taurus 1911 problems - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 07:16 PM

taurus 1911 problems

so i was out shooting my new pt1911ALR... haven't shot this one before now. did have a great working blued one b4 this.

problems:
1.) the safety would kick up just enough from recoil that the gun would not fire
2.) the gun would not push the bullets all the way into the chamber during regular firing and you would have to manually push the slide forward
3.) after charging the slide, once in a while, the trigger would either, not operate or only drop the hammer to half cock.

Very odd, i did not have it apart and sent it in immediately through my gun shop. hopefully they just replace the gun, i dont want that dud back.

hope its not gone too long...

chris
Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM

That sucks. You should have kept the one that worked.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilc1511 View Post
so i was out shooting my new pt1911ALR... haven't shot this one before now. did have a great working blued one b4 this.

problems:
1.) the safety would kick up just enough from recoil that the gun would not fire
2.) the gun would not push the bullets all the way into the chamber during regular firing and you would have to manually push the slide forward
3.) after charging the slide, once in a while, the trigger would either, not operate or only drop the hammer to half cock.

Very odd, i did not have it apart and sent it in immediately through my gun shop. hopefully they just replace the gun, i dont want that dud back.

chris
The only problem I had with my 1911B was #2 and I found the source of the problem. It was Taurus's crappy mags that came with the gun. To say again, the mags that came with the gun were defective! Now, I've replaced them with Chip McCormik mags and I have a perfect working Taurus 1911, but because of this problem (and because I had to deal with this problem) I'll probably never buy a Taurus again.

Your problem seemed much more involved, and I've heard that Taurus will replace most guns that have mass failures with totally different guns. I hope you get something that works. How was your customer service experience? Mine wasn't too good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 PM

sounds like another mag issue. call up taurus and ask also what type of ammo u usin?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedevil32 View Post
sounds like another mag issue. call up taurus and ask also what type of ammo u usin?

His issues sound quite a bit more complicated than simply just mags.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:42 AM

could be anything take it to a local smith before u send it off the taurus see if he can check it out.My alr functions perfectly. Taurus actually put more time into their ALRs than the rest. My fit and finish on all of my parts is great
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM396 View Post
His issues sound quite a bit more complicated than simply just mags.

OK dude, just tell us all how ****ty Taurus is and leave the thread alone.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 AM

Your safety problem. I found that since I don't ride the thumb safety that the reason the safety was engaging was that my thumb would actually be slightly engaging the safety during shooting if my grip wasn't tight. I replaced it with a small combat style safety and never had the problem again. Not saying yours is the exact same problem but it's a thought,
The Mags that came with my pt1911 suck. One has actuall failed. It opened up at the top and tore a little. It cause the same problem you describe and I didn't see it without close inspection. The other only holds 7rds instead of 8 and will not lock the slide back on empty. Toss the Taurus mags. They are junk.
The trigger thing does actually sound like a defect. Hope you get it resolved quickly. Let us know would you?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 AM

This actually seems to be a compendium of problems.

First, strip and clean the gun. DO NOT believe that the shop did a good job, unless you watched them. Clean the mags as well. Taurus, like CZ, ships their guns with the equivalent of 140 weight gear oil through-out them. It MUST be completely removed prior to shooting.

Watch your grip. As mentioned, it's possible that you're hand is positioned to partially engage the safety as you shoot.

The feed problem that you mentioned could be affected by the cleanliness, as well as by a light-grip.

#3 could also be the result of the gun not being completely in battery.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Hmmmm, this sounds vaguely familiar.

Quote:
The last couple of times I've shot this thing, it has given me an odd and annoying problem: every little bit, the trigger will lock out - no pull, no movement.
The first time it did it I checked my magazine seating, my thumb safety, my hammer for drop, etc...
After this it would fire.
The second time, all I would do is lightly tap up on the magazine. Voila... gun go bang.
Springfiled 1911. Advice was:

Quote:
Sounds like a "too high hand hold" and the grip safety isn't being completely depressed. Next time you shoot take a big rubber band and temporarily wrap the grip safety down and shoot a few mags to see if the prob goes away. The "tap" could have jarred your grip enough to depress the safety and cleared the trigger block tab.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flockmaster View Post
No, that wasn't my point. I was just saying that "mags" aren't the total solution to the problems described. I'm also giving him the benefit of the doubt on the holding it correctly, and cleaning corrections since he states he had a Taurus with no problems. You'd think an improper hold would have exposed some problems previously.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Perhaps, but perhaps not. There's enough difference in two of any manufacturers guns that it could happen.

Lets see what happens when the gun and mag are truly clean, and attention is paid to the grip. Perhaps using a Wilson 47D mag?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:25 PM

its not the mags,

i have 2 8rd cobra mags and 2 10 rd cobra mags, same problem with those... and all the mags were clean.

i was at bill's gun shop and range, had one of the guys look at it for me and shoot it, it did the same to him... i tried a lower grip as did he, it was both very uncomfortable and not solving any issues...

he seemed to think it was a feed ramp problem...

all i know is it sucks... still love that gun, but this inconvenience sucks. odd issues and nothing a simple "cleaning" would have fixed. thats why the employee at bills just said to send it back.

i wish it had been that simple!

thanks anyway guys.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM

I had much the same thing happening with my PT1911. It would go away after a thorough cleaning, but kept coming back. Not a real big deal on a range gun, but it did not instill confidence. I sold mine and got a(nother) Colt Gunsite Pistol. They work.

Regards,
Andy
Old 11-02-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
its not the mags,

i have 2 8rd cobra mags and 2 10 rd cobra mags, same problem with those... and all the mags were clean.

i was at bill's gun shop and range, had one of the guys look at it for me and shoot it, it did the same to him... i tried a lower grip as did he, it was both very uncomfortable and not solving any issues...

he seemed to think it was a feed ramp problem...

all i know is it sucks... still love that gun, but this inconvenience sucks. odd issues and nothing a simple "cleaning" would have fixed. thats why the employee at bills just said to send it back.

i wish it had been that simple!

thanks anyway guys.
So are you sending it to Taurus? If so would you mind cataloging your experience with CS for us? We hear about iffy CS from time to time and it would be nice to have some more first hand stories.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM

I use Wilson in both my Taurus and S&W.Did have an issue with Taurus mags.Wilson solved it.
My carry is the 1911S&W PD commander
Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:

problems:

chris
Quote:
So are you sending it to Taurus? If so would you mind cataloging your experience with CS for us? We hear about iffy CS from time to time and it would be nice to have some more first hand stories.

Thanks

yep i sent it in, hopefully my gun shop will do all of the dealings with them. they weren't all that helpful when i called about the heine sights i wanted though...
Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 AM

For the OP, I had the same problem #3- hammer follow, occur after a slidelock reload or during firing. Sold that pistol, it had other problems.

Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect.
-J. G. Hale
Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Edited for foul language. Please refrain from that.

Last edited by LW McVay; 11-27-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 AM

I hear rumors of a collegiate shooting team having problems with their Taurus' Just rumors. I can't confirm until I see them in person.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM

I just bought one of these and it shoots great but i think i have a mag prob.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:

problems:

chris
I had all three problems with my PT1911SS culminating with a part falling out of the receiver when I tried to cycle it by hand after my 33rd round.

It went back to Taurus along with the part and one of the magazines that wouldn't fit more than 4 rounds nor feed more than 2 of them.

5 weeks later it came back with "new" safety levers and no explanation. The lefthand safety (right side) would not move when pressed but perfectly followed the righthand safety that did work ???? Back it went for another 8 weeks.

After the first 4 weeks waiting for this repair, my gun dealer called Taurus and insisted they send me a new gun. They refused. His call probably inspired them to put my work order at the bottom of the pile because it took another 4 weeks to return it.

Both safeties are now working and I have put 100 rounds through it only to find accuracy is horrible and the repaired magazine which looked like new when returned now appears to be ripped across the top. It looks to me like there is some damage inside the barrel perhaps from a part that didn't fall out the receiver but went out the barrel.

I'm not hopeful I'll ever have a sound gun. This has not been a fun experience.

Last edited by dnafis; 12-01-2008 at 12:59 PM.