Wide Body 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2007, 06:18 PM

Wide Body 1911

Who all is making the double stack 1911's? Would like to pick one up, I dont want to spend over $1000 though. I'm thinking Para Ord is probably the best way to go.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 PM

Para makes some, SA make some, STI and SVI make some. I serious doubt you will find anything new under $1,000. I know you won't at STI and SVI.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRDaniels
I'm thinking Para Ord is probably the best way to go.
You will easily spend the ammount of a STI keeping that Para and its mags running.

I did. People told me not to reinvent the wheel. I thought I was smarter than they were.

I shoot STI and SVIs now.
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 07:33 PM

I have a Para Carry 12 that I got new in Dec06 and I have some where between 500-600 rounds through it and I have not had any problems at all. I really like the LDA trigger on it. It may have a longer reset but the trigger pull is still 5-6lbs and really smooth. I was going to get a second one but decided to get another SA for now, but another Para is on my long list of got to have.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
You will easily spend the ammount of a STI keeping that Para and its mags running.
+1
i have two friends who bought para P16 for $1k, then spent another $1k to make it work in USPSA limited division. add the frustration and the lead time.... my 02
Old 02-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRDaniels
Who all is making the double stack 1911's? Would like to pick one up, I dont want to spend over $1000 though. I'm thinking Para Ord is probably the best way to go.
Umm...I smell smoke but I'll bite anyhow. If you are on a budget, Kimber BPTen (internal) is a pretty good gun. I have an external and that (external) has been the only weak point and it didn't break until about 23,000 rounds. (I now carry a spare) but you wouldn't need to buy your extractors from Kimber if you bought a BPTen internal. You could get your parts anywhere. I use some Wilson and some C&S parts on my BPTen. I do successfully campaign it in IPSC L-10.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:48 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater
I do successfully campaign it in IPSC L-10.
But why shoot a fat gun/wide body in L-10?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 AM

I'll second what Tom said. Stay away from the Para's if you're gonna compete with it in Limited class. Para mags suck and are expensive. Their life span is about 2000 rounds and they are ready for the trash can. Para comes with junk parts. The Power Extractor is a nightmare. The Todd Jarrett model comes with a Dawson front sight and Cylinder and Slide ignition components but it still has the PXT and other parts and for the same price as a good used STI. You can pick up a good used STI Eagle or EDGE for around $1150-$1400 with some mags. That is your best bet. If you want a gun that will run......get a used STI that has about 5000 or so rounds through it that is known to be reliable. 5-10,000 rounds is really not a high round count for those guns. I've got a Limited minor gun with 125k and I'm fixing to rebarrel it.Stick with STI or SV.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:51 AM

I've got well over 20,000 through my para ltd. The only thing I changed was the front sight to a fo unit. Same mages too. I have 10 mags. Five are still new in the wraper. I did change the mag springs to wolf.

I found a springfield mispec wide body for under $500 new a a local gun store yesterday. I have heard only good things about those also.

$.02 for what it's worth
Old 02-24-2007, 11:09 AM

a fried of mine shoots in compitions with his paras and basically every one he had ,he had to have his favorite gunsmith tinker with it to make it run. and the mags are awfully expensive
Old 02-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 nut
a fried of mine shoots in compitions with his paras and basically every one he had ,he had to have his favorite gunsmith tinker with it to make it run. and the mags are awfully expensive

Have you priced sti/svi mags. They are atleast $20 more a piece than para. Most that I have talked to spend an aditional $30 to $50 per mag to make them hold more rounds and run properly.

Last edited by shadetree; 02-24-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:29 PM

I'm looking to get a 9mm or .40 S&W. I should have mentioned that in the first post. I already own a single stack that I can shoot limited ten with. I'm going to get this more for steel plates and maybe some uspsa. I already have a few pistols to shoot with in USPSA though so this is more for steel plates. I would mind spending $1500 for a quality pistol, but I can see spending $2500 for something to play with at local shoots and maybe some bigger events down the road. I'm not that serious into the USPSA but would like to get more involved in the steel challenge shoots. And I'm also planning on shooting the Masters this year. So I really want a wide body 9mm.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:16 PM

I have:

Entreprise Arms 40 caliber (Great gun, took some breaking it, used Para mags)

STI Edge 40 Caliber (good gun, shot it for 3 years, had magazine issues just like many other STI/SV shooters.)

2 Para 1640s each under $1000. I am an USPSA A Class Limited shooter and I shoot the daylights out one Para and the other one is pretty much new. Runs like a fine watch.

I read all the negitive about the Power Extractor (PTX), There did appear to be a few issues with the initial Power Extractors, but Para stepped up and corrected it. Two local law enforcement agencies are using Para LDAs with the PTX. They are putting thousands of rounds per month through those things and are not having any trouble.

Bottom line is that I can shoot what I want and I am shooting Paras.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:35 AM

'Cause I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman
But why shoot a fat gun/wide body in L-10?
Because when I purchased it, there was a legislative (Billy) reason for L-10, and the magazines were limited to 10 rounds. I wanted to campaign the gun because I believed it had merit as a hi-cap .45 ACP competition gun. I still think it does but Kimber seems to have lost interest in it. I still "run it" along with my Custom II (single stack) in IPSC L-10 (because i can, not because I should!)