Taurus PT1911 - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you trust your life with a Taurus PT1911?
yes 151 70.89%
no 62 29.11%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 PM

My experiences with them were bad. I've owned a Milenium Pro PT-145 that had to go back to Taurus twice and still wouldn't feed HP reliably. Sold it at a huge loss. I tried my my luck with the PT1911 as a possible truck gun and it would never feed right either. Went back to Taurus after 300rds of several different types of ammo and different types of mags. Got it back nearly 3 months later and it's working after 200 rounds but the safety has worked it's way loose? Did some research on the forums and this is a widespread problem. It seems that some work and some don't. Not something I'd trust my life with.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Mine hasn't failed me yet, in fact I just bought another with the Bulls Head Grips, should be here next week and I got 400rds waiting . I do know a guy who had the safety come loose on his which he fixed with an STI extended thumb safety, it dropped in with no fitting needed.
Browning Hi Power Standard, SigSauer P226 9mm, Beretta M9 9mm, CZ 75B Omega 9mm, M&P 9c and Pro, Cimarron Model P Cavalry 7.5" 357, Doublestar M4 HBAR .223/5.56, Century C39v2 Zhukov, Winchester 94 30/30, Mosin Nagant 91/30 54R
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 AM

Never had any problems with mine. I carry it all the time. Lost count of how many trouble free rounds. Over 3k. Runs any ammo flawlessly.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:30 PM

The ONLY differance between my PT1911 and my SA TRP Operator is about $800 and the fact that my PT1911 has NEVER had a FTF of any kind. I can't say the same about the SA. The SA groups slightly smaller, but I consider it a finicky range gun.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Nem45, do you own a PT1911? That was the question.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 AM

JR, did you read my post?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:12 AM

LOL @ Nem45, I was wondering the same thing, hahaha.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
My experiences with them were bad. I've owned a Milenium Pro PT-145 that had to go back to Taurus twice and still wouldn't feed HP reliably. Sold it at a huge loss. I tried my my luck with the PT1911 as a possible truck gun and it would never feed right either. Went back to Taurus after 300rds of several different types of ammo and different types of mags. Got it back nearly 3 months later and it's working after 200 rounds but the safety has worked it's way loose? Did some research on the forums and this is a widespread problem. It seems that some work and some don't. Not something I'd trust my life with.
I glossed over the PT1911, thinking, wrongly, that you were referring to the 145. My apologies.

I have an even dozen Taurus pistols, some nearly 25 years old, or older. NONE of them had any problems. Some have passed the 10K mark. ALL pistols have some JHP that they won't feed, even my Sigs, Colts, SA, Kimber, S&W, and HK.

The problems with the safety were batch related, and have been eliminated pretty well. I own one, and it's been flawless at over 2K rounds. With all of the crap spewed about them, it's virtually impossible for me to have as many flawless Taurus guns, if the posters are accurate.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Just an observation...

Reported problems with Taurus, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, and other handguns generally include one that claims "all the reports" or "many people say" with regards to problems with their particular model. Something to consider - one person may post the same complaint about their gun on 5 or more gun related discussion boards - usually a cut and paste of their original post. I know I belong to about 10 firearms discussion boards and have seen this happen more often then not...

So let's see - Colt does have problems with the frame to slide fit; Taurus has problems with the ambi safety; Kimber's that look good on the outside but terribly finished on the inside; complaints about customer service abound.

Is it really as bad as claimed? Gun makers are like any other manufacturer - when they introduce a new product, no matter how much R&D and testing they do there are going to be problems. How they respond to them (i.e. Customer Service) is the question; as one example it seems that Colt is now beginning to realize that they have an issue with the CNC machine settings that are causing the slide/frame issues.

Customer service in all areas of consumer affairs has been slipping; if you check successful companies, with repeat customers who have a high satisfaction rate you will probably find a great customer service operation in play.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:55 PM

I bought my PT1911 about a year ago. Put night sights and thin Rosewood grips on the blued version. Shot around 1500 rounds thru it since I bought the pistol. Have shot various types from ball round nose to Fed HydraShok HP without a single failure of any kind. It is my primary CC weapon, so yes, I will trust my life to it and do as a matter of fact.

Soldier & Infantryman (ODS, OIF I/II & IV/V)
NRA Benefactor Life Member and GOA Life Member
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 AM

I bought a pt1911ar and i love the gun!!! I have had no problems and it is very accurate. It kicks just a little more than others but still great gun. I found a vid on youtube of one of there competition shooters shotting a pt1911 for 10 minutes straight to test its durability. there were about 6 ftl's and i think 4 ftf's but he recodcked and they fired after that. after ten minutes they put a couple thousand rounds through it and it was perfedctly fine. he had some 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his finger but damn!!!! that was a great video. sold me on the gun.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7HYgTWAsg I would recommend it to anyone. guns and ammo was impressed with it also.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM

I too had problems with the factory mags but I replaced them with wilson mags and have yet to have a problem of any kind with 2-3K rounds through it
Old 03-12-2009, 02:45 AM

I only had one ftf with the stock mags, but I plan to replace them soon anyway.

Edit: It looks like yours came with the hiene sights. I have the same pistol except in stainless finish and it came with Novaks three dots. Different finishes come with different sights now?

Last edited by Yadao; 03-12-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 AM

I've had a PT1911 since they first became available. 1st let me say that I am not a Taurus die-hard. I also have a Para OPS and a Springfield Loaded Target. In the past I had a Colt GM Series 70, a Commander and a Combat Commander. I like this 1911 and have had great luck with it so far. I'd guess it has had about 2K through it. It feeds factory and reloaded FMJ ammo and reloaded LSWC ammo like it was eating candy. I have not fired any JHP ammo through it. It has never failed to feed, fire or eject except for the very first magazine full of ammo. I bought it new and took it straight to the range. I had one light firing pin strike on the first mag. Took it home and cleaned all the factory gunk out of it and it hasn't missed since.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Taurus problems

I've had several Taurus' and all have had some problems. The latest PT1911, had at first problems with the slide stop, which I had to replace with a Wilson Combat. Now I notice the last rds. of Winchester HPs, fail to go completely into battery with the Wilson Combat Mags(brand new), but no problem with the factory Taurus mags! Go figure.. everyone else seems to say the Taurus mags. are no good, but I find I have fewer problems with them than the Wilsons.. maybe Chip McCormicks are better?
To sum it up- No, as it stands I would not trust my life to this one.. every time I think it's running ok, it always seem to to something goofy, and usually on the last rds., with brand new and used mags..
Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 AM

While I would not say I had "lots of problems" mine had a few. Light primer strikes on my reloads, maybe my fault but my SA eats all of them. I did not like the Straight 8's, could not get used to shooting lower than I wanted it.

Nothing major, I just did not like it. Sold it and bought a SIG. Not yet in love with that either but I'm warming up to it. I guess I'm not totaly happy with the Sig that says something about the Taurus in some ways Huh??

To each there own, I have not heard a lot of personal problems with the guys that shoot them at the local club.

Trust my life? It it's what I had when I needed it I would not trade it for a stick!!!!

Tony.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 PM

I had to vote "no." Every time I fire the thing something new and weird happens or falls off. I'd love to love my PT1911, I plan to keep it until all issues are resolved and then wear it out. However there will not be ANY other Taurus in my future. If my gun was for carry it would already be gone.
Except a Thunderbolt in .357 or .45acp. I might take a chance.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM

That was an impressive show. I'd have been more impressed if there had been fewer hangups.
What really caught my eye was the grip the shooter used. I have never seen a right hand grip and a left hand trigger pull. Seemed to work for him. Although I sensed he had more control when he fired with his right hand. But that's how it looked to me. He is a pro, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted23 View Post
I bought a pt1911ar and i love the gun!!! I have had no problems and it is very accurate. It kicks just a little more than others but still great gun. I found a vid on youtube of one of there competition shooters shotting a pt1911 for 10 minutes straight to test its durability. there were about 6 ftl's and i think 4 ftf's but he recodcked and they fired after that. after ten minutes they put a couple thousand rounds through it and it was perfedctly fine. he had some 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his finger but damn!!!! that was a great video. sold me on the gun.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7HYgTWAsg I would recommend it to anyone. guns and ammo was impressed with it also.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM

I wont carry a Taurus, yet...

Mt PT has over 1k malfunction free rounds. The ejector went loose during the first 200 rounds, I used red Loc Tite and the problem was solved. However, I would rather replace most of the small parts and pins with real steel. IMO, cheap casting and MIM are good for range guns, but not for carry guns. As soon the gun reaches 2k rounds I will replace all small parts and pins; if it does not choke for another 500 rounds I will carry it occasionally and give my Springer a break.

Last edited by R_CRUZ; 03-22-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:44 AM

mine had more than 15k trouble free rounds and counting. feeds and shoots anything. hell yeah i carry and compete with it.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM

I like my blued one so much I bought a stainless one Saturday to keep it company!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 AM

My unemployed friend just bought a PT1911 a couple days ago and has not shot it yet. He has nowhere to shoot so I convinced him to come out to my farm to shoot it this weekend but he/we cant stop shooting it till we see if it can run 500 rounds of different types of ammo through it. I'll post a analysis of the results when I get some time next week.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicemon View Post
My unemployed friend just bought a PT1911 a couple days ago and has not shot it yet. He has nowhere to shoot so I convinced him to come out to my farm to shoot it this weekend but he/we cant stop shooting it till we see if it can run 500 rounds of different types of ammo through it. I'll post a analysis of the results when I get some time next week.
Mine has not had any problems with factory ball, swc and hp ammo. Even likes the cci aluminum case stuff.

Have fun.

Todd
"We have discovered that the scheme of 'outlawing war' has made war more like an outlaw without making it less frequent, and that banishing the Knight, does not alleviate suffering of the peasant."--CS Lewis
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 AM

I don't have a Taurus but gave one a pretty serious look because I wanted a .45 with a rail. What's odd is that the great price scares some folks off because they think it's a low quality gun.

I ended up buying a Warrior for a lot more money than the Taurus, but I like it and know Kimber's well. Fortunately it's been a really good gun- my Kimber's have either been stellar or lemons- no middle ground for me. Everything in the collection now works up to full spec. No prob's at all.

I don't mind less expensive guns- my P90 Ruger is a tank, not suitable for carry, and it weighs a ton. That all said-- it eats any ammo I load including Wolff and Blazer aluminum and I can't pick the year it last choked a round. It's probably more accurate than I am to boot. It'll work every time the trigger is pulled.

So yes- get a Taurus. Great gun, especially for the money.

Neil.
Dallas, TX.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM

Taurus PT 1911AR

Just throwing my 2 cents worth. I bought a RIA a couple of months ago and after shoooting and carrying it I decided for me that a 45 was the way to go.. I then decided being left handed I needed a ambi safety and then I was good to go...After talking to my local gunsmith who is a 45 fanatic and keep a long story short, it is being customized and machined plus cera kote. So i decided to go and maybe look for another decent priced 45 and found the Taurus PT1911AR. I am not a Taurus fan but the gun felt good, had what I was looking for, and was not a arm and a leg.. I have had it now for a couple of weeks and have put around 300-350 rounds through it..I have put FMJ, reloads from my gunsmith, and some older ammo my father had..No problems at all. The fit and finish is not as good as some higher ends i have seen but you do get what you pay for.. All I can say is when I aim at the bull at 25 yards and squeeze the trigger, It goes boom..For the money I am more than happy..