Taurus PT1911 on the way! (Suggestions?) - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Taurus PT1911 on the way! (Suggestions?)

I just ordered my first Taurus product and low & behold, it's their PT1911.

I decided to take the more combat route and got a 1911 with fixed/tactical sites, yet didn't want to fork out a bunch of money on it because I want do some customization to it.

Things I plan on doing/adding/modifying:
1. Trigger job
2. Change recoil spring
3. Change guide rod

I wanted to ask for some advice on what (specific) brands/make parts I should get for these modifications. So...?
Oh, and if you have any other recommendations/suggestions on parts to modify, please do add your two cents!

P.S. - I also plan on duracoating the frame OD green and the slide matte black. (I'll be doing that myself.)
Old 12-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

I think there is a surtain in crowd you must be in to get answers here
I have never seen a gun forum like this
Old 12-24-2008, 01:12 AM

Just that everyone is doing their Christmas and Holiday thing rather than hanging out on the forum.

Congratulations on getting your new Taurus 1911 - great pistol. I am sure you will like it.

As for the mods, I understand that any modifications to the pistol will void the warranty and I mean ANY MODS!

The Taurus Trigger is pretty good out of the box. I recoil spring is set at 16# - not sure why you would want to change it! Getting rid of the FLGR is good - but keep the orginal part.

I would suggest - shoot it 500 + rounds before you decide to do anything to it - it will perform well out of the box.
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
COTEP Member; CBOB0695
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 06:11 AM

I just ordered a nighthawk one piece guide rod and a 17.5lbs progressive recoil spring. I'll let ya know how they work. Also I would get you some new mags. I went with chip McCormick and I love them. MUCH better than the old mags. Feed much more consistantly.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniLink2k2 View Post

I decided to take the more combat route and got a 1911 with fixed/tactical sites, yet didn't want to fork out a bunch of money on it because I want do some customization to it.

1. Trigger job
2. Change recoil spring
3. Change guide rod

I wanted to ask for some advice on what (specific) brands/make parts I should get for these modifications. So...?
Oh, and if you have any other recommendations/suggestions on parts to modify, please do add your two cents!

P.S. - I also plan on duracoating the frame OD green and the slide matte black. (I'll be doing that myself.)
from what i hear on the taurus forum ed brown makes great stuff for the PT1911's
Old 12-25-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:

1. Trigger job
2. Change recoil spring
3. Change guide rod

I've had mine a little over 4 month's and the only thing that i've done is upgrade to some CMC mags and some of wilson's "SHOK-BUFF'S" to keep the metal to metal contact to a minimum. as far as replacing the one peice guide rod i don't know why you would change that?? The gun has a very nice trigger straight outta the box. i also have a thread to see how light of a spring you can use safely on the gun.That's just my preference. Its a good gun right outta the box!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Shoot the heck outta it. Happy New Year! Ed Brown parts. I agree, shoot at least 300-500 thru it b 4 you change anything. Save the factory parts, you'll have to re-install them if you have any issues. You prob won't.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:41 PM

The very first thing you want to do if you havent already is to SEND IN THE $75 REBATE FORM! You can get the form on Taurus site or at Bobs Gun Shop site. You may already know this but if not you do now
Old 12-26-2008, 01:01 AM

Hey, welcome to the forum, its Christmas so there are fewer(<--- still some harcore out here)lurkers of the board.
I was dead set on goint with all sorts of stuff when I bout my box stock plianjane RIA 45. I an cirtain now that all of the money that I was about to pour into it is not nessesary. It shoots VERY well, has an excellent trigger and I hear the tauraus is ver much the same way. thats a goooood thing.

Im not sure wha my trigger is factory, but its one of the lightest triggers I have ever seen on a stock trigger, and the creeps the only draw back/ but even still it isnt bad at all.
My only gripe so far is that now I want some finer sights, because its so damn accurate with these rough plain sights, if there were some finer more attention grabbing sights it'd be PERFECT!. I dont even think I need to go to expensive sights either, mabey a set of nightsighters to make dots with. but I havent got a gripe yet about it, and my stepdad was lookin to sell the Kimber double stack and get a real NICE RIA! H has a Tauraus single that I havent used but once but I was impressed with it. Very good looking gun at least, It never fouled up on any one yet, yet the kimber jams reliably, unless you feed it hot loads. Im not dissing Kimber but for the money nothing beats a taurus or RIA, Im just blown away from the performance of these guns while NO they arent the best looking, there like hookers, Kinda nasty lookin, but they get the job done better than the overpriced limo services.( this is a service public announcement, I AM JOKING.....about the hookers at least)

Anyway, run a few hunderd down range before even tinkerin. You may be in for a nic e supprise/
Old 12-26-2008, 08:36 AM

I've had my PT 1911 about a month now and have 300 rounds or so down range, most of them hand loads.

I plan on running a thousand or so before I do anything to the pistol. I'd love to change to adjustable sights but haven't found a manufacture. The trigger breaks clean but is a tad heavier than I prefer so maybe I'll tweak the trigger just a bit..

Honestly, I don't think the pistol needs much in the way of improvements.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 AM

I bought a new PT1911 several weeks ago, was all excited, etc., etc. When I got home and completely disassembled the pistol for cleaning, I noticed that the ejector was loose on the frame and had made small gouges on the bottom of the slide from handling and test firing at the factory. Would have eventually probably broken off and/or caused more damage. I had inspected the pistol at the shop, the basics for the disconnector, sear, safety, trigger, etc., just didn't take it all apart. Now wish that I had. I sent it to Taurus the very next day, letter from Taurus about a week later says to expect it back in four to six weeks. Bummer. I do like the finish, fit in my hand, etc. and am looking forward to shooting it.

I'll second the advice about any mods voiding the warranty. This pistol will remain stock for me. Just inspect it thoroughly before shooting it.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:

1. Trigger job
2. Change recoil spring
3. Change guide rod

Replace the entire gun with a quality product and you should be OK.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn mccarver View Post
Replace the entire gun with a quality product and you should be OK.
And you shoot what exactly?

I have 1,000+ rounds through mine in 2 months and she has been beautiful down to the heine sights.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:40 PM

I have had good luck with Taurus guns. The two revolvers and a PT92 that I had were well made. I have considered getting a PT1911, as they claim all sorts of "upgrades" in their basic model. Forged steel is good. I think it is a good product.

I would shoot it for a while before deciding what to add to it... you might not need to do/add/modify anything!

-Chuck
Old 12-28-2008, 04:08 PM

taurus on the way

Shoot it first and you may not want to change a thing. I love mine the way it is. Try www.Taurusarmed.net for lots of info on Taurus of all kinds.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM

Buy ammo, load ammo....shoot lots of ammo....repeat often...

Soldier & Infantryman (ODS, OIF I/II & IV/V)
NRA Benefactor Life Member and GOA Life Member
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 AM

Thank you all for the advice.
I guess I'm just jumping ahead of myself.
This is the first 1911 that I can call my own, so I'm kinda excited about all the options that are now available to me.

I'm going to wait a while before changing any parts to allow myself to reconsider the need for changes.

Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for the advice.
I guess I'm just jumping ahead of myself.
This is the first 1911 that I can call my own, so I'm kinda excited about all the options that are now available to me.

I'm going to wait a while before changing any parts to allow myself to reconsider the need for changes.

Thanks again.
i'm leaving my virtually stock. i have a pair of Pearce rubber grips on the way. i will not trim the safety, i will trim the grip. sometimes, it's a good idea to leave things the way they are.

i had a pistol that i started "trickin out". eventually, it was significantly mod'd out. a buddy bought the exact same pistol. his was still stock. when he showed me his, for some reason, i just thought "wow, what a nice pistol, i used to have one of these"
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunwil View Post
i had a pistol that i started "trickin out". eventually, it was significantly mod'd out. a buddy bought the exact same pistol. his was still stock. when he showed me his, for some reason, i just thought "wow, what a nice pistol, i used to have one of these"
Hah, I hear you. And I understand your point.
But next (and soon) I will be getting a Kimber Covert... Which is basically the tactical pistol I was aiming to get in the first place.

This way, I will have my tricked out Taurus, and my nice tactical 1911 with the color/specs I want.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM

As you said, this is your first 1911. Shoot it alot, I mean at least 1k rounds before changing anything. Don't change just to change. The biggest mistake shooters new to the 1911 make is to take a gun that runs and start adding, modding, changing things until it doesn't. Then they blame the gun.

I've been shooting 1911's since about 1958. I only do things that enhance the reliability and accuracy of that particular weapon. Most of my weapons are stock or left as I bought them. I will change to GI guide rods usually if the gun allows it, but that is just a personal preference. Some of my guns have had trigger jobs by Novak and others, and some I have dropped in kits for Cylinder and Slide but most have the stock trigger job in them.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:

1. Trigger job
2. Change recoil spring
3. Change guide rod

edbrown.com bought them nd they shipped in 2 days. (see sig) GREAT quality and even my smith was happy that i bought ed brown parts
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 AM

keep your fingers crossed.. mine has been a problem from day one..
the slide keeps locking back prematurely(even if I lock my thumbs together)!
also, the hammer falls to half cock when dropping the mag release lever on a full mag(happened once only).
I've put about 250 rds. thru it.. right now I can trust it's reliability for daily carry.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
right now I can trust it's reliability for daily carry.
You can or you can't?
A big differance.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcuda View Post
You can or you can't?
A big differance.
can't, too many issues
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makarov9 View Post
can't, too many issues
This is the first case I've heard of problems with the Taurus PT1911...

Anyone else that's just a bad seed in a bundle of good ones???