Reality? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Frankly, a drone strike on a refinery is the least of my worries. I believe that a drone strike, or two, on a major electrical hub, and we're toast.
I live in what is essentially a desert. My town is known for the riverbed that runs through it. All the water is diverted to farmland. Most of the city gets its water from wells.
No electricity, no water. With temperatures usually over 95░ here in the summer months, as was stated, 2-3 days and it will be time to move.
Massive earthquake in the Los Angeles area? Every road into and out of the area crosses a major fault. Nobody's getting out of town. Plus no water due to broken pipes and downed electrical.
This country's Achilles heel is not petroleum products. it's electricity. Without that, absolutely nothing is going to work.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
No seriously, everyone has this purile fantasy that everything will keep running. You know, public utilities like natural gas, water, and even electricity.

No way to get coal to electric plants, ie no gas, means no power is made. If the operators were still alive in time to do a complete shutdown of nuclear reactors, you will NEVER get those reactors online and running again unless you can hook them up to a completely functional national power grid.

SO all your left with is hydro electric.... and If something happens to lines, say a simple storm, you wont get replacement parts once everything in inventory is used up. Wait, no gas for line trucks so no replacement parts are going to be needed.

No natural gas so your in home natural gas powered generator will be useless.
My house uses propane.

You are correct, there is some naivety out there.

I think there are even more that never even consider it. The .gov has turned US citizens, especially those in large urban areas into mindless victims. They are naive enough to think the .gov to take care of them.

I also think there are folks that are, as you say, a bit naive about how and when things may go. That they can survive in hinterland "Unaccosted"

The ones that really chap my butt are the ones that stand and puff their chest out and chastize others because they are not "Woke" to what will really happen as only they know it and how willing they are to share their doctrine with us, the uninformed. They have the exact scenario and know exactly how it will go...... I think they are just as misinformed.

I think the key to success is practicing before now and shaking out your kit before your life depends on it That means everything from learning to fight, with and without a firearm, how to reload, how to can peaches and planting peach trees so they are producing when the SHTF. Drinking water from your collection system and knowing if you are going to stay or flee and how you will do each task. Learning situational awareness to see a bad event before it unfolds, whether its a storm, a gun fight or a blight of Japanese beetles.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
My house uses propane.

I think there are even more that never even consider it. The .gov has turned US citizens, especially those in large urban areas into mindless victims. They are naive enough to think the .gov to take care of them.

I also think there are folks that are, as you say, a bit naive about how and when things may go. That they can survive in hinterland "Unaccosted"

The ones that really chap my butt are the ones that stand and puff their chest out and chastize others because they are not "Woke" to what will really happen as only they know it and how willing they are to share their doctrine with us, the uninformed. They have the exact scenario and know exactly how it will go...... I think they are just as misinformed.

I think the key to success is practicing before now and shaking out your kit before your life depends on it That means everything from learning to fight, with and without a firearm, how to reload, how to can peaches and planting peach trees so they are producing when the SHTF. Drinking water from your collection system and knowing if you are going to stay or flee and how you will do each task. Learning situational awareness to see a bad event before it unfolds, whether its a storm, a gun fight or a blight of Japanese beetles.
people still think that no one else will raid the local grocery store and gas stations before they do, hell its going to be a shock for 95% of the population.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Californians are getting a severe dose of reality when their lights get turned off! I believe there will be some horror stories coming because people aren't or weren't prepared for this.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddie View Post
My house uses propane.

Good advice Eddie. I have said this for years. Try out your preps before your life depends on it. Bought a fire starter? Great. Have you tried it? No. How do you know it works? Binge watching Bear Gryls does not make you an expert.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
I think you all ignore a couple of realities.

First off, disasters will happen.

2nd off, even if the very worst thing imaginable happens, there is an indomitable spirit in mankind that has been personified in America with a will to adapt, adopt, and overcome.

Sooner or later, what is will be rebuilt.

Who knows, we might even be able to do it better and more efficient when forced to do so by circumstances we cannot control.

And if you don't think that "The End Of The World As We Know It" hasn't already happened multiple times throughout history, you've been ignoring history.
True enough. Study History. People are resourceful.

In CA we're having rolling blackouts PG&E says can last for days.
A terrible inconvenience for rural areas where people could rely on generators, have wells, wood for heat, and septic tanks----all of which are unlawful in urban areas thanks to our Liberal overlords---so the same inconvenience would be considerably more grim for urban dwellers.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:16 AM

Im in a part of the world we prep for cyclones( hurricanes) and floods yearly. Not real disaster stuff but gets you thinking.

My thoughts are in major collapse cities will be problematic to survive very long. Supermarkets will empty in a day, they aren't designed to hold much food, they are designed to sell it quickly.

If you are coastal or have a major waterway with some kind of watercraft( even an inflatable one in a backpack) it will be a lot easier to bug out on that than on roads.

My main aim in major SHTF is just to be able to survive in my region for 3 months without dealing with anyone. Its about how long it will take most folks to die off. After all ,the average guy has been training on Mcdonalds burgers and smartphone games his whole life to die a pointless death, I'm not going to get in his way. Once he has achieved his aims, you come out of hiding and deal with the real people, the survivors.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Supermarkets can't sell anything if the power is out, No cash registers or card readers.
Supermarkets can't keep frozen food frozen or refrigerated foods refrigerated without power.
Gas stations can't pump gas without power
Sewer farms can't process waste without power
Banks can't conduct business without power
Mass transit can't move without power
Wells can't pump water without power
Emergency services can't function without power
Old 11-16-2019, 05:06 AM

If you want to survive TEOTWAWKI, subscribe to frugal forums. Everything you need to know and more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mm= 45acp set on "stun"
Old 11-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Badger View Post
If you want to survive TEOTWAWKI, subscribe to frugal forums. Everything you need to know and more
Which one? There are a bunch of them with Frugal in the name.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
What will happen is, NOTHING. Most of the world population will be wiped out.
A very large part of the third world has long lived the end of the world that we know it scenario.
What's the difference?
Western Civilization.
Have any of you guys studied it?
Or are you fixated on old FMs and fantasy Sci-fi?

Consider all the disasters experienced so far---fires floods hurricanes droughts earthquakes freeze cyclones sanitation(thank you SF and LA) crime sprees, nuclear meltdowns tsunamis and rioting.
You'll find zero zombies.
And the most damage done to society done by organizations---including all branches of government---that is ignorant of Western Civilization.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
A very large part of the third world has long lived the end of the world that we know it scenario.
What's the difference?
Western Civilization.
Have any of you guys studied it?
Or are you fixated on old FMs and fantasy Sci-fi?

Consider all the disasters experienced so far---fires floods hurricanes droughts earthquakes freeze cyclones sanitation(thank you SF and LA) crime sprees, nuclear meltdowns tsunamis and rioting.
You'll find zero zombies.
And the most damage done to society done by organizations---including all branches of government---that is ignorant of Western Civilization.
When the best rebuttal of logic is that non western countries simply go back to some sort of Somalian style system of local warlords....
Old 11-16-2019, 12:23 PM

It would certainly appear.

Quote:
When the best rebuttal of logic is that non western countries simply go back to some sort of Somalian style system of local warlords....
That we are heading in that direction.

http://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=19009
Old 11-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
That we are heading in that direction.

http://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=19009
Or CAESARISM
https://youtu.be/vKb01XLPR7E
Old 11-16-2019, 04:29 PM

Need to specify the disaster to have a rational discussion...No matter how much one prep's there could always be a disaster which outlives your preparation's.

Natural disaster's happen all the time and are dealt with reasonably well for the well prepared (and with a little luck). If living on the continent and survived the initial "shock" you will likely be rescued - at least eventually.

But if the mega natural disaster's happen, like a huge comment striking earth, that huge volcano under Yellowstone blowing, all bets are off. These are extremely low probability events and worrying about them a waste of time.

Probably the biggest event, which is much more likely than the above, and which would be long-lasting and devastating and hard to recover from, I would say is a nuclear explosion on continent US. It could be from a mistake (could be a mega-bomb), a terrorist (might get lucky and be a smaller bomb), or a nation - rouge or not (also could be a mega bomb or even many of them). Depending on your proximity, it would kill you right away, kill you years latter, or be survivable. If you survive, one thing to be sure of, our way of life will not be the same in our lifetimes (just think how 911 has impacted society and compared to a nuclear event it was "tiny").

We have food and water for 2 month's and a natural gas generator (G&A of course too), which will cover most med-small disasters in continent USA. Life isn't forever and I'm not going to spend it worrying about disasters by doing any more prepping than we have. Stay in God's grace now and you will be all right when it is time to "go".
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 11-16-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:33 PM

If you are really looking for some inspiration?

To put you on the road towards having some measure of resilience. Then one might be well advised towards reading the works of Mr. Bill McKibben.

I am currently reading his latest work "Falter". It is a real eye opener.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:04 AM

The reality is that TEOTWAWKI is deeply personal.
Survival is temporary---join a gym, get a flu shot, have that cardiac bypass, pack the latest Glock---it's all temporary.

Kenny Rogers sung The best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep

Perhaps you can resist an attacker today, or even take an attacker "with you" tomorrow(remember the closing lines in the movie Beckett(1964) when Thomas speaks of the monk who brought along a sword when a gang of the King's henchmen attack, something to the effect of Oh Lord, if he could have just gotten one of them it would have made him so happy!)
But eventually it's going to end with your own personal TEOTWAWKI. Never mind that you've got a better chance of being run down by a sow Buick in a Walmart parking lot than riding an A-bomb into Siberia like Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove.

Protecting your loved ones from harm is noble and I say a sacred duty which all able bodied red blooded men inherit, but that seems to be a very different thing from TEOTWAWKI scenarios I read about here
Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 PM

Any preparation is better than none.

But I see a lot of "if I can't prep for every conceivable eventuality, why even bother?"
Old 11-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX302 View Post
Any preparation is better than none.

But I see a lot of "if I can't prep for every conceivable eventuality, why even bother?"
True enough. My thoughts are to plan for options to provide necessities---clean water, a safe environment, social and civil continuity.