About to pull the trigger! First 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 PM

About to pull the trigger! First 1911

Well I've been trying to decide on a 1911 for the last six months and I think I've finally made up my mind. Tell me if I missed anything in my decision making process.

First I had to decide what roll I wanted the gun to function in, and I decided that I don't need a gun for concealed carry because I already have a Glock 23 to perform that roll. I also have a Glock 21 that I carry at work.

I have decided I want a traditional style full size, single stack, chambered .45 auto with some modern touches because they are just darn cool. With that being said I have decided I want a STI Trojan 5.0 with fixed 2 dot night sights, magwell, and standard thickness grips for the following reasons. I decided to get the fixed sight cut because it leaves me the option to install an adjustable rear target sight if I decide that what I want later. I also plan to have Brazos do a trigger job before sending it out to me. I plan to get a set of black VZ Operator II grips and blued hex grip screws because black is beautiful. I also plan to get 5 Wilson Combat magazines.

The gun will occasionally be carried concealed but will mostly see a lot of range time. I may even try shooting some steel challenge this summer.

I was raised around guns and I have been a police officer for the last six years. I am also a line safety officer so I know a little about shooting. However, this is my first 1911 and I think the combonation stated above gives me the most bang for the buck. I have looked at every brand and combination imaginable, but I keep coming back to the Trojan.

The only negative thing I have read about the Trojan is that the finish sometimes comes off and this does not bother me at all. I personally like the look of a gun that looks like it gets shot.

Sorry for the long post, but am I over looking anything. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:54 PM

I think you will be very happy with what you've described.

I bought a Trojan in .40 from Brazos a couple years ago and had them go over it and touch up the trigger. That turned out to be a great gun for the money.

Last edited by 10ring; 12-23-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM

I just picked up a trojan a couple months ago, and am very pleased with it. It was my first 1911 as well. I dont think you will be disappointed.

I now have a Les Baer SRP on order as well. The 1911 is a great platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Decisions Decisions

Well, I'm still doing a lot of thinking about what I want and I think I've changed my mind and decided to get the standard adjustable target sights that come on the Trojan. I think this will really help me dial in the accuracy. And am also thinking of switching to 9mm. Hell, I said in my first post that this is going to be an almost exclusive target gun and the 9mm will have less recoil and be cheaper to shoot. My wife told me I can order whatever I pick out on the 7th of January and this decision is driving me crazy. I guess there are worse problems to have.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Icon, I think you are suffering from the delusion that the 1911 you order
will be your last. It will be your first.

Joe
Old 12-25-2010, 08:05 PM

Hello: I would also look at the STI Spartan as well. It is great value for the dollar. One thing I don't like about the Trojan is the front strap dimples. They don't give any grip at all. I use skate tape on my Spartan or used to since I just finished checkering the front strap. My Spartan is almost finished except a french border and hard chrome. It has been a great pistol and very well made. Thanks, Eric