Sr1911 ftf - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Sr1911 ftf

Hey guys. I have my full size SR1911 in .45 ACP that keeps having failure to feed issues. Whenever I am shooting, the next round will not completely go into the chamber and I find myself having to keep bumping the slide or even clearing the gun for it to completely go into battery. The gun is well broken in by now, having close to 800 rounds through the barrel. It’s well maintained as far as cleaning and lubing. I read that these guns come with a 18.5# spring, so I switched it to a standard 16# one. The issue got a little better but not by much. I am using all good magazines with it such as Wilson, CMC and the factory mags. As far as ammo, i use a mixture of factory and reloads that I trust, but with this gun, I use more factory to try and pinpoint the issue. Whenever I disassemble it, nothing seems broken or damaged, but I’m by no means a gunsmith. I’ve read multiple forums about this same issue and the only thing that I’ve found that I have not tried is use a drop of lube on the feed ramp. Other than that, I am at a dead end on what else to do to try and find a solution. Is it something that I am missing or not doing correctly? Or could it be a part on the gun not functioning properly? Any help would be much appreciated
Old 06-08-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent.45 View Post
Hey guys. I have my full size SR1911 in .45 ACP that keeps having failure to feed issues. Whenever I am shooting, the next round will not completely go into the chamber and I find myself having to keep bumping the slide or even clearing the gun for it to completely go into battery. The gun is well broken in by now, having close to 800 rounds through the barrel. Itís well maintained as far as cleaning and lubing. I read that these guns come with a 18.5# spring, so I switched it to a standard 16# one. The issue got a little better but not by much. I am using all good magazines with it such as Wilson, CMC and the factory mags. As far as ammo, i use a mixture of factory and reloads that I trust, but with this gun, I use more factory to try and pinpoint the issue. Whenever I disassemble it, nothing seems broken or damaged, but Iím by no means a gunsmith. Iíve read multiple forums about this same issue and the only thing that Iíve found that I have not tried is use a drop of lube on the feed ramp. Other than that, I am at a dead end on what else to do to try and find a solution. Is it something that I am missing or not doing correctly? Or could it be a part on the gun not functioning properly? Any help would be much appreciated
My usual first guess on this is mags with weak springs. I experienced that issue with my sr1911 CMD with some old Wilson Combat mags recently. But it sounds like youíre experiencing it with a variety of mags. And it also sounds like youíve tried a variety of ammo, which would be my second guess.

Youíve already tried all I would know to do. Looking forward to reading what others suggest. Good luck getting it figured out! If push comes to shove, call Ruger, and they will take care of you.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:42 PM

JI would probably call Ruger & let them figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 08:47 PM

If it were my gun, I'd check to see if the extractor tension is too tight.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC16 View Post
If it were my gun, I'd check to see if the extractor tension is too tight.
How do I go about doing that? As I stated before, idk what I’m doing when it comes to gunsmithing
Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 AM

Update: I looked up how to check the extractor tension and I checked it on mine and from what I saw on Wilson Combat, I believe that the tension on mine is a bit too tight. I’m going to have a local shop double check for me just to make sure I’m right. Thanks a lot for that suggestion!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:38 AM

I had Extractor problems with my Ruger commander.
Replaced the Extractor and the gun runs great now.
A quick test is try feeding a round from the magazine as it is now.
The round will feel like it's hitting at certain points as it chambers.
Now remove the Extractor and repeat the test.
The round will chamber like grease through a goose.

Extractor needs adjustment. Mine had way too much tension.
And I think the hook wasn't right.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:22 AM

I would say that 99% of the problems with 1911 .45's are magazine related..
Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
How do I go about doing that? As I stated before, idk what Iím doing when it comes to gunsmithing
Extractor tension is very easy to do yourself, before going the local gunsmith route, check this video out. Might help.

https://youtu.be/YwsV1GE6yXw
Old 06-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC16 View Post

Extractor tension is very easy to do yourself, before going the local gunsmith route, check this video out. Might help.

https://youtu.be/YwsV1GE6yXw
I followed the procedure and gave it a slight bend and when I tried to chamber a round, it did feel smoother than before. So I might have to go shoot a box of 50 or 100 to see how it functions
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I followed the procedure and gave it a slight bend and when I tried to chamber a round, it did feel smoother than before. So I might have to go shoot a box of 50 or 100 to see how it functions
Good choice. tom.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:31 AM

A quick simple test for this problem is to remove the extractor and then see if a round will manually feed easily. If it does then the extractor is your problem.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Update: I went out shooting today after previously messing with the extractor and I can honestly say that there was a BIG difference. I didn’t have nearly as many ftf. I would only have one maybe every other set of like 9 mags compared to one literally every mag. I would say I need to adjust the extractor just a hair more and the gun would operate like it should with minimal malfunctions
Old 06-17-2019, 05:45 PM

You would think checking extractor tension would be part of the basic checklist before a gun leaves the factory.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfut808 View Post
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]You would think checking extractor tension would be part of the basic checklist before a gun leaves the factory.
I thought the same as well. I guess it’s one of those “If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself”.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Check for a burr around the firing pin hole on the slide. Sometimes that will stop the case from sliding up under the extractor. HTH
Best,
Rob