Interesting 1911 transition training observation - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 12:32 PM

jedi391 - thanks for expanding on those transitioning to the 1911 in your org. It sounded originally like everyone was going over. In the sheriffs dept
in my county, they switched from Glocks to 1911s a couple of years ago, no
choice the Sheriff decided. The city cops use the G17 no other option as well, - college town of almost 30K, whereas the rest of the county is very small towns.

SOmetimes anit-gunners or just smarty pants get on a forum toss out an inflammatory topic and never post again and zealots on each side of some argument take threads off on tangents . FWIW doesn't seem the case, and if I missed your intro. welcome.

Randall
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM

I had an instructor tell me one time that he had a simple test to see if a certain 1911 would be reliable or not during one of his classes.
His test was shaking the gun and if it had a little bit of rattle then that meant the gun had loose tolerances and would probably shoot whatever ammo you loaded in it and not fail at the first sign of gunk in the gun.

Tighter tolerances means less reliability. This is the reason you see these competition shooters with thier $10,000 1911s cleaning them between each cycle on the course. A combat pistol needs to be loose in order to compensate for dirt, carbon, gunked up gun powder, and heat (which causes metal to expand) and can cause stoppages.

Now that being said, how many of those 1911s that had failures were in fact nice fancy custom rigs and how many of them were standard mil spec pistols with a few hundred rounds already through them?
I'm not trying to discredit the rangemaster in the OP's thread or diminish the quality of the S&W or Taurus, but there is a lack of information in the thread to form facts as to the reliability of the other 1911s.

I have a Springfield 1911A1 mil spec that has never failed to go boom even after several hundred rounds in a range session. Yes, it rattles when I shake it.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
" The American democracy will survive until the government realizes that it can bribe the population with it's own money" Alexis De Tocqueville.
I'm sorry to be off topic, but that is the most pertinent quote I have ever heard for the times we are in right now.

As for the OP, you are looking at a relatively small sample of 1911s. I wouldn't necessarily start painting with a broad brush based on what happened at the range...

YMMV.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Ammendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf_504 View Post
I had an instructor tell me one time that he had a simple test to see if a certain 1911 would be reliable or not during one of his classes.
His test was shaking the gun and if it had a little bit of rattle then that meant the gun had loose tolerances and would probably shoot whatever ammo you loaded in it and not fail at the first sign of gunk in the gun.

Tighter tolerances means less reliability. This is the reason you see these competition shooters with thier $10,000 1911s cleaning them between each cycle on the course. A combat pistol needs to be loose in order to compensate for dirt, carbon, gunked up gun powder, and heat (which causes metal to expand) and can cause stoppages.

Now that being said, how many of those 1911s that had failures were in fact nice fancy custom rigs and how many of them were standard mil spec pistols with a few hundred rounds already through them?
I'm not trying to discredit the rangemaster in the OP's thread or diminish the quality of the S&W or Taurus, but there is a lack of information in the thread to form facts as to the reliability of the other 1911s.

I have a Springfield 1911A1 mil spec that has never failed to go boom even after several hundred rounds in a range session. Yes, it rattles when I shake it.
I do own two Brazilian 1911s: a Taurus and a SA. When I am on the mood I use them as maracas.