1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Is anyone still having barrel issues?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 PM

Knock on wood; no issue with mine after digesting a mix of several hundred target and 1,200 +/- fps loads. The link and lug on mine appear to be set up properly. Time will tell.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 PM

I bought one when they first came out. My first 1911. Somewhere around 2500 rounds as of last week. Freedom Munitions new & reman & S&B No problems so far. It shoots great.
First target out of the box.

LOVE my Ruge r SR1911 in 10mm.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:22 PM

This was on my next buy list but after the problems with a Redhawk 45lc/45acp and the problems you have had with your 10mm I think I will pass for now. Good luck. They are fine looking 1911's.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 PM

What issues did you experience with the Redhawk?
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:24 PM

To students of JMB's design, these two failures might cause one to recall the discussion (by JMB) of minimizing barrel weight in the original patent filings. JMB noted that the rearward motion of the barrel comes to a "hard stop" (my words)... unlike the slide, the barrel is not arrested by the recoil spring ("reaction spring" in patent). And the heavier the weight of the barrel, the more severe the impact forces become. Obviously, a 10mm chambered bull barrel weighs more than a .45acp chambered standard barrel. And it is driven back by greater energy of the 10mm round. Kind of like starting out with a two strike count.

This does not negate the importance of a proper "bow tie" cut in the VIS, but it is perhaps of some interest to contemplate. JMB was quite talented, and he knew a thing or two about these matters. I own a 10mm 1911 (Wilson Hunter), so I'm not intending to rebuke the 10mm chambering concept. Instead, I'm only sharing reflections on what JMB noted in his patent more than 100 years ago. I doubt that he would be surprised in the least to hear of cracked barrel lugs in a 10mm incarnation of his original .45acp design.

(On the "flip side", today's metallurgy is improved over what existed in year 1911, and a ramped barrel design probably further strengthens the lower lug area).

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-18-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:09 PM

if any pistol benefits from a flat bottomed firing pin stop more than others, the 10 mm can sure benefit from slightly reduced rearward slide velocities...
Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM

I have two 10mm Ruger 1911's one with adjustable sights and a Talo.
They have shot about 500 rounds each, my handloads, mostly these two:
150 JHP @ 1,400 fps
180 JHP @ 1,228 fps
No barrel problem so far.