Kahr PM-9: First time out - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Let me chime in on the praise of the PM9 - it is also my always carry gun. I use a Blade-tech IWB, and it literally disappears. I put the Pearce Mag extensions on mine, and they allow a full four finger grip. An inexpensive and worthwile mod. I have been carrying mins daily for over two years, and there is zero wear on the slide. Mine is the black coated stainless (forgot what you call the finish) and it is tough. I have even dropped it a couple of times & no scratches. Good carry gun & the 9 is a decent caliber...
Old 04-16-2009, 01:07 PM

I love the PM - 9.

I have 4 or 5 holsters for mine. I call it my American Express Gun Unless I'm carrying something bigger I NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

My three favs. are

Galco Materix Paddle out of kydex
DeSantis speed scabard for a belt holster
High noon IWB holster

I have added a MMC adjustable black blade rear sight and a Trijicon night sight up front.

BTW-- after break in--- it shoots everything well.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM

it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
I love the PM - 9.

I have 4 or 5 holsters for mine. I call it my American Express Gun Unless I'm carrying something bigger I NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

My three favs. are

Galco Materix Paddle out of kydex
DeSantis speed scabard for a belt holster
High noon IWB holster

I have added a MMC adjustable black blade rear sight and a Trijicon night sight up front.

BTW-- after break in--- it shoots everything well.
my 24/7 carry and has been for over 2 years, rides in my front pocket in a desantis. shoots anything that goes into the pipe. I have the MMC adjustable on my K9 but I have the xs big dot on the PM9. Best gun I have ever carried..

I just bought the PM9's son the P380 about a week ago and it is real meal deal, let me tell u. Won't replace my PM9 but oh my what a gun it is. If u love the PM9, u would love the P380...
Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 PM

I put XS Big Dot sights on my PM9. Easier for my older eyes to see! I also lightened up the trigger pull by swapping out a spring and works well for my arthritic finger. The original was fine, but a little stiff for me. It is uber reliable and easy to carry. I carry mine in a Rusty Sherrick leather pocket hoster where is just disappears into a deep pocket and loose fitting jeans or slacks. On days that I can, I will carry in an Allesi belt slide OWB that Kahr used to carry. I now have my sights on the P380 and will pull the trigger if I can find a box of .380 ammo for less than $100 a box...

H
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM

if u

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyhf View Post
I put XS Big Dot sights on my PM9. Easier for my older eyes to see! I also lightened up the trigger pull by swapping out a spring and works well for my arthritic finger. The original was fine, but a little stiff for me. It is uber reliable and easy to carry. I carry mine in a Rusty Sherrick leather pocket hoster where is just disappears into a deep pocket and loose fitting jeans or slacks. On days that I can, I will carry in an Allesi belt slide OWB that Kahr used to carry. I now have my sights on the P380 and will pull the trigger if I can find a box of .380 ammo for less than $100 a box...

H
see a P380 for sale buy it kand then worry about the 380 ammo. I think the P380 is very very scarce to find. You will love it though, super handgun and top quality through out.. Just like ur PM9..
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 AM

Bigboy, you gotta do what you think is best for you, but if you want to hear any other thoughts on this, I would recommend avoiding .380. Not to get into yet another abstract caliber debate, because I do agree that carrying a gun is better than not carrying a gun, and sometimes the size of a .380 makes it possible to carry when you could not carry anything else.

That is, until the PM9 came along. Yeah, the P380 is a bit smaller than the PM9, but not THAT much smaller. And while the .380 rounds may be better than nothing, a 9mm is substantially more effective as a defensive round. If you want the opinion of a ballistics professional, Dr Gary Roberts writes that you'd be better sticking with a small 9mm, or even a revolver in .38, than going with .380. (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914)

One other reason I decided to get out of the .380 world was that the ammo is just beyond ridiculous: you can't find any, and it's price higher than .45 ammo!!! I really don't see that turning around soon, either. Sadly, every yahoo in the market that thinks they need a gun since BO was elected is trying to buy a Ruger LCP or something similar, so that .380 is apparently becoming the "caliber of the masses." But the ammo makers aren't tooled up to produce that much .380, so it's always going to be in short supply and way overpriced, IMO.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 AM

So, it's the general consensus here that the PM-9 is indeed 1. a true pocket gun and, 2. a good one? I've been jonesing for one of these for quite some time but some of the negative comments I've read have made me hesitant, especially given the rather high price tag. I would think the PM-9 would be a great carry gun for a woman.

Tom
Old 04-25-2009, 12:15 PM

It's been my impression that you can find negative comments about ANY type of gun, if you look around enough. And the PM9 is no exception. However, the longer I have looked around, and started a couple of threads about it on my favorite gun forums, it appears that the overwhelming majority of current and recent PM9 users have had positive experiences with them. That is not scientific polling obviously, just an impression I've had from several large threads with many posters contributing.

The comments of others, combined with the experiences of my father with his Kahr P9, plus my own experience with the new PM9, plus my experience with owning and buying guns and comparing the Kahr's build quality to others I have owned, have led me to believe that Kahr does indeed make a good gun. And yes, given that it seems reliable and well made, and is easy to carry, I think it's a good pocket-sized 9mm for any woman or man.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me1911 View Post
So, it's the general consensus here that the PM-9 is indeed 1. a true pocket gun and, 2. a good one? I've been jonesing for one of these for quite some time but some of the negative comments I've read have made me hesitant, especially given the rather high price tag. I would think the PM-9 would be a great carry gun for a woman.

Tom
Yeah, I was almost scared away by the occasional negative comment also, but I went with the majority opinion and I'm glad I did. It does seem from some threads that there were some early quality control issues, but it appears that Kahr has worked that out. There are only a few 9mm pistols near this size manufactured, and of them the PM9 seems to be the highest quality.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 PM

Is right

Quote:

Tom
Maximus is right. 90% of the time I carry my PM9, it can go anywhere I want it to go. It pockets ALMOST as good as my P380 kahr. No comparison in firepower. The PM9 i9s the way to go, if u gonna buy one gun. I love the P380 but it is certainly not my carry peace.

I just don't think you can beat the PM9, right now I don't see anything out there near it and the ncie thing about the PM9 is that mine at least will shoot any 9mm that goes into the pipe. All karhs are not ammo sensitive as many of the smaller sizie 9's are. This is a big plus.

Some don't like the loooooong but totalysmooth trigger on the kahrs. But they are wha tthey are, IMO a true double action semi. Takes some rounds down range to get used to the trigger system but they willshoot um in the same hole at 7 yards and under. It is a defense gun and not a 25 yard match gun..

My PM9 hit 19,600 rounds two days ago. damn thing just goes bang every time..
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM

^^^^ Whats this guy up to? Ban time.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 AM

wow

Quote:

Tom
wonderful statement, Your last sentence really made alot of sense
. First it is to high of a price and then it would be a great carry gun for a woman.

Yup convinced me. My PM9 with 19.800 rounds through it willbe for sale...