1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 AM

Introduction/Questions

Ahoy-hoy.

Funny me posting on a 1911 forum, as I don't even have one but I plan to change that one of these days. There was a govt issue lying around the house when I was growing up and have always been fascinated with them.

I plan on starting to show up and USPSA matches (I was invited) and ultimately plan on competing. I have a Springfield Armory XD .40, it qualifies in some divisions, I already own it and somebody is gracious enough to loan me some mags. Anyway, I'm sure you'll all wondering why I'm babbling about .40 in a 1911 thread. Well, I ultimate want to get good with a .45, specifically a 1911. By the time I'm ready to get one, I'm planning on spending in the 1k range (if I can pull it off) and and am NO kind of hurry. Here is what I'm liking:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/798681317608.html

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols.../goldmatch.php

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=9
Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 AM

I apologize for the double post, but what is the significance/function of the competitive belt. The deal with the under belt and the over belt. Would somebody please explain?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdolfski
I apologize for the double post, but what is the significance/function of the competitive belt. The deal with the under belt and the over belt. Would somebody please explain?

The inner-belt is "threaded" through the belt loops of your pants and is a stationary point for the outer-belt to be attached to the inner-belt, via lined velcro or belt keepers. The outer-belt also has the attached equipment (e.g. holster, magazine holders) already positioned so that you can make the equipment position repeatable each time you don on your competition rig.

I use the CR Speed nylon belt with the velcro lining - it keeps everything firmly in place when properly used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 10:16 PM

Another advantage is that your holster and mag carriers get to be placed exactly where you need them, rather than sacrificing fore or aft due to a belt loop in the way.

As for the 1911s in the 1k range, may I suggest use your 1k to buy a Springfield MilSpec, a magwell, 5 10-round magazines, belt/holster/mag carriers, and go compete in Limited 10? Maybe pick up a few DVDs, like Matt Burkett's Practical shooting series.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM

The 1k purchase is for a later date.

I will originally complete with a SA XD .40, 4" service model

I have a belt... and 3 mags (the local guy that runs it here said he'd loan me a few more mags till I got caught up). All I need now are mag holsters.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Not to flame, but everybody suggests 10 rd'ers for lim10. Why not spend the $$$ on good 8 rd'ers and shoot single stack? Then you already have mags for carry AND comp. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that the SS division is doing pretty good and USPSA prob will discontinue the lim10.

Also don't rule out the Colt XSE and Dan Weson Pointman models. Both should be in the "under 1K" range. Tracy

Last edited by tsp45acp; 03-02-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 PM

I advocate limited 10 over Single Stack because no local matches in my area have a single stack following. I'd be the only one competing, and while that may not be the case everywhere, I'm willing to bet there are others who feel the same. Until its permanent, I'll stay in Lim10.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Highly reccommend the Dan Wesson 1911's. Compare them side by side to anything in its price range, above and below even and you'll see what a bargin they are in terms of fit, finish and quality of parts too. You'll find them to be MIM free (except for the STI thumb safety), tool steel internals, Ed Brown and STI small parts (and Greider too if you buy the 10mm models.), target sights, Match accurate, MADE IN THE USA, etc. The list goes on and on.

I invite you to check out the DW section of this forum. Feel free to PM me too if you have any specifics about DW's, or DW's vs Kimber or SA, etc.

Chevy