawson instructions are excellent and walk you through step by step illustrated instructions including how and where to work if fitting is required.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Hello: Here we go again I have used most of the magwells. If you want to hide the gap between the frame and the magwell then get the Dawson Ice no gap. If you get the no gap you will need new base pads for it. The Dawson no gap base pads work well with the Wilson 47D's. The S&A works great and can be opened up to load even faster. Tech Wear make a good magwell. The TGO model works with extended base pads. I have been using the Dawson no gap and the S&A on my Spartan 45. One is not any faster than the other. I have not seated the mags 4 times with the Dawson. The S&A is what I am using now. I am using the Horned Lizard grips with a square magwell bottom and cut a slot for the mag release. Thanks, Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Thanks. S and A it is.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 PM

I have a S&A magwell on my Spartan, there is a slight gap from frame bottom to the arms of the magwell, is this common? Is there a way to fit it? Its really not that big a deal just curios. Oh yea I have ordered some hogue grips for a S&A magwell, these might cover the gap, any one have experience with these type of Hogue grips?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:04 PM

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/magwell.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks701 View Post
I have a S&A magwell on my Spartan, there is a slight gap from frame bottom to the arms of the magwell, is this common? Is there a way to fit it? Its really not that big a deal just curios. Oh yea I have ordered some hogue grips for a S&A magwell, these might cover the gap, any one have experience with these type of Hogue grips?
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM

I went s&a,And iam still runnin the factory grips..
Attached Thumbnails
mikes guns 047.jpg  
Old 12-25-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Thanks Yamalink, but I have a gap all the way to the MSH, if I use the allen wrench, it will just bend the arms towards the front and still leave the gap it the back. I think I'll wait untill my new grips arive and see if they cover up, if not I'll try that approach and see what happens.

rustbuilder, from your pic it looks like there is not a gap, it just might be the camera angle. Did you do any type of fitting or did it just fit?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:36 PM

There is such a small gap no need to work it.You have to look real hard.So it was as close to dropin as it could be,I did blend the bottom a little.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM

I went from an S&A to a Dawson Ice, no gap.

I run Wilson 47D's. For the Dawson Ice, I had to order the Wilson .625 basepads and then trim the nose of the basebad and the bottom to get them to fit the box.

IMO, it is a much faster reload than the S&A and it helps a bunch on the ones that didn't quite hit the magwell center, which running SS, you tend to reload a bunch.

Overall, it's helped me a lot on blown reloads.