"Terrorist Day" at the Range..... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 AM

"Terrorist Day" at the Range.....

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of doing a few hours of shooting with an ex-military / ex-contractor close quarter combat handgun instructor who was visiting a local shooting buddy while back in the states for a short time. He currently works security and personal protection, out of country. His personal weapon of choice is a nicely modded Wilson CQB (got to love it) and yes.......he can shoot very quickly and damn well. Just one very fine gentlemen, and a great teacher, as he works with your skill set, physical circumstances, age, eyes, etc., while pushing you to do better.

On Sunday I grabbed a couple of the "terrorist" type targets at our local range and went back over some of what was shared on Saturday.....although I was still a touch worn out from the rounds put down range the day before. Being in the range this was static shooting (unlike some of the day before which was outside) at anywhere from a few inches past the end of the barrel to roughly 12 yards out with one shot fired at 15 yards. I used one of my two favorite SD/HD training weapons, my very well used (and never failed me yet) Springer 1911 combat sighted 9mm. The grips were switched out from the usual stag ones (range use) to the checkered ones I use when doing more serious training/shooting.

The first target was a standup BG. The intent to place the first round in the optic window formed by his open scarf and then follow that round with two more into the area exposed below his extented left arm arm and his weapon. Firing was done using a modified Weaver stance starting from a semi-close ready....gun extended slightly out from the body just below eye sight. For the first round, my eyes were locked onto the POI area and the weapon was then brought up into firing position without the eyes ever leaving that intended POI area. Two follow up shots were then fired into the chest. Although speed was a goal, placement was the primary focus of the shooting, particularly the placement of that first round. As shared Saturday, move as fast as you can while still keeping control of the rounds on target. It was stressed that well placed rounds had a better chance of ending the fight quickly. The shooting started with the target about a foot past my barrel end....arms extended. I then moved the target out in stages. First to 3 yards, then 7 yards, 10 yards and finally 12 yards out.

The 2nd target was a hostage situation scenaraio. In some scenarios two shooters would fire simutaneously, one on each of the BG's, or one shooter would try to take out both. I fired this target as a one terrorist-one hostage scenario taking the guy on the left, then starting over and taking out the guy on the right. I did three three final shots at the "hostage" who I mentally turned into a third terrorist to finish up my days shooting. This scenario was fired with the weapon already sighted on the target (simply a decision made as to when to fire) with the first round going into the optic window and then three (or four) follow up rounds into the chest. The shooting was done at 12 yards out on the two guys as well as the first two rounds on the girl. The third round on the girl (top round left eye facing you) was fired at 15 yards out. By the looks of it the round would have hit the bone above the eye instead of going into the eye socket like the first round at 12 yards. It would have hurt though.

All in all, one fine weekend with the Springer proving it's worth again, as a solid shooter.

PS......a nice side light to the Sunday shoot was that in the lane to my right a guy was there with his girlfriend (a first time shooter). She absolutely loved shooting his Glock .40 cal (her first handgun experience) and she was darn good to boot.

Be safe, shoot well.

Last edited by mitrod3; 09-17-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 AM

just because the cute blonde didnt go out with ya mitrod u didnt have to shoot her !! lol
Old 09-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick101 View Post
just because the cute blonde didnt go out with ya mitrod u didnt have to shoot her !! lol
Yo mav........that cute blond was crouched down behind a sofa about to come up with a shot gun ..........darn it all. Some blonds just ain't what they appear to be, in more ways than one.

Edit, for the record. I have seen my wife shoot. Yo momma, she is good.....with a snubby no less. Ain't no way I would be going out with that blond or any other ,......more than once that is.

Good shooting to you.

Last edited by mitrod3; 09-18-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM

hahaha. good one Maverick.

Nice shooting Mitrod!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrod3 View Post
Yo mav........that cute blond was crouched down behind a sofa about to come up with a shot gun ..........darn it all. Some blonds just ain't what they appear to be, in more ways than one.

Edit, for the record. I have seen my wife shoot. Yo momma, she is good.....with a snubby no less. Ain't no way I would be going out with that blond or any other ,......more than once that is.

Good shooting to you.
thats some good shooting and speaking of wifes shooting, my wife can nail bullseyes with her Colt detective special snub, woman and snubs are deadly lol.. She loves corbon +P 38 specials. I got a picture somewhere on my other PC of her shooting
Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrod3 View Post
Some blonds just ain't what they appear to be, in more ways than one.
LOL! Bingo.

Dan Wesson CBOB, Hk45, Hk P30, S&W 442, S&W 27-2 3.5", S&W 629-4 3", 686-6+ 3", WASR 10, BCM Mid Length build, PTR-91KF, Remington 870 Express, Remington 700PSS
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 AM

NO NO NO MITROD she didnt have a shotgun shes from TEXAS but the derringer in the BRA u have to watch out for !! just make sure u dont bite down on it !! lol