TRP disappointment - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 PM

Since the OP stated he spent an hour smoothing burrs off almost every part inside the TRP has warranty may already be no good anymore so hopefully the local smith really knows the 1911.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 PM

just wanted to say i bought a brand new SA loaded model last weekend while i havent been able to shoot it yet, i did field strip it to inspect and clean it. there were no burrs or any other bad craftsmanship that i noticed. hopefully you just got the one lemon outta the bunch. im sure SA will make it right
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 PM

My TRP is a couple months old. I have yet to have a failure of any kind. Extremely accurate even tighter shooting groups than my Kimber Eclipse, and I thought that was an accurate 1911. I have been shooting 230gr ball target ammo and 230gr lead round nose hand loads.

Sorry to hear about your TRP experience.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Since the OP stated he spent an hour smoothing burrs off almost every part inside the TRP has warranty may already be no good anymore so hopefully the local smith really knows the 1911.
I think that if he explains what he was doing and had it noted why, they would not invalidate the warranty.

Last edited by DeltaKilo; 02-23-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:49 PM

There seems to be a lack of quality pattern with Springfield. For about 4 years I have wanted a Mil-Spec and I finally got one last week. Took it to the range and from the start it was shooting low. After a box of 100 230gr fmj it settled to 6" low. I love the gun I just think I have read of too many problems from S.A.. I would and will buy another Springfield in a heartbeat. I love the history and the products produced at S.A. I'm calling on Monday to get it taken care of.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
"coughtrollcough"
You get +1 post count. Awesome!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy45 View Post
I bought a used TRP that had the same FTE problem. The fit and finish was great on mine but I'd get lots of stovepipes.

I thought it was the extractor myself, at first, but after my smith started looking at it he said the way the breechface was machined the round was sitting too high and passing over the ejector. I should have the gun back Tuesday, he installed and fit an oversized ejector and said test fire went well.
i don't understand why SA uses substandard ejectors in their 1911s.
i'll have my smith install an extended ejector in my GI next week.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
i don't understand why SA uses substandard ejectors in their 1911s.
i'll have my smith install an extended ejector in my GI next week.
I don't understand it either, but if this fixes the problem I'll be extremely happy!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy45 View Post
I don't understand it either, but if this fixes the problem I'll be extremely happy!

all my other 1911s got factory extended ejectors and they all cycle and eject live rounds smoothly like hot knife through butter except my SA GI(fires and ejects normally otherwise but not when being hand cycled).

Last edited by zdragon52; 02-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM

In my trp it took about 1000rds to work out the ftf problems. Not another bobble in the next 800rds. The only other issue I have with my trp is the finish seems to be thin,wearing through on the grip safety.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM

Mine didn't have the rough burrs, etc but I did have lots of issues till it was fully broken in at approx 500 rounds. They are very tight from the factory and need lots of lube. Hopefully, yours will correct it's self. Another reason I won't buy a gun without breaking it down for inspection first.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrejon224 View Post
Mine didn't have the rough burrs, etc but I did have lots of issues till it was fully broken in at approx 500 rounds. They are very tight from the factory and need lots of lube. Hopefully, yours will correct it's self. Another reason I won't buy a gun without breaking it down for inspection first.
And stores allow you to do that to their guns? I know shops around here wouldn't let you disassemble a $1000+ gun with the possibility of damaging.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM

My TRP was purchased used but hardly. It has been flawless from the get go. Not a blemish or hair out of place. Accurate and reliable.
Good luck with your weapon. Maybe a trip back to Springfield is in order, they will make it right.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Joshua View Post
There seems to be a lack of quality pattern with Springfield. For about 4 years I have wanted a Mil-Spec and I finally got one last week. Took it to the range and from the start it was shooting low. After a box of 100 230gr fmj it settled to 6" low. I love the gun I just think I have read of too many problems from S.A.. I would and will buy another Springfield in a heartbeat. I love the history and the products produced at S.A. I'm calling on Monday to get it taken care of.
I agree with you about SA products. QA problems appear once in a while, but their customer service is top-notch. Do not, however, confuse Springfield Armory. Inc. (1974 - present) with the Springfield Armory of U.S. military armory fame (1794 - 1968). They are not the same! Springfield Armory, Inc. is using the name, but certainly does not share the history of the military landmark.

Last edited by SoTx; 02-23-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Im the owner that Dhaught spoke of when he started this thread. I was very disappointed when I opened my pistol and saw all the burrs. Even more so after shooting it and having all the problems. Well, the pistol went back to springfield and got it back several days later. EXCELLENT customer service. Brian Cotty at SA took care of my pistol. I shot 250 rds since Ive recieved it back and it functions as it should. The slide is super slick now!. This is what Brian did: refit slide to frame, deburred inside of slide, polished feed ramp, reamed barrel,tuned extractor,polished breech face, gauged breech, and repaired barrel hood. Im happy now. Im off to buy an EMP!

Im having several parts of my TRP DLC coated and Ill post pics when completed.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 AM

That's great! I haven't had to use SA CS yet - my two have been flawless out of the box. It is very encouraging that they will make things right. I hear nothing but good about their CS.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:49 PM

Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=Dhaught;2088450]Anyway my griping aside, have many others experienced this kind of product results from springfield lately? Is it common to have to get a brand new gun tuned up or did my friend just get a lemon?
I have been wanting to buy a 1911 myself for a while now but do you really need to spend 2500+ on a 1911 to get one that is set up right and ready to go out of the box or is this just something really rare with springfields?/QUOTE]

I have purchased five springfields during the last twelve months (2 of them TRPs) and they had zero defects. I have not used their customer service for that reason, although I've heard they will make their product right.

Last edited by wlhawk; 03-20-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 PM

[QUOTE=wlhawk;2128295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaught View Post
Anyway my griping aside, have many others experienced this kind of product results from springfield lately? Is it common to have to get a brand new gun tuned up or did my friend just get a lemon?
I believe it is quite common. Hard to say how much, but of the last two SA 1911's I've bought, both had issues that required service. In both cases, I paid to have additional custom work done while the guns were at the shop, and in the end, I came out of it very happy with the resulting pistols. Of course, it'd be nicer if they just ran out of the box. I think this is why a lot of folks are switching to different brands like the DW line, for instance, since they seem to have less issues when brand new.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Socal Gunne View Post
And stores allow you to do that to their guns? I know shops around here wouldn't let you disassemble a $1000+ gun with the possibility of damaging.

If they won't let the customer do it, then make them do it. I just bought a DW CBOB and made the strip it down for a full inspection before I purchased it. If they won't do that then I won't give them my business, simple as that.

I would list all of my Uber cool toys and mods here except... I lost em all in a boating accident last week... Or something.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM

My GI .45 refused to feed the last round of a magazine no matter what type of ammo or magazine. I thought it was a break in problem so I fired at least 600 rounds through it with no change in function. I would have to push the slide into battery with my thumb. I of course was rather bummed about this. Instead of letting my local gun smith look at it, and because he told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks before I got it back, I sent it back to SA for warranty work. They paid for next day air freight shipping and got the gun back to me in less than a week!! They polished the feed ramp, throated the barrel, and installed a new extractor. The cost: nothing, nada, zilch. The gun works like a champ now. Best thing I ever did was send it back. Thing is, my gun didn't cost 1500 clams either and I would expect that a gun costing that much would work flawlessly first time, everytime. I paid slightly over one third of that for mine though. I'm glad to hear you sent it back, SA is really good about standing behind their products.

Last edited by chucksolo69; 03-22-2009 at 08:16 PM.