Words of Advice? Competition Stress - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 PM

problem-sort-of-solved ?? THANKS FOLKS

Last night had some folks over for drinks and munchies. I had a sort-of-large whiskey drink at 5 PM.

We shoot at 8 PM. Alcohol had to be gone by then. Shot 96 points above my previous high !! ! ! (I had shot several 630 of the 900 course, shot a 724 last night)

Mainly, attitude. I did not spend the afternoon getting frazzled. AND I read and internalized the various advice. Especially the web sites. Lots of good info there.

Anyhow, it was a lot more fun being close to the others. Even beat one from the other club.

On a different note, I am hosting two bunches of newbie shooters in a "Monday Night Fun Shoot". That's a lot of fun. We shoot two National Match Courses" (six targets). Its a lot of fun to shoot there. I do not always have the highest score, but it's fun to see the shooters come along. There is a husband/wife combo that uses two hands (suspect that is not NRA approved) but they are having fun. (They bought two Buckmarks, and shot them for the first time (iron sights) in the "competition") AND this evening is recruiting people for the real league shoot.

best regards to you-all
Old 02-26-2007, 11:59 AM

I think you need to shoot more organized shooting matches and just get used to being around other shooters. Match nerves can really get you upset when you are starting out... but should gradually ease off... Maybe you are not prepared as well as you think... Your equipment should be ready to go, mags loaded, gun clean. You might want to try something that got me headed in the right direction... I started going shooting before the match and just fired maybe 50 rounds... just enough to loosten up and feel relaxed when later in the day I shot some more..
Old 02-26-2007, 12:32 PM

Ahhh yes... gotta love bullseye shooting. Stress in a match where precision is premium!

Lots of good advice given. (Not so sure about the use of drugs to inhibit stress but so long as it is prescribed by a doctor...)

I seldom shoot as well in a team match as I do in an individual match. There is much more pressure to do well in a team match. Pretty hard to get around that.

However, I too try to focus on my next shot. The last shot fired is DONE. Nothing you can do now or in the future will change that 7 or 8 into a 10.

TO shoot consistently (up to your physical potential) require you to be:

1. Confident
2. Relaxed

Confidence is a great way to help keep the heart rate down. Going into a match not just saying but BELIEVING that you will do well goes a long way to achieving that goal.

You also need to relax. It helps to have a rythym to the shot. Not meaning a cadence as you fire timed and rapid. But a set sequence of things that you do each time you put that gun box on the bench up to the last shot of the match. Visualize shooting a ten. Then DO IT. And if you don't, file that shot away and forget it. Visualize shooting a ten and DO IT... etc...

Set yourself a goal. Something reasonable like shooting 15 tens in a 900. Don't set a goal of a specific score. You will find you are mentally adding up those scores and introduce stress as you get close to attaining that goal (heck...I still do this!).

Train. Don't practice. When you go to the range on a non-match day set yourself some goals on what you are going to work on. Maybe slowfire only. Or shoot some 1 or two shot rapid fire drills.

Go to my website: http://NEPistol.com and check the download section for a downloadable training workbook. Also read the nuggets of wisdom pages.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 AM

It's a funny thing, shooting competitions. To do well, you must relax, to relax you must have confidence and to have confidence you must KNOW you can perform on demand. And to KNOW that, you have to have DONE well.

Have you ever fired a shot that you simply KNEW was 'in there' and when you looked, it was? I know you have, so have each of us. I bet it was the easiest, most natural shot you've ever fired. Downright efforless.

If you've done it once, you can do it again, ya just have to believe in yourself and relax. Just let it happen. Don't worry about the 10's and X's, they'll come. Focus on the basics and execute them, and the shots will be there.

And believe me, if other shooters don't laugh at MY scores, they sure won't even chuckle at yours.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutterranch
Bullseye shooting is almost a Zen thing! Concentrate on the front sight and absolutely NOTHING else!

...Don't worry about making a few people wait, get yourself ready first.
... Have fun.
Hi

I work with air rifle and pistol shooters, trap shooters, and I shoot Bullseye pistol. When I was Range officer at my first match, one girl took all of the 28.5 of the 30 minutes to shoot 20 shots in prone position. She shot 50 points better than any other shooter. No kidding, concentrate. When you shoot one into the dirt, think of what you did wrong, make sure you don't do it again, and from then on only concentrate on the NEXT shot. To quote from the coach's class, "The job of the shooter is to shoot one perfect shot." Repeat as necessary.

Remember, a day shooting 5's is still a better day than one spent putting up wall paper.

Mike
Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 AM

Just imagine everyone in their underwear.
Truly, you are there for fun and fun it should be. Let go. I found that once I beleive dhte following it got easier. You can not think about your last shot, it is gone and there is no sense thinking about the shots to come, you just have to be present for the one that is in the barrel now. Don't beat yourself up over mistakes, move on. Don't worry about the future, a match is shot one shot at a time.
The visualization trick really works for me.
Good luck and don't give up.

Last edited by John K; 03-02-2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Just got home from a match... I thought I would relate how it went and how I dealt with the pressure (good and bad)

.22 indoor only. 50 foot 900.

Slow fire 1: Started with 4 10's. Nice. Followed that up with an 8 a couple nines and then finished with a couple 10's and a 9. 95. Good start.
Slow fire 2: Started with a couple tens, an 8 a 9 and then I had an epiphany. I thought... hey... this is easy... you just put the dot in the middle and pull the trigger. Finished with a string of 10's. Slowfire total was a 192.

NMC-SF: I stayed with the same thought. This is easy... just put the dot in the middle and pull the trigger. 8-10's and 2-9's. 98. Cool. (NOTE: I had to challenge two 9's on that target. One was clearly in and the other was in but barely.)
NMC-TF: My favorite target to shoot... but sometimes wait way too long on the last shot. And I did. But pulled off a 100-9x FTW.
NMC-RF: OK... that bad thought starts creeping up in the back of my head... 'I might shoot the best score ever!'. Uhg... struggled to hold the gun steady but managed to keep them all in the 10 ring. 100-2 or 3 x. 298-12 or 13 x. Best NMC score ever.

TF: I am starting to feel the pressure. Keep telling myself just to keep the trigger moving. Struggled on the first target but managed to get a 99-??x
TF2: Calmed down a bit now. But wait too long on the last shot of both strings. 98-??x Not too bad. 197-??x. Still thinking my best score is within my grasp.

RF1: Feeling a lot of pressure now. Uhg. Pull my first shot in the white. Then keep the rest in the 10 ring. Next string put two in the 9 ring. 96-??x.
RF-2: OK... pressure is a bit less now since I am getting a bit frustrated with throwing away 7 points on my last 3 targets. Calmed down a little. First string put one in the 8 ring again but rest in the 10. Last string I put one in the 9 ring for a 97-??x. 193-??x.

Crap!

1 point off my all time best. 880-??x's. I had a realistic shot at an 888 if I put together a better set of timed and rapids.

So... I need to work not on shooting better but shooting calmer and stop thinking about my score!