slide won't stay open after last round - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 PM

slide won't stay open after last round

Tried to do a search and didn't have much lcuk. Probably because I'm new and missing form of the acronyms. Please bear with me.

Shot my SA 1911 Loaded this afternoon. I only shot it with 3 round in the mag at a time. Just going for grip placement and trigger feel. About 75% of the time, the slide went forward after the last round. I'd have to reload the mag and rack the slide.

Why did it do this? When my XD did it, it was due to my hand placement. I was hitting the slide release. changed grip and I was fine. This didn't work on the 1911.
Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 PM

Quickest fix is try some different magazines. If that solves your problem then the magazine follower was bad. If not then the slide stop needs to be replaced because the part that is suppose to catch the magazine follower is too short. If that fails then your magazine catch is too low and does not allow the magazine follower to push up on the slide stop.

When troubleshooting try replacing one part at a time. If your modifying and start having trouble then undo one thing at a time. Either way changing 3 or 4 things all at once makes it hard to find the problem.

If your next question is what magazine to buy there are several posts on that. Everyone has an opinion.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM

most likely you need a new slide stop...what kind of magazines did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 10:03 PM

Wilson 8 round magazine. I wish I had taken one or two of the other ones. For some dumb reason, I only brought one magazine...never again!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Test To Do At Home.

First, MAKE SURE YOUR 1911 IS NOT LOADED.

Then insert and EMPTY mag into the mag well. pull the slide back and see if it locks back. Try this with all your magazines.

If it doesn't lock back on any of your mags then it is your slide stop. If it does it with only certain mags, then the followers and or springs need replacing. If the mags are new, you can call the company, and get the new parts free of charge as they are covered under warranty.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Armory View Post
First, MAKE SURE YOUR 1911 IS NOT LOADED.

Then insert and EMPTY mag into the mag well. pull the slide back and see if it locks back. Try this with all your magazines.

If it doesn't lock back on any of your mags then it is your slide stop. If it does it with only certain mags, then the followers and or springs need replacing. If the mags are new, you can call the company, and get the new parts free of charge as they are covered under warranty.
Well, I tried it. It locks back on all three mags! I dunno. I think I will order a 9 round SA MetalForm next week. Or maybe one of those new Wilson 10 round mags. Only thing is, all three of my mags are Wilson 8 rounders.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 PM

most likely caused by a weak mag spring.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 PM

I have the same problem. I have much better magazines that lock back my Taurus 1911, rather than the crappy Taurus 1911 mags, but when the gun become dirty, none of the mags will make the slide lock back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmasher View Post
Well, I tried it. It locks back on all three mags! I dunno. I think I will order a 9 round SA MetalForm next week. Or maybe one of those new Wilson 10 round mags. Only thing is, all three of my mags are Wilson 8 rounders.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:35 PM

Fix

I had a customer bring a 1911 into my shop today with the same problem. The slide would not lock back on 5 of his 12 magazines. I tried a Wolff extra power mag spring in his mags and viola, the slide locked back. So you probably need a stronger spring. One of the mags it would not lock back on was the new Wilson Combat 8 round tactical mag.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM

This could be caused by several things. It could be that your follower on the wilson mag is worn out, as wilson mags are prone to do since they are plastic, thus it is not making contact with the nose of the slide stop.

Could be that the nose of the slide stop is too short.

Could be that the slide stop is misfit and dragging on the interior of the slide.

Could be that you were indeed, as you implied, holding your thumb on the slide stop during firing.

These are just a couple of things. Not likely that the mag spring is too weak...this is a common misnomer.

Hope this helps.
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 PM

Ah thanks for the suggestions, but the gun was pretty much new, not even a month old. Same for the mags, and Wilson purposely puts in a lighter mag spring for their new tac style 8 round mags.

Slide stop was within specs when measured with digital calipers and mic. Sorry but it was a weak mag spring.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 AM

Good to know that about the new Wilson mags...glad they finally figured out that stronger is not better.
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"
Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
most likely caused by a weak mag spring.
simplest and cheapest to investigate...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Solution

I know, I know, I'm bringing up an ancient thread. Hear me out though, I've found a solution to this problem.

I had the same issue with a brand new STI Spartan.

Symptoms:
- With factory mags, the gun worked perfectly.
- With GI spec mags, the slide refused to stay back on the last shot.
- All magazines hold the slide back when racked manually.
- Failures only happen when using live ammo.
- Had one instance of the slide staying back mid-magazine with a live round sitting on top of the follower
- I eliminated the problem of touching the slide stop with my thumb during testing, but it still didn't stay back.
- After replacing the split follower on the GI mags with a folded follower (no more wobble side to side), reliability went from 0% to over 90% but still had one failure
- The folded follower's lower portion is much higher than the lower leg on the split follower

The folded followers really helped, but didn't solve the problem. As it turned out, the problem was that the slide stop was too short. I replaced it with a standard slide stop from another 1911, which fixed the problem.

Solution: Check the length of your slide stop and replace if needed.

I hope this helps for anyone who is having the same problem I had.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Either the slide stop is a little short or the magazines need more cowbell.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 AM

I have the same issue with 8rd Wilson combat mags but the 7 rd Wilson combat mags that came with the gun works perfectly. So sounds like weak spring issue?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Due deference to all the advice...

...you've been given thus far but you might consider hand placement is still the culprit.

Have you tried shooting with a one handed grip?

Had the same problem with my Wilson. Chased the problem, new springs, followers, nothing worked and the problem was intermittent and not attributable to any particular magazines.

Did a box of ammo with one handed grip all 8 of my magazines, presto no problems. My support is intermittently riding the slide release.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Or, you could start a new thread, not one from 2010? Mods, please close.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmasher View Post
Tried to do a search and didn't have much lcuk. Probably because I'm new and missing form of the acronyms. Please bear with me.

Shot my SA 1911 Loaded this afternoon. I only shot it with 3 round in the mag at a time. Just going for grip placement and trigger feel. About 75% of the time, the slide went forward after the last round. I'd have to reload the mag and rack the slide.

Why did it do this? When my XD did it, it was due to my hand placement. I was hitting the slide release. changed grip and I was fine. This didn't work on the 1911.
Thoughts?
Usually, if someone's hand is contacting the slide release while shooting and not being aware of it, it will lock back prematurely rather than prevent the slide from locking back. I can't add to any of the suggestions already given above.

I think what would be good for you to do is to take an even closer look. I assume you know that the magazine follower (when empty) is responsible to push up the slide release lever. Remove the slide from the frame like when you're cleaning and just put back the slide release only. Then, slide in an empty magazine and look closely at how the magazine's follower comes in contact with the slide release, or not. See how close it is, how barely touching it can be. There's not a lot of contact there to begin with when it is working. You just want to see this for yourself so you can make your own judgement how to solve it. Personally, I prefer all steel followers and that would be a good place to start since you would probably want to by more anyway.

Just a question: You're not by any chance using a shock buff, are you? In some 1911's, they can cause lock back problems due to the slide not fully coming back.
Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, 7.5"
NRA Member

Last edited by RUSS123; 02-25-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:09 PM

Try this: Shoot the gun to empty using your right hand only. Try it with every magazine.
You only need a few rounds in each mag. This simple test will determine whether your left hand is interfering with the slide stop. Do this before spending any money on mags, mag springs, slide stops, etc.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m/v MOJO View Post
Try this: Shoot the gun to empty using your right hand only. Try it with every magazine.
You only need a few rounds in each mag. This simple test will determine whether your left hand is interfering with the slide stop. Do this before spending any money on mags, mag springs, slide stops, etc.
Do you realize this post originated nearly 10 years ago?

I didn't. I'll have pay more attention to the dates on these posts.
Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, 7.5"
NRA Member