1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 08:50 AM

Outdoor range noise

Hello all:

The club I belong to is outstanding in every way other than sporting clays (thankfully I have another great local club for that).

As is so often the case about a decade ago a high end housing development went in just outside of our property line. This has prompted a flurry of range development to make it all but impossible for a bullet to leave the property.

So all the ranges are shooting position cement pads, aluminum roofs, tables, and massive high walls in a series, each of which is filled with sand.

The problem is that now these reverberate structures not only direct all the noise back to the shooter, but lengthen to time exposure to the noise.

Plugs plus muffs helps, but not enough.

Have any of your clubs gone through this? How was it addressed?

I want to approach our BoD about it, but intend to come with suggestions in hand.

To be clear it's a common conversation among members when we run into one another, but it's a big club and it'll require getting ducks in a row before asking the BoD to for help.

Thanks-

Brent
Old 01-19-2020, 09:01 AM

Sad to say but this is a case of "suck it up buttercup" . Be thankful your new neighbors have not started complaining about the noise.

We have a local range and some moron walked into the city council meeting with a live round and said this hit my house. We all know this is impossible but these idiots will do anything to shut down a range.

Like you said plugs and get some high end electronic muffs and enjoy it while you can.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Plugs + muffs = at least a 50 db reduction in perceived noise levels. How is that "not enough"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 11:47 AM

Scubadad, sounds like our clubs are in a similar situation.

TRSOtto, I don't want to turn this into a db thread but there isn't any combination available that'll give you a 50 db reduction. I wish it was 30 db plugs + 20 db muffs= 50db reduction, but frustratingly that is not the case.

There is a lot of great data out there, but this is a good one:

https://www.audiologyonline.com/arti...muffs-and-1218

"Although the casual observer of HPD's labeled NRRs might conclude that in almost any noise exposure employees will be adequately protected (because labeled NRRs commonly range from 22 - 33 dB), that is far from the actual case. Many studies in the past 20 years have clearly demonstrated that in real-world environments HPD attenuation falls far short of the EPA-mandated NRRs that have appeared on packaging since the early 1980s (Berger et al., 1996). Thus in critical high-noise instances, where TWAs exceed 100 to 105 dBA, the use of dual hearing protection is warranted."
Old 01-19-2020, 12:04 PM

As regards the range, many outdoor shooting facilities are in the same boat and we share your pain. I don't know the details of your particular situation, but unfortunately, your Board's hands may be tied. It's a fine balancing act between continuing to do everything you can to keep the facility operational by mitigating (or trying to) as many of the external threats as possible while still trying to meet the needs of the membership as well as you possibly can. It's more of a losing proposition than anything else. In fact, your club may be under more pressure than even you may realize. It's infuriating and downright wrong what developers and local politicians can concoct when a shooting range, or rather, its land, is in their sights.

As for the hearing protection, double up indeed. Try the 'hack' of inserting foam in all of the cavities behind the earpieces where the electronics are. It's amazing how much more protection that affords.

Last edited by havanajim; 01-19-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:16 PM

havanajim:

I have lost far more hunting/shooting opportunities to housing development than politicians- though as you note no doubt local politicians are certainly part of the hidden mix as well. Ironically, last weekend was my last hunt at a treasured goose field in Indiana for this very reason.

Years ago when I was still into IPSC and ICORE I remember visiting an outdoor range that had what appeared to be a sort of acoustic blanket hung over any place that could have potentially directed sound back at the shooter. They worked well. I'm thinking maybe they were from this company:

https://acousticalsolutions.com/soun...g-a-gun-range/

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful response. We are certainly all in this together.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:46 PM

OP you may have to experiment with a few different combinations of plugs and muffs to get what you want. My only suggestion would be to buy or replace your current muff ear cups to gel. They seal better and seal around glasses earpieces better. Made a huge difference for me. I actually bought the Noisefighters with the glasses slots... so far like them a lot.

This is nothing new, but it still baffles me that developers build next to existing ranges and people buy next to existing ranges.... and then complain and want to shut down the ranges that were there [and just as loud] long before the stinking houses!!

Last edited by flechero; 01-19-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:50 PM

You could always ban ported barrels.

Their effect on muzzle rise and recoil is negligible. But to the folks standing watching a shooter.....they make the shot ridiculously more loud.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:15 PM

Flechero, I have good protection but wasn't aware there was a product that had cuts for glasses. Thanks. I'll look into that.

The impact of development on ranges and hunting is frustrating to put it mildly. Right on.

You could always ban ported barrels.

: )

I pack up when the muzzle breaks and ported barrels show up. I swear some ARs are engineered to be as loud as possible. I officially sound like a grumpy old man.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:16 PM

Hey it took me nineteen years to hit 1,000 posts. I'll drink to that.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:32 PM

The last 6 ranges (clubs) that I have belonged to (over 50 years!) were all shut down due to noise/encroachment.

Once the complaining begins it's just a matter of time!

In the mean time buy the beat ear plugs and over the ear protection you can afford.

All the best in 2020,
Old 01-19-2020, 05:41 PM

Same kind of thing happened when we bought our current house 20yrs ago. We basically bought just down the road from a 4th gen hog farmer, nuttin but empty fields around us. So over time things built up around and numerous new neighbors would show upon my door step wanting me to sign some kind of petition to for e my neighbor to get rid of his hogs (I was up wind) ,,, the last one pushed the right. Buttons and ended with me telling him to get the “f” off my property sincefarmer Joe had been their for many decades theyencroavhed on him and complained,simply put, just a-holes !
Old 01-19-2020, 06:05 PM

PassX- I really enjoy January waterfowl hunting in Indiana. I hunt a lot around Greenfield.

Michigan has a development problem, but I've never seen anything like the rate at which farms are being converted to housing like I have in Indiana. The lack of state land options like we have in Michigan is going to hit Indiana hunters hard.

My Indiana areas are still lawful for hunting- but what gets us is the minimum distance to an occupied housing rule.

Good for you for advocating for the farmer.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:54 PM

Im in Preble county OH six miles from the IN border. In my county they will not let you sell off a chunk of your property less than 20-40(not sure which one) acres. My wife went thru hell getting 3 acres split from the farm to build her house.

And yess we got a pig farm 1/2 mile down the road. When the wind blows just right
Old 01-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
We have a local range and some moron walked into the city council meeting with a live round and said this hit my house. We all know this is impossible but these idiots will do anything to shut down a range.
A similar thing happened here with the local indoor range. Some jerkoff presented a fired case to the news media and claimed it struck him as he was standing on the street outside waiting at the bus stop. He no doubt must have found it lying on the ground after it fell out of somebody's clothing and decided to concoct his little story.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:55 PM

Going back to the original post.

If you have room for it plant pine trees. They grow fast and they soak up noise pretty well. As does any porous surface. That is why drapes in a room work so well for absorbing sound. They obviously will not work for an outside range. But pine trees particularly if you can get a good thick belt of them will work well.