"Mr.! Can these sights be adjusted?" - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 AM

"Mr.! Can these sights be adjusted?"

Once again I heard it this weekend. My responce, "Well.....let's see. Yep, they can, but do they need to be?"

Being a basic one hole shooter at 7-12 (my usual SD practice distances for static range shooting) and sometimes 15 yards out I keep having people (usually new shooters or a shooter with a new gun) come up to me asking whether their sights are aligned right and/or whether those sights can be adjusted.

As any of us would do....you look at their target pattern (usually YIKES ) and then ask to shoot their gun. The vast majority of the time the sights are basically dead on. It is then "show me your grip and how you shoot" time.

It happened again this weekend with a young man (his girl along and also shooting) and their new Ruger P95. He had owned the gun about two weeks and they were both getting a wider than one foot sized pattern at 7+ yards out with a good number of his total rounds going into a pattern right and low of center.......which was why he was asking if the sights were OK?

As it often turns out to be, the gun was dead on and he (they) needed a few basic shooting lessons as to sighting, grip, amount of finger on the trigger, trigger pull technique, and so on.

He was definately yanking back on the trigger instead of staging it so we talked that over and then he fired off a few more rounds. He was still a touch low and right but he got a much tighter pattern (all rounds within a two and a half inch group that time around) staging the trigger and squeezing back gently. We then talked over how much finger he had on the trigger (a lot) as well as how to do dry fire practice at home for a smooth trigger pull after he had the gun on target with the right amount of finger on the trigger for accurate shot placement.

All in all a good day at the range with encouragement given to another new and slightly frustrated shooter(s) who just needed someone to give some hands on advice. Solid improvement was there immediately and a much happier shooter(s) left the range that day.......also taking along my encouragment to write, call and e-mail their Sens and Reps to help keep our gun rights.

Be safe, shoot well......help others when you can.

Last edited by mitrod3; 06-04-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:08 AM

I was at an IDPA match this past weekend. I observed a young man shooting a P7. Not an amateurs firearm. However, he was using a Starsky and Hutch grip where he held his strong hand wrist with his weak hand. Haven't seen that one in a while.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
I was at an IDPA match this past weekend. I observed a young man shooting a P7. Not an amateurs firearm. However, he was using a Starsky and Hutch grip where he held his strong hand wrist with his weak hand. Haven't seen that one in a while.
BillD: I can honestly say I have yet to see a shooter using the Starsky and Hutch grip in my limited experience thus far, although I have seen some interesting grips being used at the range over the last couple of years.

The one shooter who has most amazed me (in terms of gip thus far) is a local surgeon who shoots his own S&W 500.......right hand only with the arm fully extended......going through one to two boxes of off the shelf rounds (not loaded down) per trip.

Have a fine week.