1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyScott999 View Post
I have everything from a SA Milspec up to Wilsons & Browns. Throw a few colts and kimbers in the middle. I think you would be well served with the Milspec or the loaded.

If I were you, I would look at the DW CBOB for a couple hundred more.
Good luck finding a CBob for a couple hundred more...going price now is $1000-$1100.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 PM

I vote for a Springer, but if possible at Dan Wesson.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Dan Wesson is just out of my price range, and everyone I knew who had a kimber got rid of it
Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Springfield no question.
LES BAER CONCEPT VIII
SIG 1911
Old 03-21-2009, 10:11 PM

I say go for the Springfield. I personally compared numerous models and brands of 1911's, and set my heart on the Springer... I just picked up a new Springfield GI, and I have NO regrets.

Plus, if you are a "tinkerer" like you say, then you will definitely have no problem with ANY Springfield 1911. For my tastes, it's the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 PM

Just a note. The Springfield XD is NOT double action.

Why a revolver?

More power. Unless you get some exotic custom auto or a 10mm you can get better power with a revolver. And there's a LOT less to go wrong with a revolver when you are messing around in the field.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Springfield Milspec

Once you get it DO NOT start to swap parts and stuff. Shoot at least 500 rnds before you start customizing it. Once it has proven to be reliable you can have it your way.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 AM

Alright, so how hard is it to swap sights out on the mil-spec. This is something that I would do quickly since I am most likely to NEED to use the gun in dim light conditions.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 AM

I have 1911s by Colt, Kimber and Springfield Armory. None of them have given me amy problems after a cleaning and break-in trip. The warranty of the SA would be the deciding factor for the models you're interested in.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM

revolvers are more popular for hunting because of the power factor. 357 and 44 mag are more appropriate critter killers, but I'm like you I like auto's better so I haven't gotten a revolver yet.

I really like SA products and CS, you cannot go wrong with an SA. They are a solid product at a reasonable price. I have no expirence with para. I had a salesman try to sell me on a taurus once when I was looking at an SA. He said "check this one out...all the same features, now look at the price tag." I didn't sa it out load, but it felt $200 cheaper. Yes it does have all the popular features, but it leaves me with the impression that they are build just well enough to sell. Once they are out the door the differences start to show. Some people really like their taurus' but I've heard enough bad things about them to be totally uninterested in owning one.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 PM

CBOB Check these out for $775. I don't know what slight belmishes are but...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/977003560...CP_BOBTAIL.htm
Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger, so to speak.

After getting to shoot a SA mil spec and an M&P .45 at the range (some random people offered to let me shoot them since I was looking at those pistols), I decided to get the SA loaded parkerized at the local shop. Now its on layaway waiting for me to get information for an FFL in Oklahoma so I can pick it up when I go home for turkey season.

Thanks for the helpful info.