Third 1911 first Taurus - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-06-2008, 09:00 AM

Third 1911 first Taurus

I bought my first Taurus PT1911 AR the other day. I haven't fired it yet but it feels so much better than the SA Loaded that I sold last year. The slide is as smooth as butter. The trigger so light. The SA didn't have as many features and cost alot more. Maybe I'll get out and shoot some today. Maybe not. It's 23 degrees here.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Hg4life

I think that you will be a mighty happy camper. I bought a SS a couple of weeks ago. Only have ran 48 rounds through it and it functioned like a Singer sewing machine. Have a set of grips on order from MidwayUSA to "dress it up" a little........

Happy Shootin'
Old 12-06-2008, 01:42 PM

The stock mags aren't the best. Get some Chip McCormic mags and it will shoot every time with any type of ammo you'd like. I also put some Hogue grips on mine and it's my carry piece. You can't beat the weapon for the money.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 03:16 PM

I just put 50 rounds through it. It performed flawlessly. Looks like it may be shooting low left if anything. I like it though. I'll try to get some pics up in the picture thread later.

I looked at a Chip McCormick mag but decide to wait and see how the factory mags do. They are fine so far.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_mwroseberr View Post
The stock mags aren't the best. Get some Chip McCormic mags and it will shoot every time with any type of ammo you'd like. I also put some Hogue grips on mine and it's my carry piece. You can't beat the weapon for the money.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.
+1 My stock mags were crap, but if yours are working well, more power to you! I added Sarge grips to my Taurus 1911, see the Taurus picture thread for mine. Sarge owns a Taurus PT1911 so he make grips specifically for the Taurus. (Which are a bit different that normal 1911s) I felt the plastic grips that came with my Taurus were very lacking in character. I really feel grips add more to a 1911.

Last edited by Jai9100; 12-06-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Spelling nazi :{
Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Your gonna love it, it's a great piece of equipment. I have about 600 rounds thru mine without one failure.

Make sure your guide rod is tightened up... After putting about 100 rounds thru mine the guide rod loosens up a tad and mine will start shooting a little low left as well (wait till it cools a bit tho, it gets HOT)
Old 12-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Ditto on the mags. Wilson 47 or McCormick power mags, not the shooting star mags. The power mags have a more powerful spring and are more reliable.

Also, amazingly enough, Mec-Gar 7rnd blue mags with the all steel enclosed follower are VERY reliable.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM

While I do realize that most of the FTE and FTF problems are usually the mags fault, I can't help but wonder how many of those problems are operator error. I'm not saying that any of you don't know what you are doing. Please don't think that. But you all know that there are some people out there that screw up anything. And I'm not yet convinced that handguns are completely idiot-proof.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG4LIFE View Post
While I do realize that most of the FTE and FTF problems are usually the mags fault, I can't help but wonder how many of those problems are operator error. I'm not saying that any of you don't know what you are doing. Please don't think that. But you all know that there are some people out there that screw up anything. And I'm not yet convinced that handguns are completely idiot-proof.

LMAO!!! Idiot Proof?!?! PLEASE!!

You hear of Plaxico Burress?!?!

LMAO watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA
Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 AM

Like I said, they're not idiot proof.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 AM

Iíve shot aprox 3500 rounds through mine and wouldnít hesitate to buy another even though I experienced the fairly common thumb safety failure the other day. I havenít had any issues with the factory mags but ordered a couple of Wilson Combat mags when I ordered the new safety.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG4LIFE View Post
+1

A very excellent point. The 1911 in particular, if you don't have a very firm grip on it, can cause a FTF, even in the most tolerant of 1911's. Hold the gun like you'd hold onto your wife. Ummm, lol, no wisecracks on that one LOL
Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM

I bought the blued one with night-sights. It is awesome. I only have 300 or so through it at this point but it has been a champ. If we had carry laws in IL I would carry it for sure. My stock mag worked fine, but I have not used it extensively. I bought some Chip mags and love them.

All in all, you should be happy with it. It is a phenomenal value in my judgment.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:29 PM

I hit the range this morning and took my G17, M9A1, and Taurus 1911. I put 350 rounds through each and had no issues with any of them. For the Taurus, I used those Mec-Gar magazines I'd just gotten in from CDNN, the 7 rounders with the all metal enclosed follower and they worked like a dream. My only regret is that they no longer have anymore for sale, I got mine on one of their weekend sales for 9.99 and I think I saw the same ones at the show last week for 19.99.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
LMAO!!! Idiot Proof?!?! PLEASE!!

You hear of Plaxico Burress?!?!

LMAO watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA
Great video!

"Show me something idiot-proof and I'll show you something only an idiot would want"