Photobucket Warning!! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 06:09 PM

Photobucket Warning!!

I don't know where else to put this.....

Several weeks ago members of this forum advised I should use photobucket to upload digital photographs to this site. I went to the photogucket site, followed the instructions to become a FREE member which included giving them my email address and CELL PHONE NUMBER. It specifically stated they would not CALL me.

Well, only a few minutes after I registered, I started to receive text messages on my State cell phone (only cell phone) so I immediately cancelled my account. We only get 50 text messages per month and I did not want to write the State of Texas a check for text messages.

Today, I spoke with my Lieutenant who advised an auction company had placed a $9.00 fee on my ATT bill because of the text messages linked to photobucket. Anyway, read carefully if you sign up for photobucket, it appears there is some small print that I did not see.

I would really like to have the software to upload photos but its not worth getting my a** chewed again!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 PM

that must be a new policy. I've been a photobucket user for years and never had to give a phone number and I never have received any communications from them. sorry to hear that...but know, there are oodles of free hosting sites around. google it and you'll see. There is no reason for a free hosting site to have your phone numbers...that's just wrong.
NRA Life Member
Old 03-05-2008, 06:56 PM
MarkW

Never had a problem with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM

I been using photobucket since 8-8-04, and have 222 photos hosted there. I've never had anything like that happen.

However, after I dug real deep in to the "Privacy Policy" I found this:

ContactingYou for Offers and Promotions: You agree, in consideration for the use of the Services provided by Photobucket.com, to allow Photobucket.com to use your personal information to send you marketing and promotional materials. Photobucket.com may also send you marketing and promotional materials that promote third party products. Photobucket.com will not rent or sell your personal information for use by third parties. These materials may include, but are not limited to: newsletters providing you with additional information on how to use the Services, and promotional offers for goods and services from Photobucket.com or third parties

It sounds like they will send you spam.

But, like I said, I've never gotten anything from them.

Did you try putting in a fake phone number?

Last edited by primersinmyshoe; 03-05-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: fake number idea just came to me in a vision...
Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 PM

No, because they text you your pin number to get started. I probably just need to buy some software from Wal-Mart to resize the photos. Thanks for taking the time to read all of that. I'm doing good to get 45 minutes, twice a day to enjoy this site. I don't have time to research a site to make sure its safe!!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 PM

Sorry photobucket is being an a** these days. I didn't see what would happened if you tried to register without a cell phone #. What would a person do if they didn't have a cell?

Anyway, Microsoft has a free program that will resize your pictures. It's in with their Power Toys. It's called Image Resizer and is available for download here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx. I use it all the time.

You would still have to host your picture somewhere on the internet, and there are several other hosting sites. Perhaps other forum members can chime in with suggestions.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Never a problem for me, but I never give my phone number out. I told them since I don't have text messaging, they'd have to do it via email. They did. It's a great product, sorry you got screwed!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 PM

I've never had a problem with them. Thats odd. Also you should NEVER give your phone number to a website online.

Not even email if you ask me.

In fact, when I first registered here, I used a dummy Yahoo account that I use to subscribe to things so I don't get my real Email spammed. After I found out this site was cool, I changed to my normal email...

just set up a dummy yahoo or Gmail account. Its free and stops your from getting spammed into oblivion.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Spam. What an unfortunate name for unwanted e-mail.
I mean, I really like Spam...

Sorry.

NRA(Lifetime) & TSRA MEMBER and CHL holder, & always will be.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 PM

I had the same crap happen, thought it was the gunsamerica website because I joind both on the same night.

"It has been my experience boys and girls, that most personal problems can be solved with a suitable application of high explosives"
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM

I have been on the net long enough to know. Always have a alternate email to give people like this. Because you will be sent junk email! Never ever give your real number make up one!!!!!! Only my freinds and family have my primary email.......
If you watch King Of The Hill be like Dale Dribble..........
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Old 04-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Photobucket requires a phone number? News to me since I registered without a cell phone. I've have no trouble with Photobucket.