1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 PM

Stop the Insanity! PLEASE!

Please, for the love of Mike...

One of the most utterly annoying things about this forum, is that when someone quotes another's post; a post with pics, that quotation re-posts the pics from the former post. This is just stupid, and a useless waste of bandwidth!

You will never be able to educate the internet-uninitiated on how to avoid doing this, but it is an issue, easily addressed in the engine of this board.

I get tired of waiting for the same pictures to load (over and over and over...), in the same thread. Imagine the pains of the poor dial-up guys!

When someone makes a post, quoting a former post with pics, it should only include the link to the pic, NOT the entire .jpeg file.

Short of admin fixing this problem, will everyone, PUH-LEEEZ, remove the .img codes from your quoted posts!?!?!?!

I don't need to see the same gun, 23 times, in the same thread; everytime you decide to say, "Wow, [username], that's a sweet gun. Great pics!"
Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 PM

I agree...waste of bandwidth.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
---------------------------------------------------------
http://1911auto.org
Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator

I try to edit out said images when I come across them. It would be appreciated however if folks replying to such a post do their own editing... for sanity's sake!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 PM

You would think vBulletin being as powerful a package as it is would have an option in it to handle it automatically.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:20 PM
MarkW

I guess if Jason thought it was a problem and if Vbulletin has such a feature it would have been activated. That's just me though.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM

And guys I'll be honest...I'm a low tech guy in a high tech world - I have no idea how to do what you're talking about (I don't think I've been one of the offenders in that while I have quoted I think just text copied)
Old 03-05-2008, 07:19 PM

For the e-tarded, when you do quote from post with pictures, look for
the IMG (image). For exampe:

Wait, I can't show you example or it will show you the picture.

In the quote will be bracketIMGbracket, then a web address, then bracket
/IMGbracket. Delete bracketIMG throught the closing /IMGbracket to eliminate the photo.

Joe
Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Yeah, that does get annoying after a while. I'll try not to do that anymore lol
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM

im not seeing HTTP caching as disabled on the sites HTML so technically the multiple same images on the same page wouldn't be downloaded more then once. But yes, it is quite annoying to need to scroll down past an image ive seen over and over.

In any case, its normally a simple template/code change in vbulletin (basically something to the effect s/\[IMG\]/\[URL\]/i where any [quote] is called). But there are many downloadable modifications for this available at vbulletin forums if it were needed.
- cars make people drive drunk.
- spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.