Favorite 1911 defense load in 45acp? - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 10:23 AM

In reality your threat will probably not really notice any difference as long as you use a hgh quality JHP load and your bullet placement is good.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 AM

1911_Kid,
Don't take my word for it .
Test them yourself.
Shoot them in water.
Then shoot them through denim into water.
If you like them then use them.
I don't.

nunnya
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 AM

My top 3
  1. Golden Saber
  2. Gold Dot
  3. FMJ
Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Federal ammo has given me nothing but problems out of my 1911.

For some reason all the ammo I've tested doesn't want to fully eject from my weapon.

I prefer the Winchester Ranger ammo over anything. Of course I like the performance of the Remington GS as well.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Remington Golden Saber

Man, there are a lot out there who seem to like the Remington Golden Saber! Never really considered it because I usually only hear about Federal ammo or Corbon and the like.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:47 PM

The Remington Golden Saber is, for a reason that escapes me, the "Rodney Dangerfield" of premium HPs.
Plus: its rounded profile feeds in most pistols, it shows no flash (in 230 gr - some people have complained about the 185ers), it is the FBI's choice in .45, and it's generally available and reasonably priced.
Minus: it's not very accurate (unlike the XTP, for example, but that's fairly irrelevant for a defensive load), its jacket is known to separate, and it's not "The Latest". If the separation issue concerns you, you can either get the bonded version or read this: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=55457. That should put most fears to rest.
LEA's tend to pick rounds that perform better when going through barriers these days, such as Gold Dots or bonded Rangers, and that's why most people recommend them. Although real, I think the concern is overstated for civilian use. And again, GS comes in bonded version.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 AM

There are a few really good loads that I use and don't really have a preference for one over the other.
1. Win Ranger T 230gr (standard or +P)
2. Speer Gold Dot 230gr
3. Fed HST 230gr (standard or +P)
4. Fed Tactical Bonded 230gr +P

FWIW though, I don't feel under-gunned with a 45acp using any 230gr ammo, whether it be cheap FMJ or top-of-the-line HPs.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:33 PM

I like both the 230 Gold Dot and the Fed 230 HST, which ever I can find the best price on. I have read good reports on both and both feed perfect in my 1911 and 220 Carry.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11,43mm View Post
The Remington Golden Saber is, for a reason that escapes me, the "Rodney Dangerfield" of premium HPs.
Plus: its rounded profile feeds in most pistols, it shows no flash (in 230 gr - some people have complained about the 185ers), it is the FBI's choice in .45, and it's generally available and reasonably priced.
Minus: it's not very accurate (unlike the XTP, for example, but that's fairly irrelevant for a defensive load), its jacket is known to separate, and it's not "The Latest". If the separation issue concerns you, you can either get the bonded version or read this: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=55457. That should put most fears to rest.
LEA's tend to pick rounds that perform better when going through barriers these days, such as Gold Dots or bonded Rangers, and that's why most people recommend them. Although real, I think the concern is overstated for civilian use. And again, GS comes in bonded version.

One thing I have always been told about 1911s...

If you're having a problem with your current SD load, try the Remington Golden Sabers.

It seems many always recommend using this particular load for a 1911.

Like I said, I like it. It works well for me when I do use it.

As for core jacket seperation, think of it as 2 seperate projectiles going through the end user. I like to look at it like that.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 PM

I just read somewhere that the Golden Saber was the first HP to have the same profile as ball. Sure the tip is missing , but the ogive's angle is the same and that's why it feeds great. Apparently, all the newer generation HPs have been catching up and leveling the field (see Ranger Ts), but Remington showed the way with GS.
It is usually the round recommended for 1911s that have trouble with HPs.