Why did my thread get locked? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Why did my thread get locked?

I am trying to gather information for caliber/brand for a concealed carry gun, but apparently I cannot ask a legitimate question without it being considered an argument. I am sorry, if I have caused any problems, I just do not understand why my thread was locked. I would PM the mod that locked it, instead of posting here, but I do not seem to have this option and he/she does not accept e-mails. I honestly just want to know what I did wrong, so I can correct my behavior to prevent this from happening again. As a moderator on a few truck forums, I respect all decisions made by moderators, however, as a moderator I always explain a locked or deleted thread to the original poster so they have the opportunity to correct their behavior. This is a legitimate concern/question. Please don't lock it before I can respond.

Last edited by a_tack; 03-23-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:43 PM

Maybe it was in the wrong forum? Just a thought....

OK, I just looked at it, and it WAS in the wrong forum. But it's also a topic that's been beat to death since gun forums have been around. If you did a search for 9mm vs. .45, you'd probably find a bunch of threads. And it's a topic that most folks stand on one side of the line or the other. Every caliber has it's proponents and detractors, but on a 1911 forum, it's gonna be .45 by far.

Last edited by rondawg; 03-23-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Administrator

X caliber vs. Y caliber doesn't belong in General Discusion. It belongs in ammo can. Specifically speaking, 9mm vs. .45 has been rehashed way too many times. It's like Ford vs. Chevy. We're no closer to a consensus than Day One and all that can result is a flame war as lovers of their pet caliber begin to get their feelings hurt.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
X caliber vs. Y caliber doesn't belong in General Discusion. It belongs in ammo can. Specifically speaking, 9mm vs. .45 has been rehashed way too many times. It's like Ford vs. Chevy. We're no closer to a consensus than Day One and all that can result is a flame war as lovers of their pet caliber begin to get their feelings hurt.
Then why was it not moved? I wasn't asking a ford vs. chevy style question. I don't really care which is better. I know next to nothing about guns. I honestly wanted to state my uses and see the pro's and con's of both calibers so I could see which was best for my use. I did not intend to start an argument, I simply want to figure out what is going to be best for me. Not whats best for everyone. Almost all of my posts on this forum have been questions about CCW and accessories. I figured I could get help by posting. I didn't think to place it in ammo can, because I thought ammo can was more for reloading and not questions about concealed carry weapons. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I will try to state my motives more clearly in my threads from now on. I didn't realize it had been discussed so many times. My search of the forum for 9mm returned 0 results. I always search before posting as to not duplicate anothers question. I hate it when people do that on my section of the truck forum, so i'm not about to do it to someone else.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Try 9mm vs 45acp. I got three threads of the type which you seek on the first page.
It does seem odd that 9mm by itself produces zero matches.

NRA(Lifetime) & TSRA MEMBER and CHL holder, & always will be.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
MarkW

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tack View Post
Then why was it not moved?
We don't move threads for members that do not take the time to read the description for each section of the board and ultimatley end up posting in the wrong section.

Also in the General section of the board there are stickies at the top of the page. To paraphrase on of those, Any thread found to be psoted in the wrong section of the board will be deleted or closed, with no explaination.

There is enough information posted in the description for each section of the board and the stickies at the top of each section of the board that members should never have a problem figuring out the does and dont's. That is if they take time to read them.

Now would be a good time to re-familiarize yourself with those rules and pieces of guidance posted throughout the board.

As far as the topic of your original question, here is two threads that might help.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...t=defense+ammo
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...t=defense+ammo

Last edited by MarkW; 03-24-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SistemaTodd View Post
Try 9mm vs 45acp. I got three threads of the type which you seek on the first page.
It does seem odd that 9mm by itself produces zero matches.

You can't search anything with fewer than four characters, methinks. Sort of rough on a "gun" forum.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks to all for your fast, courteous, and informative responses. I can now properly correct my behavior and will be sure to read the full descriptions of the forums before posting another thread. Sorry, I get lazy and in a hurry sometimes and screw up.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tack View Post
Thanks to all for your fast, courteous, and informative responses. I can now properly correct my behavior and will be sure to read the full descriptions of the forums before posting another thread. Sorry, I get lazy and in a hurry sometimes and screw up.
You know, stuff happens. I suspect you will find a wealth of information here. I did when I joined. People are, for the most part, a kind, warm hearted bunch. I cannot even begin to express how much information is available.

Welcome aboard.

Robert