most accurate out of the box? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 09:47 AM

most accurate out of the box?

I have narrowed my 1911 down to a few manufacturers but want a little feedback from you guys who do this on a continual basis. In your guy's opinion what is the most accurate 1911 out of the box for basically plinking , and your choices are between , STI, Kimber, and possibly a S&W, and Springfield ?? Any help that you guys and gals could give me would greately be appreciated.
I know everyone has their favorite and your opinions will be pretty bias but for a new comer to the 1911 I would like the most honest and informative material as possible. Just to let you know as of right now I have always wanted a Kimber but the STI's are pushing a little ahead right now, not that the other 2 are not on the table anymore but just need some honest feedback from some of you who might know better. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Knowledge

Learn howe to check out any gun before you buy it or go with someone who does. There is no brand that I would buy sight unsean. I was once in a gun shop that was having a Springfield sale ond I rejected all 10. However I still consider Springfield best. Out of the box 70series Colt National Match Trophy is probably most accurat as it was built for bullseye. Springfield Professional for both dependability and accuricy. I could write a book on just picking out a gun and many have been written. And I could still be wrong. If we could shoot the gun before we bought it like we drive a car before we buy it, well that would be ideal.............
Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 AM

I agree with Gene. Talk to a gunsmith and learn what to look for. After learning from Bob Brown (who posts here on occasion), 2 different times I have hand selected Springfield Milspecs. One is my bullseye hardball gun, which needed only sights and a minor reliability and trigger job. The other Milspec is my bullseye wad-gun and it only needed the same work as the hardball gun plus a bushing and I added some other parts that are non accuracy related. If you learn what to look for and are patient there are gems to be found out there. Unfortunately at the present moment even finding a single SA Milspec is like looking for a needle in a haystack, so your selection may be extremely limited at this time. But be patient and you'll find something nice.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

fryfly,

I know you're asking your question in all sincerity, but the true answer is that no one (major) mfg. is "more accurate" than another mfg. Like cars, each mfg. has entry level models and top-of-the-line models. The top of the line model from any mfg. will always be more accurate than the entry level model from any other mfg.

And you only named "production" manufacturers. If you really want outstanding accuracy, you'll have to look to semi-custom or full-custom pistolsmiths to build or re-build your pistol to higher accuracy standards.

Having said all that, if you're new to 1911's you can't go wrong with any model from any of the mfg's you listed. IMHO, of the four you listed, my order of choice would be S&W, STI, Kimber and Springfield.

Good luck and good shooting.....Rod.

Last edited by RetiredRod; 02-02-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 AM

Hello: Buy the Kimber custom II and put in a new barrel bushing. It will be as accurate as most $1500 pistols maybe better. You could do the same with the Springfield as well. My Grand Raptor shoots better with a tighter bushing as well. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric
Old 02-03-2007, 07:37 AM

Me

IME Kimbers and S&W 1911s normally exhibit excellent 'box' accuracy.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 AM

Of the brands you listed; the Kimber Grand Raptor and Springer TGO 2 are very accurate out of the box.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:22 AM

I heard from a reliable source that if you reload you will void the Kimber warranty. Apparently, Kimbers have some modifications that make shooting reloads unreliable in the Kimber. Other than that... I've heard nice things about Kimbers.

I've shot the S&W performance center .45. VERY accurate and one of the nicest triggers I have felt in a .45. I've also heard very good things about the STI.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutton
I heard from a reliable source that if you reload you will void the Kimber warranty. Apparently, Kimbers have some modifications that make shooting reloads unreliable in the Kimber. Other than that... I've heard nice things about Kimbers.

I've shot the S&W performance center .45. VERY accurate and one of the nicest triggers I have felt in a .45. I've also heard very good things about the STI.

If anything that is what I sometimes hate about kimber. All the BS they tell you. Ohhhh you have to break in gun, Ohhhh you can't fire reloads cuz this and that, ohhh its like that and within spec. Funny thing is you only hear crap like that from kimber.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 AM

My Team Match II has seen nothing but my reloads. Kimber's policy is written by lawyers. No offense to any lawyers in the crowd. Kimber just wants to free itself from suits regarding guns blowing up from stupid hot reloads. If you reload sensibly, go ahead and shoot them.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 PM

Most manufacturers state that using reloads will void the warranty. It is not just a Kimber thing. I know Glock has that policy as do several others.
I have heard that ALL 1911 take some breaking in, not just the kimbers.
The truth be told, most of the guns you are looking at have a greater accuracy ability than most shooter could ever realize.
Good luck. LEt us know what you decide.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:30 PM

front site issue

It is funny, a neighbor of mine got a Royal II and told me it wasn’t shooting well. He claimed it was jamming and inaccurate. He wanted me to go out and shoot it before he took it back. I took it out with standard “official” bullseye targets and it shot better than I could, easily a .50 cent sized hole at 20 yards with no malfunctions.

He was stunned. With a lot of practice a few months ago he came in fourth in a local match. I was stoked for him I attributed his issues to three things-unfamiliarity with the weapon, lack of lubrication and bad shooting habits-limp wristing.

My Springfield Black stainless shoots equally as well. Right out of the box it has been very accurate. When I rush a shot or don’t use the front indexing device-it is me and not the gun!

I think any of the none basic guns from a decent manufacturer will shoot well enough, but it is sure hard to tell without shooting them. That said Springfield has excellent service. No personal experience because my gun works fine-less the guide rod-replace with Ed Brown parts. That is the only change I have made. His Kimber shoots fine too. Reloads or factory shouldn't matter.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:49 PM

This what I have seen over the years and owning quite a few 1911's I have found that Kimber is the most accurate right out of the box. I have never owned a $2000 pistol but have shot a few and they are wonderful. If you are talking $1000 range and best accuracy its Kimber.
You will hear all kinds of bashing but Im talking accuracy here. My opinion is Kimber when it comes to accuracy. I have had many Colts , Springfield's , S&W and Dw. Almost forgot had a Para also. I am down to Colts because they are Colt and Kimber because I like the accuracy. Would love to try wilson , Brown and Baer but just do not have the funds and do not want to trade what I have to get one. Maybe someday my ship will come in but so far I either missed it or it sunk trying to get to me !!!!

Last edited by f4t9r; 02-16-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:52 PM

While I have not shot that many rounds thru my S&W 5 inch yet, it seems to handle anything I`ve put thru it. From questionable reloads to +P hot PD loads. S&W recommends only factory ammo but I figured what the hay....And it seems to have excellent accuracy. Sure it has to stand the test of time yet, but straight out of the box is excellent.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:43 PM

This is what I know to be true.

My STI Trojan 9mm with Metalform "Springfield" magazines runs flawlessly and is more accurate than I am.

My STI Trojans .40 and .38Super did not run. The feed ramps on both guns had to be reworked by Virgil Tripp. They run now and accuracy is not an issue. I compete with the .40 and carry the .38S.

My friend's STI Trojan .45 ran out of the box and is accurate.

They have a new 1911 out, the Sentinel. Jury's not out on whether they fixed the feed ramp issues known in the Trojan line. I'm patiently waiting range reports. I use my 9mm as my back up IPSC gun should something go wrong with the .40 during the match. I'd like a Sentinel in .40. It's very close to what I had made out of the T40.

I do not hesitate to recommend the 9mm or the .45 in the Trojan line.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 PM

STI Trojan..tough to beat
Old 02-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutton

I had a Kimber .45 shot reloads out of it all the time no trouble.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 PM

DW Patriiot Expert, PTE, under 1.25" at 50' or they don't ship it, comes with a proofed target. iT was around $700 retail too!
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -Robert A. Heinlein 1911's: 1918 Colt, PMA-B, PTE-B, 1976 GCNM, 1991 Colt in .40, 2001 SA 1911 in .40, Dan Wesson SSC!
youtube videos
Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

How accurate do you need?
I just had an SV rebuilt by SV. The lefthand gain twist AET barrel they used put 5 rounds into a cloverleaf at 20 yards. Obviously this is more accurate than I could ever hold...
Old 02-20-2007, 05:51 PM

I've fired reloads through my Kimbers and didn't have a problem. Very accurate and reliable, too IME.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 PM

I would purchase a standard 5 inch 1911 to start with, kimber . springfield , STI .... whatever . You will need to learn a lot to get that pistol to it's limit of accuracy in any case. A good trigger pull and good sights are your two best starts on shooting well. Getting any 1911 broken in well before you decide how reliable it is is also important. If it was my pistol I would shop for the STI or perhaps a used Les Baer TRS that you can afford.

Getting that gun out and having a plan on what you are going to do at the range for practice sessions are important. Your first magazine should be to just loosten up and get the gun throwing lead downstream.

Learn a lot about how to properly operate and clean and lube that 1911. You might want to consider getting some shooting instruction before you develop bad habits.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:06 PM

I purchased a classic target Kimber a couple of weeks back, a special edition made specifically for Gander Mtn only. I couldn't believe how accurate out of the box it was. I shot a few rounds through it to first get used to it then I adjusted the sights. after 100 rounds or so I put up an 8" shoot n see target at 50 feet , and out of 50 rounds I only missed 4 times and literally shot out the center. I never thought it would be that good straight from the box but even the flyers if you can call them that were literally non existant. The 4 outside the target were basically my own fault of course just being in a hurry to see what it could really do as far as recovery time, I was truly impressed with how well it settles back down for the next shot. If I had the money I would buy another without hesitation.

Last edited by fryfly; 02-26-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 PM

"STI Trojan..tough to beat"

Own TJ in .40 had some "teething" problems but was one of the 1st. guns. STI took care of it promptly, has run great since and is Superbly accurate with generic handloads using avg. plated 180's. For around $925.00 it's one of the best deals going, in my book. Handles and shoots like a $1,200.00+ gun.

John Steinbeck
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 PM

Ultimate Accuracy

If you want the ultimate accuracy in a 1911, both Les Baer Custom and Rock River Arms 1911s can be ordered with an accurizing job that will make the gun shoot 1.5 inch or smaller groups at 50 yards from a Ransom rest, using match ammo.

From what I have seen and read, these guns will usually shoot 3/4ths to 7/8ths of an inch at 50 yards.

Short of a single shot .22LR of the type used in Olympic competition, that's the ultimate.

"When one gets in bed with The Government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." Ron Paul
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM

[QUOTE=progunner1957]If you want the ultimate accuracy in a 1911, both Les Baer Custom and Rock River Arms 1911s can be ordered with an accurizing job that will make the gun shoot 1.5 inch or smaller groups at 50 yards from a Ransom rest, using match ammo.

how much is the accurizing?

I almost ordered an STI but they were over 14 weeks out for what I really liked and for the extras that I wanted I knew the Kimber for under $955.00 with tax out the door would be worth the money. I have shot 3 differen't brands through it so far and you can not tell the difference what you are shooting. to me that is worth it's weight in gold.
I don't want to go through 10 differen't brands to find out what shoots best, even though brands vary you would be hard pressed to tell my gun that. The best thing is I didn't have to order the accurizing or any custom shop modifications, it basically comes out of the box ready to go.
I used a bench rest at the range and a few shots went through the same hole, and for me that's good enough. I believe that most guns under a controlled enviroment will shoot pretty accurate it's the free hand stuff that really counts though and that varies depending on the shooter. I really would like to get into shooting bowling pins with my wife on the weekends and I beliver I have found the right combination.
I have thought about still ordering an STI Lawman though, don't believe you can have too many 1911's! do you?