My cleaning schedule... - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Technicalities ... ok, maybe ....... maybe not ...( depends on your perspective ) for the times....

But a 1911, in my opinion, like a Wilson Combat Protector model, 5" chambered in 9mm - is a perfect practice weapon for my primary carry weapon 5" Wilson Combat CQB. I can practice with ammo at about $ 9 a box retail vs $ 18 a box retail for .45 acp ( and I reload, so my reloads are better, more accurate, and cheaper than any cheap retail ammo).

Mr Browning might be offended a little / although I hope not .....but I choose to drive a luxury SUV instead of a Model T too ....and I'm not sure Mr Ford would be that offended... Its a different time ....( and a worthwhile discussion ). We both appreciate good 1911's ...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM

Indeed, times change. Im kind of a traditionalist in everything i do though.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM

Me too - and at 60 - I still know what I like in Shotguns, Handguns, Cars, Liquor and Women ...... ( and flat, no personality or ugly doesn't get much attention from me - in any category ...).

And remember - take good care of your guns - and your women ....
Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM

wow, now i feel bad. Havent cleaned mine in a couple of months, and now that i have some spare time, i'm sitting here reading the forum instead of cleaning it.

hmm... this is gonna keep me up at night, be back later. :P
Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog9 View Post
Me too - and at 60 - I still know what I like in Shotguns, Handguns, Cars, Liquor and Women ...... ( and flat, no personality or ugly doesn't get much attention from me - in any category ...).

And remember - take good care of your guns - and your women ....
Advice for the ages
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDedosRapidos View Post
Anyone else as anal as i am about cleaning or am i not trying hard enough
I clean every gun after 250 rounds and a complete disassembly after 1k.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Heh... must be new to firearms because once you start shooting a lot... you realize that shooting is way more fun then cleaning. I clean mine about every 500-1000 rounds (though my Caspian did go through 2500 rounds without cleaning and just oil) to each his own. Oh btw... mine gets detail stripped every 3000 rounds when I change springs.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 PM

Yeah, when I first started (five months ago) I babied everything. Now I still treat everything well, but I'm not nuts about it. I know they're all going to get dirty, get a scratch, or something else.
1911 lefties who don't use ambi-safeties - Member #1
Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM

I normally avoid any specific description of my gun cleaning habits because I know it's insane and don't need to hear it from someone else...
Let me just say that I understood right away what the OP meant by cleaning and re-cleaning. If you let visibly "clean" parts sit overnight with a film of oil on them once, then wipe them again, you'll understand too.
I'm only that anal with carry guns anymore, though. Range guns get a wipe down and lube, and only a field strip when I feel like it. Life's short.
And I don't confuse guns and girlfriends either at my age (probably twice SrDedosRapidos'). But I sure don't let women waste (too much of) my time either. Life has a way of teaching you to prioritize...
I just can't get sloppy with carry pieces.
But I do hate cleaning guns! What I enjoy is giving the finishing touches, not dealing with the grime. It just has to be done.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 PM

well im 6 months into it and i put 300-500 rounds through my 1911 a week alone. Ive pretty much neglected to shoot enything else since i got it I probably put 100 through my Sig 225 a week and shoot the wheelguns 2x a month...

usually shoot 2-3 times a week so i shoot more than some. I do enjoy shooting more than cleaning, but i just cant stand a dirty gun. Luckily enough i guess this kind of maintenance doesnt bother me.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11,43mm View Post
I normally avoid any specific description of my gun cleaning habits because I know it's insane and don't need to hear it from someone else...
Let me just say that I understood right away what the OP meant by cleaning and re-cleaning. If you let visibly "clean" parts sit overnight with a film of oil on them once, then wipe them again, you'll understand too.
I'm only that anal with carry guns anymore, though. Range guns get a wipe down and lube, and only a field strip when I feel like it. Life's short.
And I don't confuse guns and girlfriends either at my age (probably twice SrDedosRapidos'). But I sure don't let women waste (too much of) my time either. Life has a way of teaching you to prioritize...
I just can't get sloppy with carry pieces.
But I do hate cleaning guns! What I enjoy is giving the finishing touches, not dealing with the grime. It just has to be done.

SOMEONE THAT UNDERSTANDS ME!!!

CLP has a way of stripping ANY grime on ANYTHING when you let it sit. The initial whipe and brush down are pretty gross though. I dont clean range guns like that either...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM

I didn't read through this entire thread, but if someone hasn't already mentioned it, I'd be a little careful about how much CLP you put on it. While I use CLP and think it's a great product, too much oil will accumulate in places you can't easily get to and attract and hold dirt. Just my $.02
Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimloktt View Post
I didn't read through this entire thread, but if someone hasn't already mentioned it, I'd be a little careful about how much CLP you put on it. While I use CLP and think it's a great product, too much oil will accumulate in places you can't easily get to and attract and hold dirt. Just my $.02
I do try to be careful, but this post is more the response i was going for. I try to keep it away from the firing pin bushing and dont put too much on the cocking lug. And when i do apply it, i apply it thinly and add more as needed.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADC View Post
You are only 21....and have the time. That'll change.

Yep, No Sh$%......I clean my S/S stuff about 3 times year...My SKS when it starts to jam.But I do keep them well lubed with oil
My name is Jeff, I'am a brassoholic!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM

I clean within a day or two of any trip to the range, but I generally run a bore snake through the barrel before I leave the range. Field strip cleanings are very fast because I don't even disassemble the slide- just leave the FLGR in place and pull the slide stop. About every second or third cleaning is a detail strip that takes me a little over an hour. I'm trying to remind myself to ease up on the detail strip schedule, but I actually enjoy doing it. There's something relaxing about scraping crud from all the small nooks and crannies...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM

NOW I find out

I'm supposed to clean 'em AND change recoil springs?

Uh-oh, I'm about 5--10K each overdue....(don't anyone tell my guns, in case they decide to stop running....).

I have 5" 1911s in 9x19, 40 S&W, and two in 45 ACP (and they both get the 400 CorBon thrill every so often, too).
Please tell me that's okay (maybe check Colt's list of past/present chamberings, too?).

I don't wash my car, either, but I religiously change its oil every 5--8K, mostly.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 AM

I do three day camp trips several times a year, so I strip and clean thoroughly when I get home. Will do a partial during the trip if things get too dusty. My only safe queens are collectables, and I go over them twice a year just because I like it.

Leo
Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDedosRapidos View Post
yes... i spend $40 a month on CLP...
Good Lord!

An old white sock torn into patch size pieces, a drop or two of CLP (The barrel gets a full squirt!), some toothpicks, some QTips, and papertowels, a boresnake, a chamber brush...

I suspect my 16 ounce aerosol sized can of BreakFree CLP will last me many years at least!