Custom or semi bullseye gun - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Custom or semi bullseye gun

I am looking at getting a hardball gun for service matches. Am I better off having a custom smith like Bob Marvel (his website says sub 2") build me one or getting a semi-custom like Les Baer with the 1.5" guarantee?

It seems like if the price is comparable I would be better off with a custom, but i don't have any real world experience with guns like that. All of my guns are factory mass production guns.

At the Navy match I used a "van gun" borrowed from the stuff crane brought with them. One time the sight would be bottomed out and the next cranked all the way up, even though we were supposed to leave them alone. I figure if I have my own I won't have to deal with that and I can practice on my own at civvie bullseye matches. The navy match was not the place to be for it being the first time to ever seriously shoot one handed with other experience.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
More Cowbell...

A custom gun from Marvel or Masaki will have better resale value than a LB or RR.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:42 PM

Bob builds my pistols. My friend shoots a LB. We both prefer Bob's guns but he didn't have the patience for a Marvel. My marvels fit the way I want and the trigger is a nice smooth role and the accuracy goes without saying… Just my preference…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2007, 05:16 AM

EIC Service Pistol, aka Hardball Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy357
I am looking at getting a hardball gun for service matches. Am I better off having a custom smith like Bob Marvel (his website says sub 2") build me one or getting a semi-custom like Les Baer with the 1.5" guarantee?
Les Baer, Rock River [NOT Rock Island], Bob Marvel, and others are all capable of building a Service Pistol that will get you where you want to go. Because of the restrictions on Service Pistol there really isn't too much difference from one to the other, IMHO. At this point I'll put in a plug for David Santurri in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. He's well known and respected in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and his hardball guns are as good as any you'll find.

That said, I would not pay a premium for the 1.5" guarantee. Just because 1 person was able to get 1 group of 1.5 inches doesn't mean you'll ever be able to duplicate it. I think any shooter who has spent significant time testing pistols and ammunition with a Ransom Rest will agree. This is particularly true for Match Ball, which is not an easy product to make.

Availability is a not insignificant consideration with many good pistol smiths, so confirm delivery time with whoever you go with.

Enough rambling; Hold Hard
Distinguished Pistol Shot #1157
Distinguished Revolver #75
Old 02-25-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
At this point I'll put in a plug for David Santurri in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
so youre saying David is a Go-To guy? i need to do the same thing (build a service pistol) for the CMP E-I-C matches. they can also be used in NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye) but you cant go the otherway with the NRA guns...

does this sound like a decent price?

on MY Norinco:

Kart match barrel and bushing
Bomar rear and dovetail front sight
match hammer, sear and trigger
flat mainspring
bushing wrench

$750.00

while i would rather use a Colt's or even a Springfield, my springfield has front serrations (a no-no) and my colts have fitted beavertails (another no-no). i cant swing a new base pistol at this time and it sounded like a good way to go since David said he could work on my Norinco...

david
Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdave
so youre saying David is a Go-To guy?
does this sound like a decent price?

on MY Norinco:

Kart match barrel and bushing
Bomar rear and dovetail front sight
match hammer, sear and trigger
flat mainspring
bushing wrench

$750.00

david
Yes, I now get all my work done by Dave Santurri.

As to the quoted price, it's a good price.

I've never been unhappy with Dave's work-
Distinguished Pistol Shot #1157
Distinguished Revolver #75
Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
More Cowbell...

If you can swing it, I would just get a new Caspian for your build. Heck, new frames are around $150.

Norinco actually made good frames, but this way your smith has a clean slate to work with.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Caspian slides and frames cost $345. plus shipping plus NICS plus registration (i live in michigan)...

i just checked Caspian's site and they now cost $401 for a frame and slide set...

a like new Nork that i already have is a much better proposition money wise...

i had thought about it though...

david

Last edited by ltdave; 02-26-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVTMODEL
Yes, I now get all my work done by Dave Santurri.

As to the quoted price, it's a good price.

I've never been unhappy with Dave's work-
Ditto Dave's work. I have two guns built by him and he's very good. He's also a lot faster turnaround. His triggers sometimes need some work but he has been getting better and no one can doubt the accuracy of his pistols with match grade ammo.

EDIT: David uses Caspian slides and frames for all his work.